Page 165 of 333 FirstFirst ... 163164165166167 ... LastLast
Results 1,969 to 1,980 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Exactly.

To move from 32 to 18 would cost at least the 1st (32), 2nd (62) & 4th (126) round picks. Sure, there are 11 picks, but 4 of them are not tradable, and could be 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th rounders. So, trading up to get a LT that isn't a sure thing would leave the Ravens picking an LT at 18, then sitting until pick 94 (end of the 3rd round). Then a comp 4th at no better than 127, followed by your next pick somewhere in the 160+ range. You aren't going to fill your roster with many impact players doing that.
    I wouldnt say impossible. by your scenario it costs you the last 2nd round pick and last 4th rounder for an impact player. Trading the firsts are a wash really. I could see them doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    I wouldnt say impossible. by your scenario it costs you the last 2nd round pick and last 4th rounder for an impact player. Trading the firsts are a wash really. I could see them doing this.
    Oh, I didn't say it was impossible. I just said that the tradeoff is not being able to draft other impact players that have been discussed. Taking a guy at 32 (or trading back) and keeping your picks to move around/increase picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds seems a better use of 11 picks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Why not?
    That's just not how Ozzie works. The Ravens have 11 draft picks. In order to move up...even 5 or 6 spots, you're talking about giving up at least 2 picks.

I'm not saying that they won't do it...but I would be very surprised if they did.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Exactly.

To move from 32 to 18 would cost at least the 1st (32), 2nd (62) & 4th (126) round picks. Sure, there are 11 picks, but 4 of them are not tradable, and could be 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th rounders. So, trading up to get a LT that isn't a sure thing would leave the Ravens picking an LT at 18, then sitting until pick 94 (end of the 3rd round). Then a comp 4th at no better than 127, followed by your next pick somewhere in the 160+ range. You aren't going to fill your roster with many impact players doing that.
    :word

And recent history would show that picking a LT after the top 10 severely limits the probability of getting a solid LT candidate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    You don't know who is going to be an impact player in the draft.

Also, trading up means potentially missing out on a Matt Elam, Manti T'eo, or Tyler Eiffert.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You don't know who is going to be an impact player in the draft.

Also, trading up means potentially missing out on a Matt Elam, Manti T'eo, or Tyler Eiffert.
    What's the cost of not getting a good left tackle? We saw the results earlier in the year. What if McKinnie gets hurt again or balloons up to 400 pounds and we have no one else on the roster who can play?

The cost could be missed playoffs or missed opportunities in the playoffs.

Oh, I didn't say it was impossible. I just said that the tradeoff is not being able to draft other impact players that have been discussed. Taking a guy at 32 (or trading back) and keeping your picks to move around/increase picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds seems a better use of 11 picks.
    That's my thing and the reason why I don't think people are thinking logically.

Sure, we need a LT. We also need a starting ILB (we could realistically lose Ray, Ellerbe and even McClain due to McClain having suffered a broken spinal cord...there is a chance he never gets cleared to play again). If ILB is not addressed, we could actually wind up starting Josh Bynes and BA. We realistically can lose Reed...we have no other ballhawking safety on the roster. We need a safety. We need another pass rusher as we don't know now if Suggs will ever be the same player again.

We have a LOT of other needs too.

I'd rather re-sign McKinnie, and draft a developmental guy in the first 3 rounds...like that kid from San Jose State.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That's just not how Ozzie works. The Ravens have 11 draft picks. In order to move up...even 5 or 6 spots, you're talking about giving up at least 2 picks.

I'm not saying that they won't do it...but I would be very surprised if they did.
    Has the Excellector not spoken?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Basic consensus on Te'o? A few mocks have him going to us.

My feeling right now is thanks, but no thanks. The situation with him is just too weird, and after his distracted/ineffective performance in the championship game, I am not convinced his mental makeup is what it needs to be -- contrary to what has otherwise been his entire career of work to date.

Very strange situation, but you have to wonder how all this will affect him... and you really have to wonder WTF happened to cause it all in the first place. Seems like kind of a flake, all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Basic consensus on Te'o? A few mocks have him going to us.

My feeling right now is thanks, but no thanks. The situation with him is just too weird, and after his distracted/ineffective performance in the championship game, I am not convinced his mental makeup is what it needs to be -- contrary to what has otherwise been his entire career of work to date.

Very strange situation, but you have to wonder how all this will affect him... and you really have to wonder WTF happened to cause it all in the first place. Seems like kind of a flake, all of a sudden.
    I'd take him.

It's crazy because I REALLY wanted him during the college season...but I really want some guys with more speed and that are more athletic.

I'd prefer taking a guy like Elam in the first, one of Brown/Hodges/Greene in the second and a developmental guy in the third.

It is crazy though as I think he is getting over analysed since this catfish stuff broke out...its like people are looking for reasons to drop him.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    What's the cost of not getting a good left tackle? We saw the results earlier in the year. What if McKinnie gets hurt again or balloons up to 400 pounds and we have no one else on the roster who can play?

The cost could be missed playoffs or missed opportunities in the playoffs.
    Teams that begin to reach for players are the ones who don't make the playoffs. Get past the top couple of guys at LT and difference between the rest may not be all that great considering what it would probably take to move up that far. There are probably options in rounds 2-4 that wouldn't be much different and the cost would be less.

Teams that begin to reach for players are the ones who don't make the playoffs. Get past the top couple of guys at LT and difference between the rest may not be all that great considering what it would probably take to move up that far. There are probably options in rounds 2-4 that wouldn't be much different and the cost would be less.

Tell that to the Falcons who traded up to get Julio Jones. Tell that to Ozzie who traded up to get Joe Flacco.

Besides we're not talking about reaching. We're talking about trading up to take a player around where he is expected to go. Big difference.

It's not the cost that matters its the player. If the player is a good player (especially at LT) he's priceless. If he sucks, then he's a waste whether he was a 1st rounder or 5th rounder.

So if you see a guy and you like him and he fits a need, by all means trade up, especially when the team has a dearth of picks.

If Ozzie doesn't think Lane Johnson can be a good LT then obviously he's not going to do it but from everything I've seen he can be the anchor for the next 10 years. What is that worth? An extra 2nd and 4th? Hell yes.