Page 141 of 333 FirstFirst ... 139140141142143 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,692 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    My latest Ravens mock draft: (I am assuming that a safety and a nose tackle is signed in FA)

First round pick (32): Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU
    Kevin Minter is probably the best bet here. There really isn't any great options at this point, and we have a big need at ILB, plus Minter is a great prospect IMO. He isn't Ray Lewis, and isn't a vocal leader like him, but he was the leader of an elite college defense at LSU, and was more of a quiet leader. He is really solid in run defense, he covers a lot of ground, and is adequate to solid dropping back into coverage. Hip movement may be an issue. At 6'1 and 240 lbs, he has ideal size to play in a 3-4 scheme, and would be great playing next to Ellerbe. Minter would instantly become the fastest guy in our front 7.
    Pro comparison: Daryl Smith

Second round pick (62): Datone Jones, DE, UCLA.
    The Senior bowl headlines will tell you that it was all Ziggy Ansah dominating, but lost in all that is that Datone Jones was just as good. Datone Jones is raising his stock, so he may even be a first round pick, but for now I will give him a second round projection, simply because nobody really knows who he is right now. He compares favourbly with Darnell Docket IMO, he is really stout as a run defender, but can bullrush effectively and would instantly upgrade our pass rush. He is versatile and can play 5 technique, a hands in dirt DE in a 4-3, a DT in nickel packages, and at a push, maybe even SAM in a 3-4. He had perfect measurable s at the senior bowl, at 6'4, 280 lbs.
    Pro comparison: Darnell Docket

Third round pick (78), (traded up for fourth, fifth, and sixth round picks with St Louis): Chris Faulk, OT, LSU
    Chris Faulk could have been one of the top LT's in the draft this year had he not spent the year out with a serious knee injury. He could be a great value pick here as a developmental LT prospect, and long term, we still don't have a real natural LT on the roster. He was a nasty run blocker at LSU and was decent in pass coverage, he also has great size at 6'6, 325 lbs. Because of the injury, he has a 3rd round projection right now. Could start from day 1 at RT or guard at a push.
    Pro comparison: Duane Brown

Third round pick (93), Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon state.
    Wheaton had a really solid senior bowl week, and by all accounts the Ravens were interested in him. He would fit Caldwell's system perfectly, as he can get deep separation, being a burner, but can also take short passes and take them for big gains. I'm not really sure what round he'll go in right now, but the general conseues says that he's a 3rd round projection because of his lack of size.
    Pro comparison: Greg Jennings

Fourth round pick (compensatory pick, for Ben Grubbs): Ryan Otten, TE, San Jose
    Who knows how the Ravens view Ed Dickson right now, but I expect them to bring in some competition for him to earn the 2nd TE position in the two TE set system that the Ravens are expected to run quite a lot next season, this is assuming they tender Dickson, which isn't a given, Dickson has really under whelmed after a promising start to his sophomore season in 2011. Otten was a player that the Ravens were reportedly interested in at the senior bowl, and would be a solid pick in the fourth round. He is big, and can be a miss match over the middle, but isn't overall fast or athletic. He is an adequate to solid blocker, and very good at catching the ball from what I've seen of him. He uses his big body to catch balls over the middle out leaping smaller DB's and LB's. He was impressive at the senior bowl, and played through an illness all week. Seems like a typical Raven pick on a tough kid waiting to happen.
    Pro Comparison: Zach Miller

Fifth round pick (compensatory pick for Cory Redding): Brian Schwenke, OC/OG, California
    This would be a nice depth pick, and would bring some legit competition for Gino in camp. Schwenke looks like a nice prospect that can get to the second level and seal off some nice blocks in the run game, he has decent size for a center at 6'4 and 307 lbs, and would be a nice fit for a ZBS. He also offers some decent versatility as he can play both guard and center.
    Pro comparison: Maukrice Pouncey

Fifth round pick (compensatory pick, for Jarrett Johnson): Tyrann Mathieu, S/CB, LSU
    This is totally a wild throw it out there type pick on a very talented player with extremely flawed character concerns. IF the Ravens view him as someone who can change his life in the NFL, they will take a chance on him given his ability. He is actually similar to our very own Webb as a player, and would give us some much needed depth at both safety and corner.
    Pro Comparison: Lardarius Webb

Seventh round pick (217): Kyle Justzczyk, FB, Harvard.
    Essentially the Vonta Leach replacement (I have Leach being cut in my mock offseason document sadly). He wont be anywhere near as good as a lead blocker in this offense, but somehow, I think Caldwell's system doesn't really require a great lead blocker, but maybe more of a hybrid player who can be a weapon in the passing game, as well as a protector in both the passing and running game. Justzczyk can do just that, he lined up in the slot as a receiver at Harvard a lot of the time, and could be an interesting prospect to look at, another option for Flacco on 3rd downs.
    Pro comparison: Henri Hynoski

Seventh round pick (compensatory pick for Tom Zibikowski): Curtis McNeal, RB, USC
    As we all know, another big positive about Caldwell's offense, is that its upgraded the ground game, and its something that needed to happen in this play off run, as it was woeful at times under Cameron, or non existent, or extremely under used with the talented backs we have on the roster. We do however need an upgrade at the 3rd RB spot currently occupied by Anthony Allen. Allen is a decent ST player, but just isn't cutting it as an NFL back. This offense could do with a scat back to compliment Rice, and Curtis McNeal is a small speedy back that can contribute in the passing game too. There is nothing wrong with adding a Danny Woodhead type player in the 7th round.
    Pro comparison: Danny Woodhead.
    Minter isn't worth that pick. He's not as good a prospect as Kendricks and Wagner the inside linebackers who both went in the 2nd round last year. I see his name in the 1st round in a lot of mock drafts but I really don't get it.

