Page 107 of 333 FirstFirst ... 105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,273 to 1,284 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    WickedSolo's favorite guy Joe Vellano
    Huge fan of Vellano as well.

Reminds me of a penetrating version of Kelly Gregg.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I'm fairly new to this draft thing, am I to assume that he already has the technique needed to be a center in our Zone Blocking System and the quickness to seal off LB's at the second level?
    Well, I'm just an amateur myself, but Louisville uses a lot of zone blocking concepts and Benavides does well with them. He's very experienced and technically proficient with quick feet and good mobility. He's a very good athlete, and he gets to the second level well.

He's obviously not a drive-blocking center but he's done well in solo and combo blocking against some good DTs... like I said he shut down Sharrif Floyd of Florida as well as Sylvester Williams of North Carolina.

Blog Entries

WickedSolo's favorite guy Joe Vellano
    Yea, he is a really impressive player. I'd love for the Ravens to pick this kid up.

If he were 2-3" taller, he'd be a solid 2nd rounder IMO.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Gerald Hodges weighing in at 239 is a nice surprise.

Blog Entries

Also, Joe Vellano weighing in at 300lbs and still being that quick is a REALLY nice thing for him to maintain in this process. If he can belt out 25-30 reps on the bench, I think he could really move his stock up.

Geno Atkins is 6'1" 290lbs and look at how good he is. Vellano may not be a very tall guy, but he is just a nasty guy. Out of everyone in this draft, he is the one guy that I have wanted as a Raven for a couple of years now.

The other Terp DT, AJ Francis, might not be a bad addition in the later rounds either.

Blog Entries

Duke Williams out of Nevada might be another safety to keep an eye on. Pretty underrated player.

I guess I just don't get the infatuation with margins hunt and ansah. I understand their intangibles and potential but in the first I think the ravens really need to get a more polished player. This is the most important draft for the ravens in a long time, they need to pick players with better production and consistency than those two. I understand that they could become guys like Pierre Paul or JJ watt but I'd rather have a "safer pick" that being said I know that not everyone makes the transition to the nfl. This is almost like a new beginning for this organization, ray is retiring and we are in cap hell, a solid draft with 2 or 3 productive players with high ceilings goes a long way for this team. I also do not get the love for the center out of Wisconsin, are you all ready to give up on Gino? The only center I see them taking high is Barrett jones other than that it need to be defense defense defense with a receiver in there. Sign Ellerbe, let Kruger walk as he is not worth the money he is asking and pick some guys with more than intangibles to how for their college career

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Also, Joe Vellano weighing in at 300lbs and still being that quick is a REALLY nice thing for him to maintain in this process. If he can belt out 25-30 reps on the bench, I think he could really move his stock up.

Geno Atkins is 6'1" 290lbs and look at how good he is. Vellano may not be a very tall guy, but he is just a nasty guy. Out of everyone in this draft, he is the one guy that I have wanted as a Raven for a couple of years now.

The other Terp DT, AJ Francis, might not be a bad addition in the later rounds either.
    Both the guys are a little limited athletically but make up for in with work ethic and effort, Vellano even more so. You're not going to get slackers there.

After seeing every game Vellano has played I'm convinced he's going to be a factor in the NFL wherever he plays. He plays with incredible technique and motor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    I guess I just don't get the infatuation with margins hunt and ansah. I understand their intangibles and potential but in the first I think the ravens really need to get a more polished player. This is the most important draft for the ravens in a long time, they need to pick players with better production and consistency than those two. I understand that they could become guys like Pierre Paul or JJ watt but I'd rather have a "safer pick" that being said I know that not everyone makes the transition to the nfl. This is almost like a new beginning for this organization, ray is retiring and we are in cap hell, a solid draft with 2 or 3 productive players with high ceilings goes a long way for this team. I also do not get the love for the center out of Wisconsin, are you all ready to give up on Gino? The only center I see them taking high is Barrett jones other than that it need to be defense defense defense with a receiver in there. Sign Ellerbe, let Kruger walk as he is not worth the money he is asking and pick some guys with more than intangibles to how for their college career
    Margus Hunt is the definition of a boom or bust player. If he goes to the right system and reaches his potential, we are probably talking about a guy who could be the next Jared Allen/Julius Peppers type of DE. The guy is 6'8" 280lbs without a lick of fat on him. He supposedly has run the 40 in under 4.6, which would likely be a ridiculous 10-yard split, and he is strong as hell. The best part about him is that he has only played football for 2 years IIRC. The sky is the limit for him. Or, he could turn into a bust of epic proportions.

Truthfully, I am hoping they go for a pass rusher in round 1. Ideally, I'd like to see them target Dion Jordan.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post

Both the guys are a little limited athletically but make up for in with work ethic and effort, Vellano even more so. You're not going to get slackers there.

After seeing every game Vellano has played I'm convinced he's going to be a factor in the NFL wherever he plays. He plays with incredible technique and motor.
    And those are things you cant coach. Ill take lesser talented guys who haul ass any day of the week over talented guys with poor work ethic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Margus Hunt is the definition of a boom or bust player. If he goes to the right system and reaches his potential, we are probably talking about a guy who could be the next Jared Allen/Julius Peppers type of DE. The guy is 6'8" 280lbs without a lick of fat on him. He supposedly has run the 40 in under 4.6, which would likely be a ridiculous 10-yard split, and he is strong as hell. The best part about him is that he has only played football for 2 years IIRC. The sky is the limit for him. Or, he could turn into a bust of epic proportions.

Truthfully, I am hoping they go for a pass rusher in round 1. Ideally, I'd like to see them target Dion Jordan.

I think we need a pass rusher at 5 tech, hoping we can re-sign Kruger, hopefully he'd be the staple at the 3-4 OLB Sam position opposite Suggs for years.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 01-17-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think we need a pass rusher at 5 tech, hoping we can re-sign Kruger, hopefully he'd be the staple at the 3-4 OLB Sam position opposite Suggs for years.
    I would love to see them keep Kruger as well, but I'm also a realist. He may just be too expensive.