Page 116 of 333 FirstFirst ... 114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,392 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Burifict and to a lesser extent Dennard of the Patriots is exactly the reason why I see some team drafting him. Some coach will think they can fix him and get a steal.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You may be right.
    There may be something to this, but beware outcome bias. We can't definitively say that teams were wrong to pass on Dennard and Burfict just because they've had some success where they ended up--too many variables involved. Teams' attitudes may change but I don't think it's a given.

And the situations are not even all that close. Burfict was clean off the field IIRC. He fell because of a weak senior year, bad workouts, and bad practice habits. Dennard fell because he also had a bad pre-draft process and got abused by Alshon Jeffery to close out his season. He did also have the arrest which was really the icing on the cake as it were.

I like Mathieu as a collegiate player but he just combines a lot of football questions with serious character issues and a questionable legal history. It's not a good combination.

Blog Entries

Swope's small hands may drop him to the 4th where I think he would be a solid pick for us. I think Swope could compete to be the successor to AnQuan Boldin with Tandon Doss. I actually had him as a late 2nd round prospect, going purely by film, and the competition he faced, but I've knocked him down into the 3rd, but there is a chance he may drop even further than that.

Blog Entries

Alright, let's say that Anquan Boldin is not retained, for whatever reason, how do we think a Tavon Austin would fit into a developing high powered No Huddle offense here with Joe and Jim at the helm.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Alright, let's say that Anquan Boldin is not retained, for whatever reason, how do we think a Tavon Austin would fit into a developing high powered No Huddle offense here with Joe and Jim at the helm.
    Not a fan of Austin, I prefer Stedman Baily if we're talking West Virgnia.

I think the FO are going to do everything they can to make sure Boldin remains a Raven for at least another year. I think there is a higher chance he retires if we win the SB, than getting cut. If you get rid of Boldin, you're going in with Smith and Jacoby as the starters. Both are good players, but they just aren't reliable targets at this point where Flacco can just throw them the ball on 3rd down to move the chains, it may be Tandon Doss, but I really doubt he's ready to be that guy next season, and anybody from the draft wont be any where near as good as Boldin early on even at this point in his career. It would be a massive downgrade whoever replaces him, unless we make a big time trade, or replace him with a big FA name at WR.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    So what's Caldwell's ask for the OS? Assuming he'll lobby hard for re-signing McKinnie, and assuming we'll see more exploitative formations and schemes (i.e., throwing the ball between the hashes b/c your opponent's ILBs are slow and their safeties are cheating over toward your speedster out wide), what does Jim think is missing?

I'm still coming up with the route runner that can create space with his feet and technique as a priority (...round drafted would have no bearing. The greatest value still applies.)
    I agree that they don't really have the kind of "technician" at WR that's really needed for the "Jim Caldwell Colts"-esque vertical passing game to reach its highest potential. Think back to the 2009 Colts when they really overachieved on offense: Pierre Garcon was the deep threat a la Torrey Smith that teams had to respect blowing the top off; Reggie Wayne was the "technician" who used route running, technique, and savvy to pretty much get open at will in the short and intermediate game (occasionally going long); Austin Collie and Dallas Clark ran wild in the underneath game.

Torrey is Garcon, Boldin is Collie, Pitta is Clark, so who's Reggie Wayne? At one point I thought Doss had that kind of potential but I don't see the crispness or good body control to play that role at all. Thompson and Streeter are extremely raw and probably best fit in the offense as "package" players. Jacoby isn't the answer. They need somebody who can be a go-to option that gets legit separation and CONSISTENTLY beats the jam (the #1 weakness of this WR corps remains its inability to get separation in press-man coverage IMO.)

Your guy Quinton Patton is having a good Senior Bowl thus far, BPR... and I see some Reggie Wayne to his game. I don't think he has quite the suddenness out of his breaks that a truly elite WR has but that could come with coaching as he didn't really need to run complex routes in college. I think the Ravens will find somebody in the draft.

Here are the reports from Senior Bowl practice via NFP

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU (6050, 275 and 4.70): Ansah was very impressive during one-on-one drill as he not only demonstrated the explosiveness needed to take the edge, but was also able to convert speed to power against Xavier Nixon when he overset the edge. He looked like a quick twitch athlete today as he consistently displayed outstanding first step quickness. In addition, he demonstrated sound recognition skills on a rep during team period, where he was unable to penetrate but got his hand up to bat down a pass.
    John Jenkins, DT, Georgia (6037, 359 and 5.30): Jenkins was a frustrating player to watch today as he at times showed flashes of greatness, but disappointed too often with his inconsistent play. He clearly has the natural strength needed to hold the POA against multiple blockers and can drive pass blocker with a powerful bull rush. Where he struggled was with his motor, as he did not consistently play with a high level of intensity and was repeatedly prodded by Lions’ coaches to finish plays.
    Swope had a ROUGH outing

Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M (6002, 204 and 4.59): Swope had a terrible day catching the ball as he consistently let the ball get into his body, resulting in five drops over the course of practice. He was able to create separation off free releases with his foot quickness, but did not demonstrate the strength needed to beat the jam. Because he is not an explosive athlete with great deep speed, if he continues to struggle catching the ball this week his stock will likely drop considerably.

Blog Entries

Once upon a time, I thought that Boldin would certainly be gone. Particularly, since Caldwell has gotten his feet wet, Boldin has come alive. It has become a take your pick situation. Either you are going to double Torrey and leave Boldin singled up or you are going to try stopping Rice and Boldin while Torrey gets deep.

I think that they will make more of a play to keep Boldin than Jacoby Jones. They will probably try to transition Deonte Thompson into Jones' role.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Once upon a time, I thought that Boldin would certainly be gone. Particularly, since Caldwell has gotten his feet wet, Boldin has come alive. It has become a take your pick situation. Either you are going to double Torrey and leave Boldin singled up or you are going to try stopping Rice and Boldin while Torrey gets deep.

I think that they will make more of a play to keep Boldin than Jacoby Jones. They will probably try to transition Deonte Thompson into Jones' role.
    :word

Blog Entries

Ok that's me off the Ryan Swope bandwagon lol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Ok that's me off the Ryan Swope bandwagon lol.
    I'm not off his bandwagon...yet. I still think he'd be a decent addition as a late round pick. He could just be having a rough day. Nerves do impact some players, but eventually they can get over it.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Burifict and to a lesser extent Dennard of the Patriots is exactly the reason why I see some team drafting him. Some coach will think they can fix him and get a steal.
    Honey Badger was a late round pick before the drama. He cannot cover a lick. He is a special teams star and below average in coverage. With all the drama issues he should be a 7th rounder at best. He is basically Asa Jackson.

Blog Entries

I completely disagree. I've seen almost every game he played at LSU. He's pretty much the safety version on Webb. He needs to put on some weight for the NFL but he's an incredible playmaker. It was all set up for him to have a huge season in 2012 and he blew it.

He's been living with Patrick Peterson's family in an attempt to learn how to live off the field. I have no idea how it's working. If he's remotely normal I could see a team wanting him. The best place for him to go would be to the Cardinals where he could reunite with Peterson. That could be something special.