Page 101 of 333 FirstFirst ... 99100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,212 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Federick can easily play guard in the NFL, after all that was his natural position before his junior year. If he's on the board at the end of the 2nd round, he may be the BPA, and his verssatility will attract Ozzie to take a look at him. I think drafting a center/guard is in the 2nd round is not as far fetched as you seem to think. Oher is a FA in 2014, that may mean KO will have to move to RT, which leaves a void at guard, also none of us are sure if Gino is ready to start in the NFL week in week out. He looked "decent" against Cincy, but that's just one game, and I seen that he got pushed around a few times in that game anyway.

Travs Federick just fits the mold of an AFC North center (6'4 330 lbs) if he's on the board, he would likely fortify our Oline in the middle with Yanda and KO, good luck trying to stop runs up the middle against that sheer size and power.

I think it's more likely we go after a WR in the 2nd round if we do go offense, but I wouldn't mind Federick at ALL.
    Oh dear...

I love Matt Elam and I'd take him in a heartbeat, but how does he compare to Kenny v.

I haven't seen enough of him to comment. But what I've heard is hes a better coverage guy than Elam, has the skills to match up on tight ends and wide receivers. Has done it a not in college.

And while maybe not as good a run guy as Elam is, he's still solid in that department.

Is Elam more a pollard, ss type, while Kenny a free safety with coverage being his main asset?

3. Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

I think pass rush again becomes a big need if Kruger leaves. My hope is that we somehow find a way to keep him and Ellerbe. I don't think Kruger's worth 9 mil and hopefully other teams see it that way too, but at the same time he is getting better and better. He'll be 27 next season, I'd love to have him back. It'd be nice to know that for once we wouldn't need a DE/OLB. Now as far as a 34 end, we could use one and a NT. However finding a way to lock up those two guys would be HUGE. We could focus on adding another ILB, a S, and additional help on the DL.

Blog Entries

Couple players id be interested in would be Oday Aboushi if he really does end up late 2nd early 3rd. I think hed be a steal that late.

also seems theres 3 WRs from Tennessee that would seem to be a fit. One coming off injury, one coming off suspension and one with only one year against top competition. All 3 look like valuable options on day 2. Although id sooner see what we have next year and maybe just resign Boldin for a more cap friendly number and retain Jones, with doss, thompson and streeter stepping up. not sure where/how williams fits in, he didnt seem to be much a part of the team this year.

Kwame Geathers if he comes out seems to be a big space eating NT that we could certainly use if Kemo isnt retained.

Jordan Hill I think could be a good player on the next level. Similar to McPhee with a little more bulk.

Im not sure if Gerald Hodges played inside at all but i could envision him being an inside LB in the pros and playing similar to Ellerbe, using his speed to cover/pass rush. Seems to be a very sound LB regardless.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Oh dear...
    ??????????

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    I love Matt Elam and I'd take him in a heartbeat, but how does he compare to Kenny v.

I haven't seen enough of him to comment. But what I've heard is hes a better coverage guy than Elam, has the skills to match up on tight ends and wide receivers. Has done it a not in college.

And while maybe not as good a run guy as Elam is, he's still solid in that department.

Is Elam more a pollard, ss type, while Kenny a free safety with coverage being his main asset?
    Well, it's interesting because they are two very different players. I don't agree that they break down as simply as Elam being a prototype SS and Vaccaro being a prototype FS. They have very different styles of play and were used in different ways. Honestly, both Florida and Texas don't really use SS/FS alignments and that distinction is kind of going away in the NFL as well. It's really becoming more just 2 interchangeable safeties, even if one of them plays more centerfielder/single high than the other at times.

Elam played a lot of zone and over the top coverage. They didn't drop him down into the box all that much at Florida from what I saw although they did align him in man coverage in the slot from time to time. The thing that stands out about Elam is his instincts even while playing deep. He shoots down to stop the run and make tackles on the short pass like a missile. To me his best assets are his play recognition, physicality, and instincts. He would be a good centerfielder because of those traits as well as his ballhawking ability which is underrated.

