Page 102 of 333 FirstFirst ... 100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,213 to 1,224 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

If the Ravens could trade around and end up with Dion Jordan, Oday Aboushi, and Ryan Swope with the first three picks, I would be pretty stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    i wa lead to believe vaccaro was the better coverage player and I was beginning to wonder why he isn't talked about as one the best players in the class if that was the case because I knew how good Elam was. Elam is a complete safety IMO.

My only think about him is he can be reckless at times with his tackling, I could see a lot of personal fouls for hits on defencless receivers.

But obviously of that's his only negative ill take it
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    FWIW, Daniel Jeremiah really likes Vaccaro and compares him to Donte Whitner.
    If you go back and watch Texas vs. WVU Tavon Austin was completely destroying the Longhorns until they moved Vaccaro into the slot to pretty much cover him 1 on 1. And Vaccaro actually hung with him better than any other DB they had. That's outrageous because Vaccaro is a solid 6'1 215 and built like a friggin truck, yet he hung with one of the shiftiest and quickest players anybody's ever seen.

Matt Elam is my guy, but Vaccaro looks SPECIAL to me. I would not oppose the Ravens drafting him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    If you go back and watch Texas vs. WVU Tavon Austin was completely destroying the Longhorns until they moved Vaccaro into the slot to pretty much cover him 1 on 1. And Vaccaro actually hung with him better than any other DB they had. That's outrageous because Vaccaro is a solid 6'1 215 and built like a friggin truck, yet he hung with one of the shiftiest and quickest players anybody's ever seen.

Matt Elam is my guy, but Vaccaro looks SPECIAL to me. I would not oppose the Ravens drafting him at all.
    If Tavon Austin fell into the Ravens' lap, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, either. He would be a quick, fast nightmare for defenses from the slot, and as much as many don't want to think about the possibilities of cap casualties, he could end up being cheap option as punt/kick returner as well. Not necessarily the ideal early pick, but it would strengthen the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    If Tavon Austin fell into the Ravens' lap, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, either. He would be a quick, fast nightmare for defenses from the slot, and as much as many don't want to think about the possibilities of cap casualties, he could end up being cheap option as punt/kick returner as well. Not necessarily the ideal early pick, but it would strengthen the Ravens.
    I love Austin...a ton...and it would be awesome for a hometown kid to blow up here.

But any WR other than Keenan Allen in the first would be a big mistake IMHO.

If we look for a short, fast slot guy, I really like Marquise Goodwin out of Texas in the mid rounds.

Back to the safety discussion, one guy that I really liked early on that not many are talking about is Baccari Rambo. Opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I really like this thread, because lots of you follow the college game much more closely than I can (working 70 hrs/wk and every Sat is a drawback).

However, why the focus on WR? Surely (don't call me Shirley) we have much greater needs at NT/DT, LT, ILB, OL depth, pass rusher, S, etc ad nauseum.

I'd love to see you guys focus a bit on who we could get when we pick to fill some of those needs. Thanks for all the great info!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    I really like this thread, because lots of you follow the college game much more closely than I can (working 70 hrs/wk and every Sat is a drawback).

However, why the focus on WR? Surely (don't call me Shirley) we have much greater needs at NT/DT, LT, ILB, OL depth, pass rusher, S, etc ad nauseum.

I'd love to see you guys focus a bit on who we could get when we pick to fill some of those needs. Thanks for all the great info!
    I don't think the Ravens would go for a receiver early on in the draft, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them looking at a receiving TE or a receiver in the mid-to-late rounds.

Boldin is going to be 33 and may wind up as a cap casualty (hope this doesn't happen).
    Jacoby is due for a $4 mill cap hit and may wind up as a cap casualty.
    Doss has shown some flashes of being a solid contributor, but has also made some errors (2 dropped would-be TD passes against the Colts for example).
    D. Thompson has a lot of upside, but is raw.
    D. Reed can't stay healthy and might not be tendered after this season.
    LaQuan has shown flashes of being a solid possession guy, but he has a low ceiling.
    Tommy Streeter is talented and athletic for a 6'5" 220lb guy, but he sucks at running routes. Who knows where he'll wind up.

So, other than Torrey, the only legitimate starters we have on the books are Jacoby and Boldin. Both of which could just as easily wind up not on the team due to $$$.

When looking at things from that perspective, it makes sense to check out some receivers in the mid to late rounds (and there are some nice prospects too). This is actually a pretty good year for receivers.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    why the focus on WR? Surely (don't call me Shirley) we have much greater needs at NT/DT, LT, ILB, OL depth, pass rusher, S, etc ad nauseum
    The Ravens do have a lot of needs, but they also have 11 draft picks (7 rounds, plus 4 compensatory). That gives them a lot of opportunities to draft a lot of players. They are going to need another WR who can contribute, because the likelihood of either Anquan Boldin or Jacoby Jones (or both) being cap casualties is pretty good. They just can't pay everyone, so they are going to have to rely on the draft. I'm just not sure Tandon Doss, Tommy Streeter, Laquan Williams or David Reed are going to do it for the offense. Flacco needs more weapons than just Torrey Smith and Dennis Pitta. The Ravens are going to have to target a WR at some point - or get a cheap one via free agency - if they can't get Jones or Boldin on the cheap.

Am I the only one that things the Ravens are going to try and work something out to keep Boldin? Of course on a restructured deal, but when our offence plays consistently and with the routes that have been played lately he is the PERFECT compliment to Torrey (Note the first Smith TD vs Denver, Bolding on the corssing route forced the safety up). I don't know I would LOVE to see him here another year, yes he's old, but we have more dire needs at OT, MLB and S before WR. I'd even go as far to say DL is higher than WR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I love Austin...a ton...and it would be awesome for a hometown kid to blow up here.

But any WR other than Keenan Allen in the first would be a big mistake IMHO.

If we look for a short, fast slot guy, I really like Marquise Goodwin out of Texas in the mid rounds.

Back to the safety discussion, one guy that I really liked early on that not many are talking about is Baccari Rambo. Opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    IMO, Baccari Rambo is the closest thing to an Ed Reed ball hawk type safety, I like him too, but he has character concerns. I wouldn't mind Rambo in the first or second row.

Blog Entries

Not sure what the cost would be, but there are going to be some decent FA options for safety...

Dashon Goldson, Jairus Byrd, and maybe Louis Delmas.

All are solid/decent free safeties and probably won't command a ton of money.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Not sure what the cost would be, but there are going to be some decent FA options for safety...

The Bills are probably going to make Jairus Byrd the highest paid safety in football. He's been a top 3 or top 5 safety in the league since his rookie year and he's only like 26.

Dashon Goldson... I'm not sure about. I personally don't think he's worth a top-tier contract, but some team is going to throw a good bit of money at him. I doubt the Ravens can keep up.

Louis Delmas is a good player, but he's even more of an injury risk than Kenny Phillips, and Phillips is the superior player. I'd be happy with either of those guys, though. Safety is IMO the Ravens' #1 offseason priority. Unless they re-sign Ed Reed, which I don't see happening, they literally don't have anybody with NFL experience at the position. That's not true for any of the other holes on the roster... even at OL and ILB, at least they have guys with NFL experience who could step in if all else fails.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I don't think we are going to have any money to pay any of those guys.

Any additions we make are likely to be cheap vets.

We are going to struggle just to re-sign Ellerbe and Kruger.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.