Page 167 of 333 FirstFirst ... 165166167168169 ... LastLast
Results 1,993 to 2,004 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Do you mean the Atlanta Falcons who were 13-3 and finished first the year before they selected Julio Jones, and went 10-6 and 13-3 since they drafted him? He hasn't made much of a difference in the team result so far. Sure he's great, but at what cost?
    It's pretty short-sighted and erroneous to just look at the final result and say Julio Jones hasn't had an effect. If we really want to look at a pure "results" oriented evaluation, the Falcons won 0 playoff games before Jones and now have made the NFC Championship with him.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Good points.

If Jake Matthews and Taylor Lewan come out, Johnson would be the 5th best tackle prospect and not the 3rd. Those two dont return to school and Johnson probably goes in the 2nd round.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    The point still remains if the guy can play (and a lot of pundits think he can), it doesn't matter if maybe he would have been a 2nd rounder next year. What is a good left tackle really worth? Definitely a 1st, 2nd and 4th.

Of course if Ozzie doesn't agree, the point is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    The point still remains if the guy can play (and a lot of pundits think he can), it doesn't matter if maybe he would have been a 2nd rounder next year. What is a good left tackle really worth? Definitely a 1st, 2nd and 4th.

Of course if Ozzie doesn't agree, the point is moot.
    And because he isn't a sure thing, why do it?

Players with a true value of the second round or late first aren't sure things.

He obviously has the huge advantage of youth on his side, but I don't think he'd be any better than McKinnie for the first year or 2 honestly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Cool Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Tell that to the Falcons who traded up to get Julio Jones. Tell that to Ozzie who traded up to get Joe Flacco.

Besides we're not talking about reaching. We're talking about trading up to take a player around where he is expected to go. Big difference.

It's not the cost that matters its the player. If the player is a good player (especially at LT) he's priceless. If he sucks, then he's a waste whether he was a 1st rounder or 5th rounder.

So if you see a guy and you like him and he fits a need, by all means trade up, especially when the team has a dearth of picks.

If Ozzie doesn't think Lane Johnson can be a good LT then obviously he's not going to do it but from everything I've seen he can be the anchor for the next 10 years. What is that worth? An extra 2nd and 4th? Hell yes.
    Falcons got knocked out by SF and the Ravens traded down and got a King's ransom before trading back up to grab Flacco. That's a big difference!

I'm wondering if T'eo could be "sort of" this year's Burfict. Remember him? A steal for the Bengals.

Oz must be prepared to lose MOST of the following: . . . never mind, we all know the names. And we know Oher is NOT a better LT than an old, overweight, undermotivated enigma.

Oz must fix: NO OL depth; NO LB depth (and maybe not even a full group of starters); NO WR depth (with Boldin and J Jones gone); thin CB depth (we can not count on Webb; C Williams will be gone; Jimmy Smith is . . . ?); NO FS; little/no pass rush (can not assume Sizzle ever comes back 100%; Kruger likely gone); no NT, etc.

I'd love to see us make a big splash, trade up and grab a stud or two, but given all our holes and thin spots -- and cap situation -- I do not think we have too many draft choices. If the worst case really happens, we will need all the picks and all of Oz's magic.

Are we the next Manning-led Colts: great QB, a handful of quality players, and a dozen "guys"?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    And because he isn't a sure thing, why do it?

Players with a true value of the second round or late first aren't sure things.

He obviously has the huge advantage of youth on his side, but I don't think he'd be any better than McKinnie for the first year or 2 honestly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No one is a sure thing. What's the difference between trading 1st, 2nd and 4th, for a bust or drafting guys with your 1st, 2nd, and 4th picks who are busts?

There is no such thing as "true value." What is the true value of Joe Flacco after Sunday's game. If we re-drafted the entire league right now how many picks would he be worth? 7? 8? Maybe an entire draft?

In the same way what if Lane Johnson becomes a bookend for 10 years? What is he worth? Or how about if he is just a solid LT? To me thats worth two extra picks because as it is, other than an aging McKinnie we don't have a tackle on the roster worth shit.