Vaccaro lined up a LOT more in the box and in man coverage. I still wouldn't call him a strong safety even despite playing so much in the box. From the tape I have watched they didn't line up in single high all that much, but I still think Vaccaro can do it. To me, Vaccaro is a VERY underrated and extremely fluid athlete. His athleticism lets him man up on WRs as well as cover well over the top. I don't see the same instincts and play recognition as Elam.

Honestly I love both of them as prospects. You don't come away from either of them unimpressed at all in any element of their game. I think either one would be a good fit. Vaccaro seems to be higher rated on most boards, but I don't think you go wrong with either.

To add a 3rd name in the mix... he's not rated anywhere near as highly as those 2 guys, but Phillip Thomas out of Fresno State is a really impressive player. They also aligned him in a lot of different looks... both single high and down in the box. Honestly when you watch him, he is really Troy Polamalu-esque in his ability to just explode and make plays everywhere. He's a fantastic 2nd round prospect if the Ravens go in a different direction in the 1st.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Well, it's interesting because they are two very different players. I don't agree that they break down as simply as Elam being a prototype SS and Vaccaro being a prototype FS. They have very different styles of play and were used in different ways. Honestly, both Florida and Texas don't really use SS/FS alignments and that distinction is kind of going away in the NFL as well. It's really becoming more just 2 interchangeable safeties, even if one of them plays more centerfielder/single high than the other at times.

Elam played a lot of zone and over the top coverage. They didn't drop him down into the box all that much at Florida from what I saw although they did align him in man coverage in the slot from time to time. The thing that stands out about Elam is his instincts even while playing deep. He shoots down to stop the run and make tackles on the short pass like a missile. To me his best assets are his play recognition, physicality, and instincts. He would be a good centerfielder because of those traits as well as his ballhawking ability which is underrated.

Vaccaro lined up a LOT more in the box and in man coverage. I still wouldn't call him a strong safety even despite playing so much in the box. From the tape I have watched they didn't line up in single high all that much, but I still think Vaccaro can do it. To me, Vaccaro is a VERY underrated and extremely fluid athlete. His athleticism lets him man up on WRs as well as cover well over the top. I don't see the same instincts and play recognition as Elam.

Honestly I love both of them as prospects. You don't come away from either of them unimpressed at all in any element of their game. I think either one would be a good fit. Vaccaro seems to be higher rated on most boards, but I don't think you go wrong with either.

To add a 3rd name in the mix... he's not rated anywhere near as highly as those 2 guys, but Phillip Thomas out of Fresno State is a really impressive player. They also aligned him in a lot of different looks... both single high and down in the box. Honestly when you watch him, he is really Troy Polamalu-esque in his ability to just explode and make plays everywhere. He's a fantastic 2nd round prospect if the Ravens go in a different direction in the 1st.
    That is kind of what I have seen of Elam and why I would probably grade him as a better FS than an in-the-box SS.

I mean, we all want the safeties to be able to hit and tackle, but with Reed likely not being retained next year this team REALLY needs someone who can play center field.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Notre Dame RB, Cierre Wood (6' 212lbs) declared for the draft.

Virginia Tech QB, Logan Thomas (6'6" 240lbs) is thought to be leaning towards declaring.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Logan Thomas declaring would be a huge mistake.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

El Oh El at Logan Thomas' QB skill set
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

i wa lead to believe vaccaro was the better coverage player and I was beginning to wonder why he isn't talked about as one the best players in the class if that was the case because I knew how good Elam was. Elam is a complete safety IMO.

My only think about him is he can be reckless at times with his tackling, I could see a lot of personal fouls for hits on defencless receivers.

But obviously of that's his only negative ill take it

FWIW, Daniel Jeremiah really likes Vaccaro and compares him to Donte Whitner.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.