Page 155 of 333 FirstFirst ... 153154155156157 ... LastLast
Results 1,849 to 1,860 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Suggs and Pollard don't fit that bill?

Listen man, this is Joe's team now. Ray Lewis even said as much right before the Denver game. This is his team now.

Joe, Ray, Pollard, Torrey...those are the leaders of the future with the Ravens.

Oh, yea, and Fletcher is still under contract with the Redskins until 2014...so he isn't available anyway unless the Skins cut him.
    According the Skins site, he is a FA. Pollard and Suggs are good leaders, but Suggs is not a rah, rah guy. I'm just speaking on the defensive side of the ball. You could get Fletcher for slightly over the minimum. Plus, Ellerbe and McClain have been injury prone, like some experience back thier, instead of Bynes/McCllenan we saw what happened when they played.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    According the Skins site, he is a FA. Pollard and Suggs are good leaders, but Suggs is not a rah, rah guy. I'm just speaking on the defensive side of the ball. You could get Fletcher for slightly over the minimum. Plus, Ellerbe and McClain have been injury prone, like some experience back thier, instead of Bynes/McCllenan we saw what happened when they played.
    McClellan and Bynes played well, especially in the Giants game. With that said, I think we'll be looking at the draft not FA to acquire another ILB.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Wicked, if we move to a 4-3, I would rather get a quick twitch type DT to pair up with Ngata than double up on a LB. I would love to aquire a Geno Atkins type in the front 4, then you have the perfect combination of speed and brute strength in Ngata, Suggs, Upshaw, and a Sharriff Floyd. I wouldn't mind Hankins either, but would rather take a Kawann Short, Sheldon Richardson, or a Bennie Logan over Hankins if we're moving to a 4-3.

In saying that, you still probably double dip at LB, you take a DT in the first round, LB in the second, make some moves to get a safety, and take another LB in the fourth. There are a lot of mid round/late round prospects at LB this year, if you want pure SPEED, take a look at Kiko Alonso out of Oregon.
    We definitely can use some interior pass rush.

We need speed at LB and DL IMHO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Because of the cap situation in the event that Flacco gets tagged, the very use of the tender for Dickson could stop us from retaining Ellerbe or McKinnie for another year. I would much rather keep an emerging young talented LB on our squad, or keep McKinnie for another year than use that money on retaining a declining Ed Dickson. I would take a rookie and a vet minimum guy as the two back up TE's while keeping a decent LT for another year and a good LB any day over Dickson.
    BINGO.

I also don't think Dickson is better then Jack Squat as a backup, to answer a different post.

And to answer a third different post, I sure would like trading Dickson to Philly and then moving up for a REAL all around TE.

The bottom line, is that I don't think Dickson is ANY BETTER AT ALL then (insert average mid round TE), but costs TRIPLE.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    BINGO.

I also don't think Dickson is better then Jack Squat as a backup, to answer a different post.

And to answer a third different post, I sure would like trading Dickson to Philly and then moving up for a REAL all around TE.

The bottom line, is that I don't think Dickson is ANY BETTER AT ALL then (insert average mid round TE), but costs TRIPLE.
    Probably the absolute best option

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    . If the Pat's don't retain Micahel Hoomanawanui, I'd MUCH rather have him for $600k or so

No veteran free agent costs $600k. That's what I keep saying here.

Hoomanawanui was drafted in the same class as Dickson, so he isn't even a free agent. What's his value anyways? He offers nothing as a receiver. He's mainly just an extra OT who might catch 5-8 balls per year for you. We can draft a guy who does that. Williams from Alabama is a great example. We can bring in a unwanted veteran-minimum type player like Bajema for around $900k instead of paying Dickson $1.2-$1.3. Why would we do that though? $400k isn't going to make or break our cap. Yet, having no reliable pass-catching option behind Dickson could be highly problematic, particularly if we go with a rookie WR or Doss as our #3wide receiver. Dickson may not have a high value, but at $1.2 million in cap allocation for next year, it's still a moderate steal.

Even if we brought in two rookies to replace Bajema and Dickson, it would have minimal impact on our salary cap. Replacing Dickson on the rule of 51 roster only saves $750-800k.

I'm with jonboy on this one, saving 1.3 (the price to franchise tag someone as a ROFR) to use a rookie with promise, who can actually block would put us in better position, but that's just my opinion anyway. Dickson cannot catch shit either, he's ACTUALLY regressed from his rookie/sophomore years. Remember he started out his sophomore year with a bang? He looked like a pro bowl TE for christ sakes, I think somethings happened to that kid.
    This makes no sense.

First off, you are forgetting that, if we don't have Dickson on the roster, we still have to replace him with a player who is going to making roughly $500k, so the savings is only really $800k.

