Page 108 of 333 FirstFirst ... 106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 1,285 to 1,296 of 3987
  1. Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I would love to see them keep Kruger as well, but I'm also a realist. He may just be too expensive.
    Sad to agree on this.
    Far as the first round pick is concerned, I would like the Ravens to take the guy who is their highest rated OL, DL or LB unless someone ridiculous falls to them at another position.
    Vellano is a guy I like. He has intangibles that make me think he will be a better player than his measurables would predict.
    Margus Hunt is a boom or bust guy. He could be a monster or could be Vernon Ghoulston lol. What happens with a guy like Kruger does have an effect on how you view a prospect like him to some extent. If you know you lost Kruger and need a pass rusher your going to be more likely to assume some risk. If your retain Kruger you might be more inclined to pick another position or go with a guy who has a lower ceiling but higher floor so to speak.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Speaking of Kruger...we could make sure that we keep the name on the team this year by drafting Paul Kruger's not-so-little (younger) brother, Joe Kruger. He is a DT out of Utah and is 6'7" and about 290lbs. Not a bad player.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Folks, the Te'o hoax story grew to be much larger than this thread. In order to save this draft / FA thread, please post your future Te'o posts in the Non Ravens Football area of the forum.

There's a Te'o thread there that's up and running. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Folks, the Te'o hoax story grew to be much larger than this thread. In order to save this draft / FA thread, please post your future Te'o posts in the Non Ravens Football area of the forum.

There's a Te'o thread there that's up and running. Thanks!
    :word

Hunt was dominant in the Fresno State bowl game...and he had another game where he was extremely productive...but it's concerning that he didn't have any production in most of his other games.

I really like him, but I wouldn't take him before the end of the third.

I don't know how I feel about Dion Jordan in the first either.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Man, I just watched some more stuff on Gerald Hodges...I really, really like that guy. After the top 2 obviously, and Minter, he is by far my favorite LB. I really hope we get a chance to grab him at the end of the second round.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Lucas Reed, brother of Brooks, is a 6'6 255 TE out of New Mexico.
    Look for him at the EWS game. Did well in practice on Wednesday.

There are some big @ss TEs in this Draft...off memory, I count Sudfeld, Ertz, Kasa, Kelce, Eifert, Toilolo, Fauria, Griffin, Otten, Escobar...so at least 11 that are 6'5/245 or greater. We are definitely going to get one of them.

-Fauria is soft. We'll pass on him.
    -Eifert should be gone by our pick, but I only see ATL or GB taking him in his value range.
    -Ertz is not the blocker we're looking for.
    -Toilolo is a better blocker than Ertz, but I can't get comfortable with him for some reason. Will concede that the FO may like him though.
    -Escobar doesn't block in SDSU system is my understanding. I'd propose using him like Hernandez: a third WR. He'd be a force as a pseudo-WR.
    -Sudfeld's injury history is a concern (although it was really just 1 bad year)...otherwise, he's the best combo value of RZ/in-line blocking/3rd and long
    -Kaice...I need to investigate his blocking
    -Griffin...same thing; almost no film
    -Otten...doesn't block in SJSt's system IIRC from film
    -Kasa...converted OL or DL IIRC. Awful offense at Colorado. No film. Read that his hands are terrific and that he's mean. No idea of his speed.
    -Reed...need more information

So based upon what I've seen, know and what I think we need, here are how I'd slot the TE's that I think we'd might want to suit up...

Eifert - 1st round (I love how he consistently high points the ball. His blocking has improved and he has the frame to add some muscle.)
    Escobar - 3rd round (as proposed above; do not draft otherwise)
    Toilolo - 3rd round (best/highest case scenario here; conceding the FO loves him to remove my own bias)
    Sudfeld - 3rd round (I think he'd do wonders for this offense; more YAC than Eifert, not sure if the vertical is there)
    Griffin and Kasa - 4th round or below (Need more information)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Lucas Reed, brother of Brooks, is a 6'6 255 TE out of New Mexico.
    Look for him at the EWS game. Did well in practice on Wednesday.

There are some big @ss TEs in this Draft...off memory, I count Sudfeld, Ertz, Kasa, Kelce, Eifert, Toilolo, Fauria, Griffin, Otten, Escobar...so at least 11 that are 6'5/245 or greater. We are definitely going to get one of them.

