Page 166 of 333 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176216266 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,992 of 3987
  1. Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread



    I'm really interested in seeing Te'o's combine numbers. He's a hell of a football player, but his lack of speed scares me. I find it ridiculous that this stupid girlfriend thing has dropped his stock, but it could be perfect for us and be the biggest steal of the draft IMO. He's got great size, instincts and is a beast in the run game. I especially like him if they did change to a 4-3. Ellerbe playing 4-3 OLB




  2. #1982
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,349
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post

    Tell that to the Falcons who traded up to get Julio Jones. Tell that to Ozzie who traded up to get Joe Flacco.

    Besides we're not talking about reaching. We're talking about trading up to take a player around where he is expected to go. Big difference.

    It's not the cost that matters its the player. If the player is a good player (especially at LT) he's priceless. If he sucks, then he's a waste whether he was a 1st rounder or 5th rounder.

    So if you see a guy and you like him and he fits a need, by all means trade up, especially when the team has a dearth of picks.

    If Ozzie doesn't think Lane Johnson can be a good LT then obviously he's not going to do it but from everything I've seen he can be the anchor for the next 10 years. What is that worth? An extra 2nd and 4th? Hell yes.
    Valid points, but considering the holes this team will potentially have and NOT be able to do much in free agency, they may need all 11 of those draft picks.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #1983
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,349
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    I'm really interested in seeing Te'o's combine numbers. He's a hell of a football player, but his lack of speed scares me. I find it ridiculous that this stupid girlfriend thing has dropped his stock, but it could be perfect for us and be the biggest steal of the draft IMO. He's got great size, instincts and is a beast in the run game. I especially like him if they did change to a 4-3. Ellerbe playing 4-3 OLB
    I'm just not sure if he is slow or people are saying he is slow. He's no CJ Mosely, but T'eo isn't exactly just a two-down thumper like Levon Kirkland or something.

    I think T'eo could very well be there when the Ravens select in round 1 and I think he is something that Harbs and Ozzie coukd really get behind.

    If you remove the naivety from the catfish/hoax thing...what do you have?

    Multi year starting inside linebacker in 3-4, 4-3, and nickel sets.
    Very productive against the run.
    Dropped weight and improved on his coverage ability by a lot.
    Knack for big plays.
    Fundamental player.
    Locker room guy.
    Very humble and religious.
    Never been in trouble on or off the field.
    Good student.
    Dropping because of 1 bad game in which the entire Irish defense got dominated by the best offensive line in college football. Even though he came up huge against USC and Michigan.

    I dont know guys. I think he is definitely someone that Ozzie, Bisciotti, and Harbaugh could really get behind.

    T'eo would have to develop some thick skin though, because you know Suggs is going to go at him a bit.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #1984

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Valid points, but considering the holes this team will potentially have and NOT be able to do much in free agency, they may need all 11 of those draft picks.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    11 picks is alot, it like the draft of the late 70's. NO WAY you can use 11 picks. Ravens arent an expansion team, they are SB winners. Picks will be dealt, I'd bet the ranch on it. Ravens will lose a few guys, but most will remain and they have drafted backups for depth, and can extend deals into a larger 2014 cap.




  5. #1985

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Draft a stud offensive lineman, then focus the rest of the draft on defense.
    And maybe a mid-round WR? Otherwise, I'm with you.




  6. #1986

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    I agree with wicked, this years draft is just too important for the organization. Many have stated that it is the most important draft since the '96 draft and I agree. With te possibility of losing two legends and other quality players you have to have as many picks as possible. Our biggest need is to replenish the defense and we are lucky enough to have one of the deepest defensive drafts in recent memory. Get the top safety, get a solid linebacker and nose tackle. Trading a second and a fourth would essentially mean that you get one potential solid player and the rest of the team will be filled with a 3rd rounder and the rest late supplemental picks. I just do not think that it's the right thing to do for the future of the organization. You have 11 picks and Ozzie is notorious for moving around the board particularly in the later rounds.




  7. #1987

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    And maybe a mid-round WR? Otherwise, I'm with you.
    I'd say TE, but that's splitting hairs.




  8. #1988
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,349
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post

    11 picks is alot, it like the draft of the late 70's. NO WAY you can use 11 picks. Ravens arent an expansion team, they are SB winners. Picks will be dealt, I'd bet the ranch on it. Ravens will lose a few guys, but most will remain and they have drafted backups for depth, and can extend deals into a larger 2014 cap.
    I think they are solid at corner, rb, and obviously qb. I also think dl isnt as bad as it could be. Assuming Ngata comes back healthy, it should be a strong unit.

