Page 110 of 333 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,309 to 1,320 of 3987
  1. #1309

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread



    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

    I really think the move is extension/cap reductions on JJ, Leach and Boldin. Maybe 3 year deals each, counting next year. It would help allow some flexibility.
    I don't think handing out 3 year extensions to multiple guys over 30 is a good idea. Especially Leach. Someone mentioned that maybe we should go to more 2 TE sets and maybe use one as an HBack.

    I like what Leach provides, but if we are going to really make this offense about Joe, I don't think having the highest paid FB in the league is necessary. I think versatility that you can use on any and every down is more valuable than a FB that is on the field just a little over half the snaps.

    Just My Opinion.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  2. #1310
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,635
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't think handing out 3 year extensions to multiple guys over 30 is a good idea. Especially Leach. Someone mentioned that maybe we should go to more 2 TE sets and maybe use one as an HBack.
    Agreed on all points. I'd say Leach is gone. Agree that the H-Back is more the way to go, and it's not like we've never lined TE's up in the backfield (Heap used to do it some, mostly in situations where we were in desperate need of blitz pickup, cant recall Pitta doing it but he might, Dickson ill suited for that role and if he does come back I hope it's for no more than vet minimum -- even a low tender is too much for him IMHO).

    But certainly with the cap situation, a guy who can play that HBack gives us position flexibility we'll need, plus it's the way things are going. The way NE lines up Hernandez back there and uses rubs and screens to spring him loose is something everybody should be looking to copy.

    Boldin and Jones are both tough calls with their cap numbers, either will need at least a 2 year deal in order to restructure. Both have their pluses and minuses as far as a multi year deal. I don't see a ready Boldin replacement coming our way, so we might have to suck it up, give him the 3 years to save cap space and pray he ages like Mason. I don't necessarily like that, but I don't right now see what our options are there.
    No one likes us, and we don't care.




  3. #1311

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    I love Boldin, I love his tenacity on the field and aggression. Jones is an amazing returner, he seems to change field position more times than not, and has proven to be a better receiver than most of us thought. They are both important parts of this team, but at least one of them is going to have to go. I feel like we can replace boldins production more even though its going to be hard to replace his physicality in going up to get the ball. Leach is amazing and has done great things for rice, but we just can't afford them. Draft micheal Williams, give doss a shot or draft a solid kick returner because at this point that's our only options




  4. #1312
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,127
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    I love Boldin, I love his tenacity on the field and aggression. Jones is an amazing returner, he seems to change field position more times than not, and has proven to be a better receiver than most of us thought. They are both important parts of this team, but at least one of them is going to have to go. I feel like we can replace boldins production more even though its going to be hard to replace his physicality in going up to get the ball. Leach is amazing and has done great things for rice, but we just can't afford them. Draft micheal Williams, give doss a shot or draft a solid kick returner because at this point that's our only options
    Keep in mind that Deonte Thompson and Asa Jackson were also kick returners. David Reed could also be retained for that duty a lot cheaper than Jacoby.

    I cant honestly say that any of those three would be as good or better than Jacoby. Though, Reed was pretty solid.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #1313

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Keep in mind that Deonte Thompson and Asa Jackson were also kick returners. David Reed could also be retained for that duty a lot cheaper than Jacoby.

    I cant honestly say that any of those three would be as good or better than Jacoby. Though, Reed was pretty solid.
    Really man? That's a very strong assertion. Jacoby was the reason won we won an extra 2-3 games this year. He's the most dangerous all-around return man right now. What makes you so confident that Asa and Deonte are going to match that?




  6. #1314

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    I love Boldin, I love his tenacity on the field and aggression. Jones is an amazing returner, he seems to change field position more times than not, and has proven to be a better receiver than most of us thought. They are both important parts of this team, but at least one of them is going to have to go. I feel like we can replace boldins production more even though its going to be hard to replace his physicality in going up to get the ball. Leach is amazing and has done great things for rice, but we just can't afford them. Draft micheal Williams, give doss a shot or draft a solid kick returner because at this point that's our only options
    I agree with a good chunk of what you say. The Ravens don't have a ton of cap room, but their hands are totally tied either.

    What I did was assume the Ravens get something tied up with Flacco for 2013 and that his cap # is $9.5 million. I also assumed that Bobbie Williams and Matt Birk were not on the 2013 roster. I left all the on-the-fencers (Leach, Ayanbadejo, Jacoby, Boldin, McClain) alone for now. Based on my estimates, our cap for 2013 stands at $118.1 Once you factor in the rookies salary upgrades, assuming we don't trade up too much, that puts us at $119.6 roughly, or roughly $1 million under the cap. Obviously, that puts us in a bad spot with retaining Kruger, Ellerbe, or signing any major free agents. We'll have to do something with a least some of the players above. Restructuring Suggs might also make some sense. Even a restructure of Sam Koch might open up a little money.




