Page 131 of 333 FirstFirst ... 129130131132133 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,572 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

I wouldn't be too thrilled with Okafor in the first round, after just taking Upshaw last year, and especially when we have Kruger on the roster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I wouldn't be too thrilled with Okafor in the first round, after just taking Upshaw last year, and especially when we have Kruger on the roster.
    Orly?

Last I checked Kruger was a UFA after the Super Bowl. :)
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Lane Johnson would be a nice addition, IMO.

Though, I think his stock is going to skyrocket.
    Johnson is going to be a top 15 pick...he is pretty much locking himself into the 3rd LT that will be taken...and LT is like QB and CB...a premium position that is almost always overdrafted. There are a ton of teams with huge needs at OT.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Don't rule out a pass rusher if one drops.

Alex Okafor, Dion Jordan, Sam Montgomery, or someone like that could very well drop.
    Eh...I'm not big on Okafor or Montgomery in the first at all. I like Jordan and I think he'd be the pick if he was there.

But I think they need more pass rushers from their interior defensive linemen.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I think Sam Montgomery is going to be a very good NFL player on a 4-3 team. The Giants would be a perfect fit. He could play here too but a pure 4-3 makes more sense for someone like that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I think Sam Montgomery is going to be a very good NFL player on a 4-3 team. The Giants would be a perfect fit. He could play here too but a pure 4-3 makes more sense for someone like that.
    I agree.

I actually think Montgomery compares heavily to Suggs.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Remember our collective "trade up for Fischer" scenario? That's what we're talking about with Lane Johnson now.
    Partly b/c of his Mobile practices.
    Partly b/c of Lewan and Matthews returning to school.
    Hence our "focus" on Quesenberry, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    He's had a miserable week of practice. Definitely not as high on him as I used to be. He looked better on tape but obviously Wisconsin's excellent OL staff knew how to mask his inadequacies. He's fallen way behind a bunch of other guys at this point, Quessenberry being one of them, as mid-round LT possibilities.

If Lane Johnson lasts to 32, I think there's a really good chance he'll be the Ravens pick, actually. Not sure they'd take him over Elam, but Elam might not be there.
    The Ravens have shown the propensity to "get by" with lower rated talent at Safety, see Will Demps, Dawan Landry...

I think if given that situation that they would take Johnson, but I'm pretty sure they will have to trade upo to have that opportunity.

Quesenberry looks like a reasonable Jared Veldheer type of fallback option. Hopefully he he works out as well if we draft him.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't trade up for Lane Johnson, but would probably take him over Matt Elam.

Now lets think of this for a minute. If we re-sign McKinnie on a 1/2 year deal, and draft Johnson, you could make this Oline very very good but moving Oher inside to RG and move Yanda to C, and play Johnson at RT. Johnson can play on both sides too btw.

McKinnie-KO-Yanda-Oher-Johnson

Food for thought.

Frankly, I think we should be looking at LT's that will be therein the late second to mid 3rd round area.

Guys like...Chris Faulk (he was thought to be a first round LT before he tore his ACL early last season...really a forgotten player by a lot of fans), Kyle Long out of Oregon (good potential and good athlete, but not a lot of tape as he was a transfer), David Quessenberry out of San Jose State (good athlete but will need to put on weight) and maybe a Menelik Watson out of FSU...Faulk and Watson may be RT guys though.

I don't see any way Fisher or Johnson last past the top 15-20.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Well I have Johnson going to the Saints at 15 ATM, doesn't mean I'll be right obviously. Its not as if OT's have never fell. Take a look last year at Jo martin (went in the second round when most expected him to be a top 15 pick), Cordy Glenn (Dropped to the second), and Reilly Reiff who went to Detroit past 20.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I wouldn't trade up for Lane Johnson, but would probably take him over Matt Elam.

Now lets think of this for a minute. If we re-sign McKinnie on a 1/2 year deal, and draft Johnson, you could make this Oline very very good but moving Oher inside to RG and move Yanda to C, and play Johnson at RT. Johnson can play on both sides too btw.

McKinnie-KO-Yanda-Oher-Johnson

Food for thought.
    They are not moving Yanda to center and if they take Johnson, he will be taking over LT from McKinnie...who wouldn't be brought back.

I really...really don't understand your almost total resistance to having Gradkowski in there at center. It's like you are obsessed with size...as if that is the only way we'll be able to run the ball is if we have a 320 pound center.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    They are not moving Yanda to center and if they take Johnson, he will be taking over LT from McKinnie...who wouldn't be brought back.

I really...really don't understand your almost total resistance to having Gradkowski in there at center. It's like you are obsessed with size...as if that is the only way we'll be able to run the ball is if we have a 320 pound center.
    And I don't understand peoples obsession over 4th round picks being starters straight away, but that was a big negative on Gino at TC, just reading the reports this site written up on him during TC. 6'2 and probably under 300 lbs IMO is a big down side unless you are very very athletic. IMO you move people around to have your 5 best players starting, not start a player just because he was drafted a year before in the 4th round, for all we know every pick past the 3rd round last year were depth picks. After all, Eric him self said that the 2012 draft was a "depth draft".