If you don't think he's that good then that's one thing. But you can't be afraid to trade up for a guy who you do think is good just because he might bust out.

I think Te'o's drop has much more to do with getting run over in the National Championship game than the girlfriend thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    I think Te'o's drop has much more to do with getting run over in the National Championship game than the girlfriend thing.

I agree....but he may struggle to earn respect as a leader no matter where he goes. Let alone if he struggles with the pro transition.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

No, just stop it, we're not trading up 15 spots to get a OT who while yes, he looked great at the combine, is still actually pretty raw on film, Ozzie has never traded up THAT far before.

There are a lot of mocks going around with us taking Manti Teo at 32, I'd be pretty happy with that. I'd also be happy with Matt Elam or Tyler Eifert.

I agree I am also starting to get on board with the top tight end idea. What is the big difference between Eifert and ertz? Ozzie has to work his magic this offseason because front the outside looking in we're in bad shape with the cap and free agency. I think we're going to have so many holes after free agency that even if Ozzie wanted to trade up we wouldn't be able to because we may not realistically be able to keep anyone. Much like the purge after the 2000 season. Giving out ridiculous contracts willy nilly and not resigning quality players is coming back to bite us

Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    I agree I am also starting to get on board with the top tight end idea. What is the big difference between Eifert and ertz? Ozzie has to work his magic this offseason because front the outside looking in we're in bad shape with the cap and free agency. I think we're going to have so many holes after free agency that even if Ozzie wanted to trade up we wouldn't be able to because we may not realistically be able to keep anyone. Much like the purge after the 2000 season. Giving out ridiculous contracts willy nilly and not resigning quality players is coming back to bite us
    I think Ertz is a more complete TE, personally. But I watched more Stanford games than Notre Dame so maybe I'm off base.

I don't think we have as many holes as people want to think we have. I think Flacco gets done and we have the room to retain a lot of our key players, who are young.

DLine: Actually in OK shape with the rise of Art Jones and return of McPhee. Cody on the bubble.
    OLB: Kruger most likely gone, but situational pass rusher will be found somewhere. Upshaw will improve as will Suggs after a full offseason recovery.
    ILB: Ellerbe is priority #1 on the defense. Draft or FA has to address this. Serious need.
    CB: Stacked (Webb, Graham, Smith, Brown) even with Cary leaving
    S: Even if Reed returns, I don't trust his injury history and would like to have a good backup.

OLine: Fine as long as we re-sign McKinnie, developmental tackle can be grabbed
    WR: Stacked unit with serviceable young guys as depth
    RB: Stacked, even if Leach is cut
    TE: Pitta is good, but no one else remarkable. Caldwell might like to shift to using 2 TEs. This is why I see us addressing this.

Thus by need I think our priorities are along the lines of:
    ILB
    TE/S
    OLB
    OL
    DL

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I think Ertz is a more complete TE, personally. But I watched more Stanford games than Notre Dame so maybe I'm off base.

I don't think we have as many holes as people want to think we have. I think Flacco gets done and we have the room to retain a lot of our key players, who are young.

DLine: Actually in OK shape with the rise of Art Jones and return of McPhee. Cody on the bubble.
    OLB: Kruger most likely gone, but situational pass rusher will be found somewhere. Upshaw will improve as will Suggs after a full offseason recovery.
    ILB: Ellerbe is priority #1 on the defense. Draft or FA has to address this. Serious need.
    CB: Stacked (Webb, Graham, Smith, Brown) even with Cary leaving
    S: Even if Reed returns, I don't trust his injury history and would like to have a good backup.

OLine: Fine as long as we re-sign McKinnie, developmental tackle can be grabbed
    WR: Stacked unit with serviceable young guys as depth
    RB: Stacked, even if Leach is cut
    TE: Pitta is good, but no one else remarkable. Caldwell might like to shift to using 2 TEs. This is why I see us addressing this.

