Page 148 of 333 FirstFirst ... 146147148149150 ... LastLast
Results 1,765 to 1,776 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    The more i see and here about Wheaton the more i like, i think he could be a bonafide #2 nex to Torrey once Boldin calls it quits. What round do you guys think he goes in?
    Great value with Wheaton in the bottom half of the 3rd. Based on my limited feel of the other 31 teams, he's my 12th WR.
    Based upon the kind of WR that I think we could use, Wheaton is my 4th WR behind Patton, Bailey and Austin. He's ahead of Bumphis.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I have been high on Wheaton pretty much all season. Really nice precise route runner, solid hands, deceptively quick, nice moves in space.

He needs to put on some weight...he's about 6' to 6'1" and about 185lbs, so I'd like to see him bump up into the 190's. I think that would help him beat press coverage a bit better. Still though, the upside is there.

I'd rather have Patton, but Wheaton would be pretty sweet too.
    Senior Bowl weigh-in:

Markus Wheaton 5' 11", 183 lbs.
    Quinton Patton 6' 0", 202 lbs.

I think both go in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Senior Bowl weigh-in:

Markus Wheaton 5' 11", 183 lbs.
    Quinton Patton 6' 0", 202 lbs.

thats about right. I still think Ertz and Eifert makes the most sense in the first round.

Blog Entries

Anyone thought of the possibility of signing Rolando McClain? He is likely to be cut before FA, and Ozzie may take a look see because of the Bama connection. He hasn't really lived up to his pre draft hype, but he's still a solid player, especially in run defense. He make up for a decent tandem next to Ellerbe (assuming Ellerbe is re-signed), or if we move to a 4-3, he can play MLB there too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Anyone thought of the possibility of signing Rolando McClain? He is likely to be cut before FA, and Ozzie may take a look see because of the Bama connection. He hasn't really lived up to his pre draft hype, but he's still a solid player, especially in run defense. He make up for a decent tandem next to Ellerbe (assuming Ellerbe is re-signed), or if we move to a 4-3, he can play MLB there too.
    If he is interested in playing football and knocking the shenanigans off, then absolutely.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Lots of due diligence would be involved, but certainly he's got to be on the radar. Curious whether he goes though. During the season there was some kind of flare up with him and there was lots of conjecture he would be cut right then and there. Never happened.

If he gets cut, great, but I think they'll bend over backwards not to let that pick go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    I'd say Hopkins is a pretty complete WR, with some speed, elusiveness and athleticism to go with it. I don't know what he'll time in the 40, but if he times slow, I can say for sure that he plays fast. On TV he looks like a legit 4.4 guy even if that's not his actual 40. Definitely IMO a guy who can contribute from the get-go. With some upside.

Reggie Wayne is a good comparison. Hard for folks to remember now, but he was very similar to Hopkins back when he was in college at Miami -- a very dynamic, game breaking type WR. He really got shunted into a "solid #2 receiver" role opposite Harrison in Indy once he got to the pros. Basically used the threat of his athletic ability to get open underneath and move the chains reliably, when in fact, in a different sysem he could have been a #1 with a 17+ ypc and regular double digit TDs. He was the John Taylor to Harrison's Rice, if you will.

Like Hopkins, Wayne was extremely dangerous in college (I thought he was more a threat than the much more touted, at the time, Santana Moss).

Wayne's career path is a very good comparison for Hopkins, I would say. Frankly there are teams who will take worse players in the first than him. That said, does he make sense for the Ravens there? Not likely, based on other positional needs and priorities (as I currently expect them to shake out). He is a safe pick though. He will have a good career. If the Ravens do, or have to, go WR early, he would be a fine pick.
    Good post. I agree with everything you said, including the Reggie Wayne comparison. The thing that's most impressive to me about Hopkins is his route running. At this point he is perhaps the best pure route runner in the class. Quinton Patton is a smoother athlete, Stedman Bailey is more physical, Tavon Austin is quicker, etc. etc... but NOBODY sells a route quite like Hopkins.

He destroyed Xavier Rhodes (a potential 1st round CB) on a double move in one of the videos I linked above. 2 deep, man under, I believe it was an "out and up," and Hopkins beat the double coverage to make a beautiful over the shoulder grab. You RARELY see spread offenses run the kind of complex routes like Hopkins ran in Clemson's system. I also think his body control and hands are among the top in the class.

I really don't think he'll test all that well in the Combine. The playing speed is definitely in the 4.4 range and his quickness is phenomenal, but he just doesn't seem like a workout warrior kind of guy. In terms of a recent prospect I'd compare him to Kendall Wright in that respect, although Wright still went 22nd overall despite a bad Combine. I don't see Hopkins going that high.

Hopkins and Torrey out wide with Boldin (and/or Doss) in the slot is a phenomenal 3 wide package. Hopkins also has some experience as a returner IIRC to be a good long-term replacement and upgrade over Jacoby for a lot cheaper.

I think Rolando McClain would look a lot better in a 3-4, I don't think he was comfortable covering that much ground as a 4-3 MIKE, so he's a scheme fit. But the kid is just a total malcontent and a very bad person. Not sure if I want a scumbag like that on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post

I think the bigger bodied WRs will all stack up ahead of Wheaton. Also, a team signing Wallace, Bowe and maybe even Welker and Jennings probably won't take a WR in the 1st or 2nd. NE will be an exception even if they actually resign Welker...they could use some youth at WR.

Wheaton will rise a bit if he goes sub 4.4 (very possible) next month but I still see him in the 3rd.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

I wouldnt mind McClain or Aaron Curry getting a shot here. Two former players that just havent seemed to live up to their hype but very well could be put in positions to see that again. Probably sooner see Curry even though hes not proven as much simply because of McClains character issues. When losing a big vocal leader such as Ray im not sure adding players like that will be a good thing to fill that void with right away.
    -JAB

I'm a lot less enthusiastic about signing potential headcases if both Ed and Ray aren't here next year. I trust Suggs and Ngata to be good leaders on defense, but I don't know if they'll have the raw force and influence to get a guy like Rolando McClain in line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I wouldnt mind McClain or Aaron Curry getting a shot here. Two former players that just havent seemed to live up to their hype but very well could be put in positions to see that again. Probably sooner see Curry even though hes not proven as much simply because of McClains character issues. When losing a big vocal leader such as Ray im not sure adding players like that will be a good thing to fill that void with right away.
    Well, the fact that Curry hasn't been signed yet is pretty telling IMO. It's not like there aren't teams out there who don't need linebackers.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, the fact that Curry hasn't been signed yet is pretty telling IMO. It's not like there aren't teams out there who don't need linebackers.
    some truth in that, but i dont think his career is over by any stretch. At this point last year people were saying Randy Moss was done and wouldnt garner any interest, some teams just dont address things this early in the process.
    -JAB