Page 154 of 333 FirstFirst ... 152153154155156 ... LastLast
Results 1,837 to 1,848 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Ozzie knows TE's, since he has been here, we have had Sharpe, Heap and Pitta. I trust Ozzie in evaluating TE's, being one. We need a "true" TE running/blocking/receiving. Taking Ertz or Effiert would be a coup, I would trade up to get them if necessary. The teams ahead of us in the drafting order who made the playoffs already have a TE, except for Atlanta who will likely pick one of TG doesnt retire. The New NFL is TE freindly with rule changes.
    Jordan Reed out of Florida may be an interesting option later in the draft. He's not a great blocker, but he's decent. He is a lot like Aaron Hernandez.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think the positives of going to a 4-3 for us also negate our need for a NT, because Ngata would move into a 4-3 NT, while either McPhee or Art Jones/draft pick would slot in next to him on that 4 man front, then you could put Upshaw in as a LDE, and Suggs would assume the LDE role which is both their natural fits IMO anyway.
    :word

When Ray retires dont be surprised to see the Ravens pursue London Fletcher for a year, he is FA, cheap, good leader and can be of good use for depth and experience and very inexpensive. Leadership can never been underestimated and could be a good transitional, part time signing. Plus, he will want a ring and the Ravens can be a good fit. Ozzie type move. Losing Ed and Ray, you need a strong leader with experience.

Blog Entries

Because of the cap situation in the event that Flacco gets tagged, the very use of the tender for Dickson could stop us from retaining Ellerbe or McKinnie for another year. I would much rather keep an emerging young talented LB on our squad, or keep McKinnie for another year than use that money on retaining a declining Ed Dickson. I would take a rookie and a vet minimum guy as the two back up TE's while keeping a decent LT for another year and a good LB any day over Dickson.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I've been beating this drum all year. We actually already have so much of the personnel to make it happen. Haloti Ngata would be perfect as a 4-3 nose tackle, we already know Suggs can play right DE very well, and Upshaw has actually played more with his hand in the dirt than at LB this year.

As bad as our DL has been at times this year, with everybody healthy we have way more talent on the line than at 'backer. Ngata, Art Jones, McPhee, Suggs, Upshaw, DeAngelo Tyson... McAdoo and Hamilton were both DEs in college... that's the makings of a potentially really solid rotation on the DL in the 4-3.

Another guy who fits really well is McClellan at 4-3 SAM. Somebody earlier said that McClellan hasn't been used enough this year and I agree. He was VERY good setting the edge and defending the short curl/flat zone earlier in the year. Ellerbe could be a great 4-3 MIKE if he's retained, and if he's not McClain and Bynes would battle it out for the spot. The big hole is 4-3 WILL... but there are so many guys in this draft who could step in on day 1 and have a Lavonte David type impact the WILL position.

Khaseem Greene, Arthur Brown, Gerald Hodges, Sean Porter, Jelani Jenkins... all of them have a lot of upside at 4-3 WILL and would add a TON of speed to our defense.

And this is something that cannot be understated.

Ray is great, but fast he ain't (anymore). See me rhymin' ? I know...I'm hood.

Anyway...

Jameel is a 2-down backer. Ellerbe has the speed to be a 3-down backer, but he's not very good in coverage and is much better as a blitzing ILB.

McClellan is a solid player, but he's more of a pass rusher/run stopper. He's never done much to impress me in space. I'd put Kruger in this boat as well, although if we keep Kruger and moved to a 4-3, I would play him EXCLUSIVELY at LE opposite of Suggs.

We could double dip at LB in this draft and really build out the depth and speed of our LB unit.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Jordan Reed out of Florida may be an interesting option later in the draft. He's not a great blocker, but he's decent. He is a lot like Aaron Hernandez.
    I like Reed a lot.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I agree, but I think they need an ALL AROUND TE, not half player. Ertz and Efiert are All-Pro types. They day he is drafted they will be the best TE on the team including Pitta. It will make Pitta better in the pass game. Great redzone targets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I get the point here, but it's going to be a decision of marginal value. We all seem to agree that the Ravens will very likely draft a TE this year due to the uncertainty of having no TEs on the roster under contract next year, although 2 are RFAs. So I would argue that Dickson's marginal cost shouldn't be compared to the veteran minimum but rather a mid-round pick--which is likely to be closer to 500k than 900k. Dickson's original-round tender will be 1.323m, by the way. So you're realistically talking about a 700-800k cap savings by replacing Dickson with a 3rd-5th round rookie.

That sounds like an insignificant difference but every little bit counts. Moreover, Dickson has trade value--as you say, he does have upside and is young. The problem is the scheme fit for the Ravens as opposed to other teams. His role within our system is exactly the same as Pitta's: basically a slot wide receiver who is much less comfortable playing in-line and has marginal to no blocking ability. There is NO reason to put Dickson on the field right now other than to show the defense an unconventional look--this is the reason why Dickson has played so few snaps this season, combined with his injury. The Ravens have been MUCH more a 3-wide team in passing downs than a 2TE team this year.

Obviously that was different last year when Dickson put up what on first glance appeared to be a very good year: 54 catches for 528 yards and 5 TDs. That sounds great, but place that within the context of what we had on offense last year... essentially no 3rd WR whatsoever and a receiving corps that struggled terribly to separate for various reasons. This year with a viable 3rd WR and a more imaginative and explosive passing game Dickson has been relegated to where he belongs at this point: the bench.

The bottom line is that Dickson's value is significantly lower for the Ravens than it may be for other teams. Teams that want a WR-in-TE-body type of player would do well to get Dickson, and he could certainly start for some teams that use their TE like that on an every-down basis (Chip Kelly's Eagles, perhaps.) I just don't think he's anything more than an injury fill-in here for the Ravens and they'd do well to unload him in a trade.

I will readily admit though that you can't dismiss what Dickson offers as an injury back-up. If the team feels having insurance for a Pitta injury is worth that much I wouldn't disagree with it, although I think the marginal value of potentially moving him for a draft pick and saving some money is higher.
    You make a good point...I agreed that just not tendering him and signing a vet probably wasnt a good scenario but if your talking tendering him then possibly dealing him to say Philly for a later round pick depending on who's there and who we acquire at TE then that's intriguing. I am disappointed with Dickson's play but i do acknowledge how much is opportunities have dwindled as well as the upside that remains there. Also we dont know the evolution of what the offense will be wants Caldwell put's in everything he likes but if we are going off his Indy history we know Indy used a bunch of 2 TE sets and majority of those guys werent world beaters as blockers. In the end i just think the upside is there at the rate he'll make that it may be more worth keeping him around then to not do so. That obviously all depends on what we do in the draft but ideally i think there are alot more positions that need to be addressed earlier then if an injury to Pitta occurs you have to start a rookie.

Blog Entries

When Ray retires dont be surprised to see the Ravens pursue London Fletcher for a year, he is FA, cheap, good leader and can be of good use for depth and experience and very inexpensive. Leadership can never been underestimated and could be a good transitional, part time signing. Plus, he will want a ring and the Ravens can be a good fit. Ozzie type move. Losing Ed and Ray, you need a strong leader with experience.
    Suggs and Pollard don't fit that bill?

Listen man, this is Joe's team now. Ray Lewis even said as much right before the Denver game. This is his team now.

Joe, Ray, Pollard, Torrey...those are the leaders of the future with the Ravens.

Oh, yea, and Fletcher is still under contract with the Redskins until 2014...so he isn't available anyway unless the Skins cut him.

Blog Entries

I agree, but I think they need an ALL AROUND TE, not half player. Ertz and Efiert are All-Pro types. They day he is drafted they will be the best TE on the team including Pitta. It will make Pitta better in the pass game. Great redzone targets as well.
    They're both really outstanding TE prospects.

I don't think the Ravens will have a shot at Eiffert. I think he'll be gone before the end of round 1. This is a copy cat league and there are a couple of teams picking before the Ravens who really need a TE.

Blog Entries

Wicked, if we move to a 4-3, I would rather get a quick twitch type DT to pair up with Ngata than double up on a LB. I would love to aquire a Geno Atkins type in the front 4, then you have the perfect combination of speed and brute strength in Ngata, Suggs, Upshaw, and a Sharriff Floyd. I wouldn't mind Hankins either, but would rather take a Kawann Short, Sheldon Richardson, or a Bennie Logan over Hankins if we're moving to a 4-3.

In saying that, you still probably double dip at LB, you take a DT in the first round, LB in the second, make some moves to get a safety, and take another LB in the fourth. There are a lot of mid round/late round prospects at LB this year, if you want pure SPEED, take a look at Kiko Alonso out of Oregon.

They're both really outstanding TE prospects.

I don't think the Ravens will have a shot at Eiffert. I think he'll be gone before the end of round 1. This is a copy cat league and there are a couple of teams picking before the Ravens who really need a TE.
    Ertz I think is better actually but splitting hairs, one of them MIGHT be available, but teams slotted in spaces from 24-32 dont need TE's except for Atlanta. Neither player will be top 20, but somewhere between 21-35. Ravens have extra picks to move up a few spaces, if they see the opportunity.