-Fauria is soft. We'll pass on him.
    -Eifert should be gone by our pick, but I only see ATL or GB taking him in his value range.
    -Ertz is not the blocker we're looking for.
    -Toilolo is a better blocker than Ertz, but I can't get comfortable with him for some reason. Will concede that the FO may like him though.
    -Escobar doesn't block in SDSU system is my understanding. I'd propose using him like Hernandez: a third WR. He'd be a force as a pseudo-WR.
    -Sudfeld's injury history is a concern (although it was really just 1 bad year)...otherwise, he's the best combo value of RZ/in-line blocking/3rd and long
    -Kaice...I need to investigate his blocking
    -Griffin...same thing; almost no film
    -Otten...doesn't block in SJSt's system IIRC from film
    -Kasa...converted OL or DL IIRC. Awful offense at Colorado. No film. Read that his hands are terrific and that he's mean. No idea of his speed.
    -Reed...need more information

So based upon what I've seen, know and what I think we need, here are how I'd slot the TE's that I think we'd might want to suit up...

Eifert - 1st round (I love how he consistently high points the ball. His blocking has improved and he has the frame to add some muscle.)
    Escobar - 3rd round (as proposed above; do not draft otherwise)
    Toilolo - 3rd round (best/highest case scenario here; conceding the FO loves him to remove my own bias)
    Sudfeld - 3rd round (I think he'd do wonders for this offense; more YAC than Eifert, not sure if the vertical is there)
    Griffin and Kasa - 4th round or below (Need more information)
    I still think that a TE like Michael Williams out of Alabama or Dion Sims out of Michigan State are real possibilities. Both are more balanced TE's regarding blocking vs receiving. Both are better than Bajema and I'd argue Williams is a better receiver than Dickson. Williams as a blocking TE and Pitta split out into the slot would be a nice formation set next year.

I think Williams would be good value in the 4th round.

I still think that a TE like Michael Williams out of Alabama or Dion Sims out of Michigan State are real possibilities. Both are more balanced TE's regarding blocking vs receiving. Both are better than Bajema and I'd argue Williams is a better receiver than Dickson. Williams as a blocking TE and Pitta split out into the slot would be a nice formation set next year.

I think Williams would be good value in the 4th round.
    I'll re-examine Williams this wknd. His lack of speed soured me first go-round.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'll re-examine Williams this wknd. His lack of speed soured me first go-round.
    Well, he isn't a speedy guy...but neither are Marcedes Lewis and Anthony Fasano, yet they're not too bad.

Again, I'm not looking at a guy like Williams as someone who is going to come in and stretch the middle of the field like Pitta or Vernon Davis. I'm looking at a guy who can come in here and be somewhat of a poor-man's Pettigrew. Good blocker. Solid receiver. Red zone threat.

Well, he isn't a speedy guy...but neither are Marcedes Lewis and Anthony Fasano, yet they're not too bad.

Again, I'm not looking at a guy like Williams as someone who is going to come in and stretch the middle of the field like Pitta or Vernon Davis. I'm looking at a guy who can come in here and be somewhat of a poor-man's Pettigrew. Good blocker. Solid receiver. Red zone threat.
    I see the value in the kind of player you're referencing and I'm high on Williams as well in a certain respect, but I just wonder if that's the direction to go in? Sure, you get A+ level blocking from Williams or Sims, but C- athleticism/"mismatch factor." I would downgrade blocking a few notches to get a better mismatch.

The reason why teams like the Patriots have so much success in the 2TE look isn't just because they have one guy who's a good athlete/pass catcher who stretches the field and one guy who can catch okay and blocks well. It's that both guys are just total mismatches. Linebackers can match up with a guy like Sims or Williams, but not Gronkowski.

If the Ravens come out in a 2TE look and the defense responds with a base set then you've already lost the chess match. The key is coming out with 2TE and forcing the defense to go to nickel, which you can then run on. I just think a guy like Escobar, Sudfield, or Otten--who either already are good blockers or show signs of being able to get to that level--gives you maybe C+ or B level blocking but A athleticism, and forces the defense into uncomfortable territory.

I think that's EXACTLY what we need in terms of another TE. I wish we had drafted JImmy Graham and Michael Hoomanawanui instead of Dickson and Pitta, but oh well. Hoomanawanui is carving out a nice little niche exactly as you describe in NE right now, albeit only when Gronk or Hernandez is hurt, which has been one or the other most of the year.