    Safety (in particular, free safety) has Christian Thompson...shaky, but has potential.
    Pass rusher has a 30 year old Suggs and Upshaw, who is more of a run stopper. Who knows about Hamilton and McAdoo. Again, shaky.
    Inside lb, Jameel McClain and Josh Bynes are the only guys under contract, IIRC. Ellerbe needs to be retained, but he may not be. Major holes here even with Ellerbe because none of them can drop into coverage for shit.

    Ol is good, but OT could quickly become and issue again if they insist on moving Oher back to LT and KO to RT. Not many LT prospects in this draft either. The top three guys coukd easily go in the top 15 selections. I would expect them to, actually.

    Wr/TE solid starters ...contracts could be an issue and make Boldin and Jacoby free agents. Doss has shown flashes. Everyone else is relatively unknown. Pitta and Dickson will be retained, but a blocking TE would be nice. Again, shaky.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  9. #1989
    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Tell that to the Falcons who traded up to get Julio Jones. Tell that to Ozzie who traded up to get Joe Flacco.

    Besides we're not talking about reaching. We're talking about trading up to take a player around where he is expected to go. Big difference.

    It's not the cost that matters its the player. If the player is a good player (especially at LT) he's priceless. If he sucks, then he's a waste whether he was a 1st rounder or 5th rounder.

    So if you see a guy and you like him and he fits a need, by all means trade up, especially when the team has a dearth of picks.

    If Ozzie doesn't think Lane Johnson can be a good LT then obviously he's not going to do it but from everything I've seen he can be the anchor for the next 10 years. What is that worth? An extra 2nd and 4th? Hell yes.
    Julio Jones was a once in every 5-6 year talent.

    And we traded back up for Flacco after trading WAY down.

    Lane Johnson is not that type of talent and frankly will be overdrafted IMHO because of the position and lack of depth in terms of high end guys. I like him, but he is not in the class of Fisher or Joekel...he reminds me of Jeff Backus.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  10. #1990
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,349
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

    Julio Jones was a once in every 5-6 year talent.

    And we traded back up for Flacco after trading WAY down.

    Lane Johnson is not that type of talent and frankly will be overdrafted IMHO because of the position and lack of depth in terms of high end guys. I like him, but he is not in the class of Fisher or Joekel...he reminds me of Jeff Backus.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Good points.

    If Jake Matthews and Taylor Lewan come out, Johnson would be the 5th best tackle prospect and not the 3rd. Those two dont return to school and Johnson probably goes in the 2nd round.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  11. #1991
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    6,421

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Tell that to the Falcons who traded up to get Julio Jones. Tell that to Ozzie who traded up to get Joe Flacco.
    Do you mean the Atlanta Falcons who were 13-3 and finished first the year before they selected Julio Jones, and went 10-6 and 13-3 since they drafted him? He hasn't made much of a difference in the team result so far. Sure he's great, but at what cost?

    And the Ravens didn't really trade up for Flacco. That's a great misnomer. The Ravens had the 8th pick in the draft that year, then maneuvered around by trading back to 26th , then up to 18th to get Flacco. That's really not trading up when you have the 8th pick and end up picking 18th.




  12. #1992

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    I agree with wicked, this years draft is just too important for the organization. Many have stated that it is the most important draft since the '96 draft and I agree. With te possibility of losing two legends and other quality players you have to have as many picks as possible. Our biggest need is to replenish the defense and we are lucky enough to have one of the deepest defensive drafts in recent memory. Get the top safety, get a solid linebacker and nose tackle. Trading a second and a fourth would essentially mean that you get one potential solid player and the rest of the team will be filled with a 3rd rounder and the rest late supplemental picks. I just do not think that it's the right thing to do for the future of the organization. You have 11 picks and Ozzie is notorious for moving around the board particularly in the later rounds.
    I can see your point, but I would rather have quality over quantity. 11 guys is ALOT. Do you know the odds of a 5th rounder staying on your team for 3 years, it's like 33%. Plus, our picks are at the back end of they rounds or comp picks. If you get 3 solid starters out of a draft and 2 backups, thats considered a great draft, not even considering pro bowlers. Plus, you dont want too many young players at once, need a good mix of players of all ages.




Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland