Page 150 of 333 FirstFirst ... 148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 1,789 to 1,800 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

The top level talent may not be as good but there's an abundance of very good talent late first 2nd and third. It's deep with good talent but no clear cut elite talent minus maybe five guys. That later doesn't concern us because we don't pick early. I'd rather have a deep draft because that suits us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    The top level talent may not be as good but there's an abundance of very good talent late first 2nd and third. It's deep with good talent but no clear cut elite talent minus maybe five guys. That later doesn't concern us because we don't pick early. I'd rather have a deep draft because that suits us.
    :word

I also should clarify my statement as well lol, i meant weak draft as far star power or in certain spots. I do however think there are alot of good football players in this draft, especially defensively rounds 2 thru 4. A really good draft for what the Ravens need.

Maybe we should trade Dickson and Dixon to Philly (Kelley like most coaches like players they are familiar with and can convert into a system they ran in the past) Win-win situation. Wont get much in return, but better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Maybe we should trade Dickson and Dixon to Philly (Kelley like most coaches like players they are familiar with and can convert into a system they ran in the past) Win-win situation. Wont get much in return, but better than nothing.
    As far as I know Dixon is a free agent next year, so we won't have the ability to trade him.

Dickson to Philly on the other hand is an interesting possibility... they have Brent Celek under contract for 4 more years, but all but 1.2m of his bonus money has already been paid out. They'd free up 2m in 2013 and quite a bit for the future by releasing him, and he doesn't really play as well as his stats would have you think, nor is he a good fit for Chip Kelly's offense. Dickson OTOH is obviously tailor made for it, he plays best when split out wide and in the slot.

Even if Dickson to Philly doesn't work out, I see no reason at all for the Ravens to hang onto him for next year. They should trade him now and get some value, any value, if possible. He's not going to be re-signed after next year and the team is going to need to upgrade at #2 TE in the draft anyway with a better blocker.

If I were the Ravens I'd put poor Ed on the block right away. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they get a taker or two, as well. He has value, it's just his value is lower to the Ravens because everything he can do well, Pitta does better. But for a team looking for a complementary TE who plays best when in the slot or split out wide, he has definite upside.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    As far as I know Dixon is a free agent next year, so we won't have the ability to trade him.

Dickson to Philly on the other hand is an interesting possibility... they have Brent Celek under contract for 4 more years, but all but 1.2m of his bonus money has already been paid out. They'd free up 2m in 2013 and quite a bit for the future by releasing him, and he doesn't really play as well as his stats would have you think, nor is he a good fit for Chip Kelly's offense. Dickson OTOH is obviously tailor made for it, he plays best when split out wide and in the slot.

Even if Dickson to Philly doesn't work out, I see no reason at all for the Ravens to hang onto him for next year. They should trade him now and get some value, any value, if possible. He's not going to be re-signed after next year and the team is going to need to upgrade at #2 TE in the draft anyway with a better blocker.

If I were the Ravens I'd put poor Ed on the block right away. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they get a taker or two, as well. He has value, it's just his value is lower to the Ravens because everything he can do well, Pitta does better. But for a team looking for a complementary TE who plays best when in the slot or split out wide, he has definite upside.
    Considering he decided to run his mouth when he's not even playing much Sunday, I agree.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Considering he decided to run his mouth when he's not even playing much Sunday, I agree.
    Few questions:

1. By "running his mouth," I take you mean this? And you have a problem with that why? Everyone shows up for Media Day & everyone gets asked questions. Dickson's comments seem pretty boilerplate understatement to me. Can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with them...unless they're holding a grudge because he hasn't turned out (yet) to be a consensus-HOFer.

2. "Not playing much Sunday"--& you know this how? You don't think they could possibly have a game plan with a lot of 2 TE sets? You going to come back here & admit you were mistaken in that case?

Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Few questions:

1. By "running his mouth," I take you mean this? And you have a problem with that why? Everyone shows up for Media Day & everyone gets asked questions. Dickson's comments seem pretty boilerplate understatement to me. Can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with them...unless they're holding a grudge because he hasn't turned out (yet) to be a consensus-HOFer.

2. "Not playing much Sunday"--& you know this how? You don't think they could possibly have a game plan with a lot of 2 TE sets? You going to come back here & admit you were mistaken in that case?

Sheesh.
    Yes I have a problem with it...expecially when it's from a guy who will barely play.

It would be one thing if Ray Rice or Flacco said it...it's another thing when a guy who barely plays because he can't catch does it.

And just because you are asked a question doesn't mean you have answer it at all or even in that way. You can show confidence without saying something that could rile up an opponent.

And I'm saying he isn't playing much because he hasn't been playing much all season. He no longer starts, and the team doesn't go to 2 TE sets nearly as much as some think...we have done a lot more 3 wide sets with Jacoby in there.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

What Dickson said was fairly benign but he made way it too easy for PFT to frame his comments as trash talk and get the clicks they want

We’re not going to be naïve. I’m sure they’ve made corrections. In the end, it’s all about us and the things that we do well with running the football and passing the ball, just being a balanced offense.
    But of course the headline, the attention grabber, "49ers’ defense has a lot of holes we can exploit" makes it sound much worse.

Anyone think we take a flier on ray ray Armstrong in the fifth or sixth. Similar situation to Mathieu, talent is there, has personal issues causing him to fall.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Anyone think we take a flier on ray ray Armstrong in the fifth or sixth. Similar situation to Mathieu, talent is there, has personal issues causing him to fall.
    I think he's actually a very interesting question mark. As far as I'm concerned, his personal issues are not at all comparable to Mathieu, or at least not as egregious as Mathieu. He simply got busted for what dozens of college players do without getting caught: interacting with boosters. I'm not condoning it, but it won't mean anything once he gets to the NFL.

Mathieu on the other hand is a possible drug addict. THAT matters in the NFL, because guys with drug problems need to decide what they love more: dope or football. Plenty of guys over the years have underperformed or outright busted because they chose dope over football. That is a much more concerning issue than having inappropriate contact with boosters that was caught. Ray Ray might be dumb but he's not a degenerate.

Having said that... I really don't know what will happen with Ray Ray. He has so much potential but he never really lived up to it, and he was still very raw in 2011. At this point he'll have missed nearly 2 years of football by training camp 2013. Does he even get drafted? I don't think so. But I would have no problem with the Ravens prioritizing him as an UDFA or spending a 7th or so on him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

I think he's actually a very interesting question mark. As far as I'm concerned, his personal issues are not at all comparable to Mathieu, or at least not as egregious as Mathieu. He simply got busted for what dozens of college players do without getting caught: interacting with boosters. I'm not condoning it, but it won't mean anything once he gets to the NFL.

Mathieu on the other hand is a possible drug addict. THAT matters in the NFL, because guys with drug problems need to decide what they love more: dope or football. Plenty of guys over the years have underperformed or outright busted because they chose dope over football. That is a much more concerning issue than having inappropriate contact with boosters that was caught. Ray Ray might be dumb but he's not a degenerate.

Having said that... I really don't know what will happen with Ray Ray. He has so much potential but he never really lived up to it, and he was still very raw in 2011. At this point he'll have missed nearly 2 years of football by training camp 2013. Does he even get drafted? I don't think so. But I would have no problem with the Ravens prioritizing him as an UDFA or spending a 7th or so on him.
    Didnt he transfer to a D2 school?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.