Secondly, you admitted that Dickson looked like a Pro Bowler as early as last season. Now you want to trade him or cut him? I'm not sure I get that. Using that logic, we should have cut/traded Ellerbe as well, which wouldn't have worked out so well for us. This guy caught 50 balls last year. He'll be 26 next season. It would be a kneejerk reaction by the Ravens to entertain getting rid of him before his rookie contract is up. History has shown time and again that the Ravens don't make kneejerk reactions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    This makes no sense.

First off, you are forgetting that, if we don't have Dickson on the roster, we still have to replace him with a player who is going to making roughly $500k, so the savings is only really $800k.

Secondly, you admitted that Dickson looked like a Pro Bowler as early as last season. Now you want to trade him or cut him? I'm not sure I get that. Using that logic, we should have cut/traded Ellerbe as well, which wouldn't have worked out so well for us. This guy caught 50 balls last year. He'll be 26 next season. It would be a kneejerk reaction by the Ravens to entertain getting rid of him before his rookie contract is up. History has shown time and again that the Ravens don't make kneejerk reactions.
    I agree. I think it's a bit of a knee jerk reaction to want to dump Dickson at this point.

Because of the cap situation in the event that Flacco gets tagged, the very use of the tender for Dickson could stop us from retaining Ellerbe or McKinnie for another year. I would much rather keep an emerging young talented LB on our squad, or keep McKinnie for another year than use that money on retaining a declining Ed Dickson. I would take a rookie and a vet minimum guy as the two back up TE's while keeping a decent LT for another year and a good LB any day over Dickson.
    Again, a rookie and a vet minimum saves us $400k. Would you rather have Dickson/rookie with $400k more on our cap or Bajema/rookie and save $400k. Veteran minimum TEs are guys like Bajema or Tony Stewart....guys that are on their last legs in the NFL usually.

Also, your "young emerging LB" (born 1985) is actually older than your "declining TE" (born 1987). The way you worded it, you would think Ellerbe was 24, 25 and Dickson was 30. Also, as I referenced in my last post, I think it's a bit curious that you are so down on Dickson for underperforming for a year and a half while forgetting about the two seasons where Ellerbe disappointed to the point he rarely saw the field.

Maybe it was Tony Curtis....the guy that was around for a few weeks back in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    No veteran free agent costs $600k. That's what I keep saying here.

Hoomanawanui was drafted in the same class as Dickson, so he isn't even a free agent. What's his value anyways? He offers nothing as a receiver. He's mainly just an extra OT who might catch 5-8 balls per year for you. We can draft a guy who does that. Williams from Alabama is a great example. We can bring in a unwanted veteran-minimum type player like Bajema for around $900k instead of paying Dickson $1.2-$1.3. Why would we do that though? $400k isn't going to make or break our cap. Yet, having no reliable pass-catching option behind Dickson could be highly problematic, particularly if we go with a rookie WR or Doss as our #3wide receiver. Dickson may not have a high value, but at $1.2 million in cap allocation for next year, it's still a moderate steal.

Even if we brought in two rookies to replace Bajema and Dickson, it would have minimal impact on our salary cap. Replacing Dickson on the rule of 51 roster only saves $750-800k.

If New England were to cut him, his minimum base salary next year would be $745k. This year, after having been cut by St Louis, NE could have paid him as little as $630k.

Hoomanawanui offers far more as a receiver then Dickson does as a blocker. Which is, nto much at all. But, Pitta is a receiving only TE, so what we NEED is an inline blocking TE that isn't a complete liability as a pass catcher, which is precisely what Hoomanawanui is. Is he going to outrun anyone? NO, is he going to make spectacular catches? NO, is he going to drop easily catchable balls, NO.

I'd rather have Williams as well, a bit more of a target,and probably a similar blocker once he has settled in.

$750-800k could easily be the difference between retaining Ellerbe or losing him to the highest bidder. I'd call THAT significant.

Hoomanawanui was basically brought up as a cheap, last minute patch that is "possible". I can easily see him not making the final cut of the Pats roster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Ertz I think is better actually but splitting hairs, one of them MIGHT be available, but teams slotted in spaces from 24-32 dont need TE's except for Atlanta. Neither player will be top 20, but somewhere between 21-35. Ravens have extra picks to move up a few spaces, if they see the opportunity.
    I disagree.

Green Bay, Denver, Seattle, and Atlanta are all picking right around there and all four of them could make a play for Eiffert and/or Ertz.

Secondly, that's not even factoring in teams like Chicago, Arizona, or San Diego who could try and trade back up in front of the Ravens/Niners to target one of those TE's.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.