Page 124 of 333 FirstFirst ... 122123124125126 ... LastLast
Results 1,477 to 1,488 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I think the whole thinking behind Tyrod is that if Flacco were to go down for a game or two, teams would have a hard time preparing for the kind of gameplan that Tyrod would be running. Just the novelty alone probably gives you a shot to steal a game or two. If Flacco goes down with a serious injury it doesn't matter anyway because that season is shot.

No interest IMO in going out and getting a backup QB on the open market. They can't spare the money. I'd rather just see them spend another 6th or 7th round pick on a more pure drop-back type QB, maybe somebody who flies under the radar because of playing at a small school or whatever. (Sean Renfree? Brad Sorenson? There are several good options out there.) Develop him and see what he can turn into.
    I've subscribed to the "athletic backup QB" for a few years now... In the middle of a game if the starter goes down, it can be very, veryeffective in moving the ball. After a few weeks, however, you are correct. Additionally, it exposes yoru backup to injury as well, which long term isn't the best idea. So to go a step further, I like the idea of an athletic backup, and another pocket passer as 3rd string, and sometimes the 3rd string guy would be where I turn if I have a week to prepare my offense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I think the whole thinking behind Tyrod is that if Flacco were to go down for a game or two, teams would have a hard time preparing for the kind of gameplan that Tyrod would be running. Just the novelty alone probably gives you a shot to steal a game or two. If Flacco goes down with a serious injury it doesn't matter anyway because that season is shot.

No interest IMO in going out and getting a backup QB on the open market. They can't spare the money. I'd rather just see them spend another 6th or 7th round pick on a more pure drop-back type QB, maybe somebody who flies under the radar because of playing at a small school or whatever. (Sean Renfree? Brad Sorenson? There are several good options out there.) Develop him and see what he can turn into.
    Honestly, we could probably pick up Shane Renfree as a UDFA.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    How much cap room do we open up after Ray, Bobbie Williams, and Birk retire?
    http://russellstreetreport.com/raven...dbye-for-some/

Quinton Patton is a guy I want. Just made a beautiful contested catch on the sideline. Coverage was great but somehow he came down with it. He's the best receiver on the South team.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Quinton Patton is a guy I want. Just made a beautiful contested catch on the sideline. Coverage was great but somehow he came down with it. He's the best receiver on the South team.
    heh...he's really showing-off down there.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    I'd much rather go with Austin over Goodwin. Maybe that's just my familiarity but I've seen Austin beat up on bigger corners (route-wise) in college, haven't seen that from Goodwin yet.
    Nobody would take Goodwin before Austin...in no way was I suggesting that...and I don't think Wiked was either.

Austin is a sure fire high second round pick IMHO.

Goodwin was a guy I was hoping would be there for us to take at the end of the 5th round.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Another observation from last night, SYR WR Alec Lemon is really slow.

Also, we talked to SJSU TE Ryan Otten, and I've read reports that he needs to work on his blocking.
    So a straight-up Dickson "replacement"? (If so, I'd rather have Escobar or Kelce.)
    Or was our west coast scout just not able to catch up with him during the season?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    There is nobody in this draft I'd trade up for apart from Star Louteilei or Johnathan Hankins. I think Matt Elam or Barrett Jones are just about the safest picks for us. I'd probably take Eric Reid in the 2nd round if I was considering to trade back.
    If the Ravens plan to leave Osmele at guard than I don't see Barrett Jones as a safe pick. The Ravens are going to have a ton of holes to fill through the draft and free agency. Using first rounder on a C after using a very high 4th rounder the previous year does not make sense. I would be very disappointed if they had written off an Olinemen after 1 year. He held up well in the limited snaps I he got at the end of the year. The first, second and third rounders really need to be use on positions of need this year. Guys that can come in and potentially start. S, LT, MLB and WR are the biggest areas of need.

1. We need not screw with the current version of our OL. Give McKinnie another year or two and that gives us more time to find our starting LT.

2. Our depth chart pretty much = current starter then FA/Trade then Draftee by year, and by round. Only injuries break that formula.