Thus by need I think our priorities are along the lines of:
    ILB
    TE/S
    OLB
    OL
    DL
    I hear they are both very similar players, ertz seemed to take over games more often from what people tell me but Eifert is the better all around tight end. As far as holes go we primarily have to either resign or extend some of our guys. My problem with extending or restructuring is that we may end up like Pittsburgh and may have to do a complete purge at some point in time.

Qb-obviously good resigning joe will help with our cap room and retaining some of our own guys. The timing of this could be a huge factor in that

Rb- solid. Pierce could start on any team in the nfl and rice is always solid
    Fb- leach is gone IMO. Truly depends on caldwells system
    TE- pitta is solid, Dickson showed flashes of big play ability with a few big plays but still has issues catching th ball cleanly
    Wr- I am of the notion that one of jacoby or Boldin will be back not both. However the dead money may factor in to either. Jacoby is a dynamic returner who was huge in the field position game. His speed also made for some huge plays this season opposite smith. This is the biggest question mark for me. Doss has shown flashes, streeter and Thompson are question marks although reed or Thompson may be able to take over returner. If a stud receiver falls or is BPA at some point I could see the team taking a flyer.

Oline- interior may be set for years to come depending on how comfortable the team actually is with gradkowski. Oher will be starting an one of the two tackle positions next yar and depending on which one that is determines how much of a strength that is.I hope we sign McKinnie for 1-2 years laden with incentives and take a developmental player in the draft. This is also important because I think that they have to find a way to keep osemele inside at LG he was serviceable at RT but is much more suited with his strengths inside. A Rt in FA or jab Reid could also be an option

Dline- 2nd biggest priority IMO behind resigning Ellerbe. Even though Cody has improved, the position over all needs an upgrade over him and kemo. With the league changing to a passers, duel threat quarterback league the need for a DT/NT with the ability to pass rush is crucial. Cody has terrible technique and gets manhandled at the LOS more often than not. A cheap FA could be the option as well as the draft. Ngatas knee injury depending on severity will go a long way in how the team handles this position. Arthur jones and McPhee are situational players who can have an impact with fresh legs. Another rotational player is needed for depth. Hall and Tyson were impressive in limited time.

OLB- Kruger is gone. Upshaw will replace him but no where near the pass rusher. Suggs ability to continue to be effective depends on his rehab. We have depth but no true healthy play makers

Ilb- we have to sign Ellerbe. There is just no other option. He was th defenses MVP this season beside maybe pollard. McClain may very well never play again due to his spinal cord injury. BA and Bynes are depth players. A linebacker with speed will be taken in the draft, combine that with ellerbe and the position is solid.

Cb- Williams is gone, he has made a name for himself and has improve immensely throughout the season he will have a payday somewhere else. Corey graham had an amazing season and will start next year. i am Hopeful Webb can return healthy but with the reemergence of jimmy smith and solid depth play from chykie brown this position is solid

Fs- whether he retires or not reed will not be back next season. He is looking for one last payday and the ravens are strapped. There is no chance of him taking a team friendly deal. Hopefully he retires. Safety will be addressed in the draft, I am hoping for a Matt Elam or similar player early. Christian Thompson was placed on IR so his abilities are unknown. Omar brown is oft a special team player or a healthy scratch

Ss- pollard is solid point blank. He's durable as it was reported he played with broken ribs in the Super Bowl. He's questionable in coverage but is a force in run defense.

I think priorities have to be:
    Sign flacco early to get his cap down
    Sign Ellerbe
    Make a decision on Boldin jones mckinnie and Kruger
    Draft a S, ILB,NT,developmental T, and the rest BPA or trades.

The ravens are now an offensive team and while I agree with the notion that we need to continue to build the offense we cannot afford to neglect the defense. Personally I do not want the ravens to become the manning era colts. This is the draft to rebuild the defense and I think that we can get away with this season specifically is because the ravens will have Caldwell next year. Flacco will continue to grow as will the offense, the defense needs youth and more importantly speed.
    Last edited by JCroUSAF; 02-05-2013 at 05:56 AM.