I do like the Harvard FB in round 7

Someone will draft Mathieu in the 4th or 5th round but it won't be Ozzie. The Cardinals would be the best place since he could play with his mentor Patrick Peterson.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The Top 10 Underclassment (According to ex-GM Scott Pioli):
    1. Luke Joeckel
    2. Dee Milliner
    3. Shariff Floyd
    4. Bjoern Werner
    5. Jonathan Hankins
    6. Eddie Lacy
    7. Jarvis Jones
    8. Keenan Allen
    9. Alec Ogletree
    10. Gavin Escobar
    Interesting that he has Floyd over Hankins.
    That list is interesting. I don't think it's far off. Shariff Floyd is just not getting the kind of love he deserves. Defensive tackles that have a great first step and consistently get into the backfield are MAJOR impact players.

Is Hankins bigger, stronger, better against the run, etc? Sure... but he doesn't disrupt the passer as much and that trumps EVERYTHING. Who would you rather have, Haloti Ngata or Geno Atkins? I'd rather have Atkins all day and all night.

I've also been beating the drum on Gavin Escobar like crazy. Dude is a beast... GREAT receiving TE who isn't a top-flight blocker right now, but he has the tools to become one with time and coaching.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Minter isn't worth that pick. He's not as good a prospect as Kendricks and Wagner the inside linebackers who both went in the 2nd round last year. I see his name in the 1st round in a lot of mock drafts but I really don't get it.

Someone will draft Mathieu in the 4th or 5th round but it won't be Ozzie. The Cardinals would be the best place since he could play with his mentor Patrick Peterson.
    Not a lot of options at 32 man, and this draft isn't as strong as last years draft.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    That list is interesting. I don't think it's far off. Shariff Floyd is just not getting the kind of love he deserves. Defensive tackles that have a great first step and consistently get into the backfield are MAJOR impact players.

Is Hankins bigger, stronger, better against the run, etc? Sure... but he doesn't disrupt the passer as much and that trumps EVERYTHING. Who would you rather have, Haloti Ngata or Geno Atkins? I'd rather have Atkins all day and all night.

I've also been beating the drum on Gavin Escobar like crazy. Dude is a beast... GREAT receiving TE who isn't a top-flight blocker right now, but he has the tools to become one with time and coaching.
    I'd take Ngata over Atkins personally, but that's just me. Especially if we're talking Ngata of 09/2010.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Why would Kelly trade Foles for Tebow?
    IF Kelly was interested in a mobile QB...which just going by history here would suggest that he likes to design his offense around QB's with mobility...then Tebow might not be a bad choice.

Consider this:

Kelly may not envision Nick Foles as the guy to run his offense (just speculation here...), so even though he may let Foles compete for a starting gig, the likelihood of Foles winning the gig is small because Foles is more of a traditional, drop-back QB. In that regard, if Foles were just going to ride the pine, why not trade him to a team for a QB who (though has his issues as a passer) would be a lot more "friendly" to Kelly's offense. Even if Tebow can't win the starting nod for Kelly's offense, he still would be a better off-the-bench QB for Kelly's offense than what Foles would be.

Secondly, I was more looking at it from the Jets stance. Foles would be inexpensive, has knowledge of Mornigwheg's offense, and is arguably already better than Sanchez.

Now, it is entirely possible that Kelly and Pat Shurmur design an offense that fits Nick Foles' strengths. However, I think that the success of Russell Wilson, RGIII, and Kaepernick are going to be enough to convince Kelly that his offense will work in the NFL and he'll be trying to target a QB with those skills.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Yea, I thought that was weird too. I'd take Hankins 10 times out of 10 over Floyd.

I think that you could argue that Floyd has a higher ceiling than Hankins. That might be the only thing I could come up with for why you would rank him above Hankins.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

:word

However GOTA, I will say that because of the scaled rookie wages now, it does making taking a lesser valued guy that you REALLY like a lot easier.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

Guys like Jimmy Graham and Aaron Hernandez are showing why being a receiving TE is going to make you more valuable than a balanced (Pettigrew/Gresham) or blocking TE.

WE DONT KNOW THE ROUNDS OUR COMP PICKS ARE YET, UNTIL A FEW WEEKS BEFORE THE DRAFT. All we know is we have 4.

I think Floyd + Short = Warren Sapp... which doesn't mean I think each is 50% of Sapp. It means that I think that both could get to that level. Incredible disruptor potential with either man IMO.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Guys like Jimmy Graham and Aaron Hernandez are showing why being a receiving TE is going to make you more valuable than a balanced (Pettigrew/Gresham) or blocking TE.
    I'll be good and PO'd...I mean really PO'd if we only take a slow lumbering TE with a 24 inch vertical b/c he can be block. Too much "RZ difference maker" talent in this Draft to not grab one.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'll be good and PO'd...I mean really PO'd if we only take a slow lumbering TE with a 24 inch vertical b/c he can be block. Too much "RZ difference maker" talent in this Draft to not grab one.
    Me too.

Do you classify Michael Williams into that slow/lumbering group?

I don't. He's no speedster, but he's pretty solid. I'd be happy with Michael Williams as a mid-to-late round pick up.