So when Birk retires after we beat SF, Gino will be the #1 center. Jones' value spot will probably be a bit too high for just depth so we'll pass. Same with my boy Travis Frederick. Obviously, if someone falls then we could grab em.

This draft is looking more like a defensive heavy one WRT starters. Any OL draftees will be for depth and will come in round 3 and beyond I'm thinking.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Don't get why everyone thinks WR is such a big need. We have one of the best WR corps in the league, if anything we need a TE to compliment Pitta. WR is such a glamorous position, everyone always wants one year in year out, but the truth is we have much more pressing needs than WR when you have Boldin, Smith, and Jacoby. The only way I see WR being a big need is if Boldin is a cap casualty (and going by his play off performance, there is no way the FO are going to cut him unless it comes to last resort cap space, Jacoby likely wont be cut either, infact I expect him to be extended if anything).

Safety is the biggest need when Reed retires, MLB comes a close second, and a nose tackle is a big need too. LT is a need, but if McKinnie is extended on another 1/2 year deal, we can buy some more time to find his long term replacement, or use a later pick on a developmental player, like a Ricky Wagner or a Xavier Nixon. TE is an underrated need, we arguably could do with two TE's, one who can block really well, and another athletic miss match.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Don't get why everyone thinks WR is such a big need. We have one of the best WR corps in the league, if anything we need a TE to compliment Pitta. WR is such a glamorous position, everyone always wants one year in year out, but the truth is we have much more pressing needs than WR when you have Boldin, Smith, and Jacoby. The only way I see WR being a big need is if Boldin is a cap casualty (and going by his play off performance, there is no way the FO are going to cut him unless it comes to last resort cap space, Jacoby likely wont be cut either, infact I expect him to be extended if anything).

Safety is the biggest need when Reed retires, MLB comes a close second, and a nose tackle is a big need too. LT is a need, but if McKinnie is extended on another 1/2 year deal, we can buy some more time to find his long term replacement, or use a later pick on a developmental player, like a Ricky Wagner or a Xavier Nixon. TE is an underrated need, we arguably could do with two TE's, one who can block really well, and another athletic miss match.
    Disagree on your assessment of our wr corp. Tsmith is a borderline #1. He is becoming a #1. Boldin is a borderline #2. He has had some clutch catches this year but he just does not get separation. Better WR corp:

ATL
    Den
    NYG
    NO
    Cin
    Dal
    TB
    Jac
    Ind
    Phi
    Pit
    GB

Borderline better:
    Was
    Sea

The Ravens do not have a receiver in the top 30 in catches or in the 20 in yards. Torrey is tied at 15th in TDs.

I do agree that Safety and MLB are pressing needs. If they don't bring back McKinnie than LT is a big need. In the current cap situation Boldin is way over priced for the regular season production.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Disagree on your assessment of our wr corp. Tsmith is a borderline #1. He is becoming a #1. Boldin is a borderline #2. He has had some clutch catches this year but he just does not get separation. Better WR corp:

ATL
    Den
    NYG
    NO
    Cin
    Dal
    TB
    Jac
    Ind
    Phi
    Pit
    GB

Borderline better:
    Was
    Sea

The Ravens do not have a receiver in the top 30 in catches or in the 20 in yards. Torrey is tied at 15th in TDs.

I do agree that Safety and MLB are pressing needs. If they don't bring back McKinnie than LT is a big need. In the current cap situation Boldin is way over priced for the regular season production.
    Problem is you're just going by stats and yards now, so that must mean Flacco isn't a good QB because his stats weren't great this year?

Only reason Torrey and Boldin didn't have the great stats this year was because of Cam Cameron. Had we had Caldwell all year calling the plays, our offense would have been in the top 5 by yards and scoring IMO, and both Boldin and Torrey would have been over 1k yards.

I'm going by the play offs here, and our offense has looked better than everyone else, even Atlanta who have Roddy White and Julio Jones.

And LOL, Pittsburgh have a better corps than us? Indi? Cincy? How do you figure that one out?