  7. #1315

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Great mock LukeDaniel, been working on one myself and i have a few of the same people...

    1-Kevin Minter LB LSU
    2-Justin Pugh LT Syracuse
    3-Baccarri Rambo FS Georgia
    4-Brandon Williams NT/DT Missou Southern St.
    4-Ace Sanders WR South Carolina *Compensatory*
    5-Michael Williams TE Alabama
    5-Devonte Holloman LB South Carolina
    6-Keith Pugh OLB Howard
    6-Brad Sorensen QB Southern Utah *compensatory*
    7-Matt Stankiewitch C Penn St.
    7-Greg Reid CB Valdosta St. *compensatory*

    -Count me in on the Minter train, him and Ellerbe(crosses fingers lol)would be a formidable tandem

    -Pugh is a legit LT prospect that as played in a pro style pass offense, really just needs to bulk up a bit, reminds of Joe Staley

    -Rambo i think is being undervalued, i think he's a day 1 starter, has the range, physicality, play making ability and he's decisive

    -Williams i think has huge upside, can play the Nose or 5 tech, needs some grooming but i think CB can make him a player

    -Ace Sanders is an explosive compact guy who i think can be that chain moving slot guy

    -Michael Williams give us a blocker presence at TE and a red zone threat either as a receiver or blocker

    -Holloman is a former SS, physical guy, can be that nickel LB we need but has some upside to be more in time

    -Pugh is a explosive developmental edge rusher

    -Sorensen is a former BYU guy that has the tools to be a nice backup, could also allow the team to use Tyrod in special packages

    -Stankiewitch is a rock solid guy that could possibly be a long term back to Gino

    -Reid is a former Florida St. corner that was dismissed from school, coming off injury but has upside as a slot corner and KR depth

    Please guys share any thoughts, criticisms, critiques
    Yea, we have very similar tastes/expectations for this upcoming draft. What is your opinion of Aboushi versus Pugh?




  8. #1316

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Really man? That's a very strong assertion. Jacoby was the reason won we won an extra 2-3 games this year. He's the most dangerous all-around return man right now. What makes you so confident that Asa and Deonte are going to match that?
    Not taking anything away from Jacoby, but you have to give A LOT of credit to the kick and punt return teams for blocking really well. The holes they opened up for Jacoby were phenomenal this year, on several long returns he hit the lane and turned on the jets totally untouched. On all 3 of his TD returns nobody ever laid a hand on him IIRC, credit him for finding the hole and hitting it but it's a lot easier when you get that kind of blocking. Deonte Thompson had some good kick returns as well before he was benched for fumbling.

    I certainly don't think Jacoby is irreplaceable.




  9. #1317
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Really man? That's a very strong assertion. Jacoby was the reason won we won an extra 2-3 games this year. He's the most dangerous all-around return man right now. What makes you so confident that Asa and Deonte are going to match that?
    He didn't say they would match Jones' production. In fact he said he honestly couldn't say they would. What he did say - and it's accurate - is that they would be much cheaper alternatives. The question is then whether or not that's an acceptable trade-off. Jones would cost the Ravens $4.9M against the cap if they retained him. Could the Ravens be better off using that money to keep a cheaper alternative (Reed,Thompson, Jackson) and then using the difference to fill another need? It's a zero sum game with a salary cap, and I think the Ravens might be better off spending that money differently than dumping it all into one guy.

    I love what Jones has done for the Ravens, but is he going to be worth the cost going forward? Same with Boldin. There is $12.4M tied up in those two guys alone. That's about 10% of the cap.




  10. #1318

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Yea, we have very similar tastes/expectations for this upcoming draft. What is your opinion of Aboushi versus Pugh?
    I think Aboushi is better and more ready to play, i think thru the process he'll rise to the first round and thats the only reason i dont have the Ravens taking him, i think he goes before we pick in the first




  11. #1319

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    He didn't say they would match Jones' production. In fact he said he honestly couldn't say they would. What he did say - and it's accurate - is that they would be much cheaper alternatives. The question is then whether or not that's an acceptable trade-off. Jones would cost the Ravens $4.9M against the cap if they retained him. Could the Ravens be better off using that money to keep a cheaper alternative (Reed,Thompson, Jackson) and then using the difference to fill another need? It's a zero sum game with a salary cap, and I think the Ravens might be better off spending that money differently than dumping it all into one guy.

    I love what Jones has done for the Ravens, but is he going to be worth the cost going forward? Same with Boldin. There is $12.4M tied up in those two guys alone. That's about 10% of the cap.
    I agree that is too much money tied into two receivers with their production. But would it even be worth it to cut them? How much dead money are we talking?




  12. #1320

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    I think you restructure and extend Jacoby another season or two, make it worth his while security wise to take less money and keep that threat in the return game and deep threat a little while longer. With Boldin i just think you have to try to get him to take a pay cut. If not you may just have to release him, they just cant afford to pay him that kind of money.




Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland