Page 15 of 333 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I no anybody else in this thread I think are bashing the FO and calling for Ozzie's head.

But you can't help but look at this team, see all the holes in the roster, and not look back at that draft and notice all the talent that came into the league that year and we really didn't get much out of it.
    We performed highway robbery that year. A lot of analysts were saying that it was one of the best drafts in NFL history from a value standpoint. The way we maneuvered was crazy that draft. The Ravens essentially got Boldin, Cody, Kindle, Pitta, and Dickson all within the first four rounds of the draft.

Kindle providing no single entity of value to the Ravens in three whole years ruins this draft from a retrospective standpoint. However, at the time, it was a total steal to get a guy that talented in the 2nd round. Kindle was listed as a surefire top 15 pick all draft long. I'm not sure how much you can really pin his flop on the front office.

Cody and Dickson have both been disappointments to varying degrees, which only worsens it. Cody version 2011 seemed to be a player coming into this own and seemed to show at least a reasonable value for a 2nd rounder. However, this year, I've nicknamed him "bugzapper" because soon as he meets with contact, he falls on the ground like a dead fly. At the time, though, it was viewed as a great value to get him in the late 2nd round, because he was mocked in that 25-30 range fairly universally heading into draft day.

Dickson would be labeled as a mild disappointment in my book. He's had some good moments and has excellent get-down-the-field explosiveness for a TE. However, his hands are still a bit unreliable and his blocking is pitiful. Pitta's emergence as a very solid TE makes the Dickson pick a little more forgiveable. Again, this is a guy coming out of the Pac 10 that a lot of people saw as a safer pick than the injury-risk Gronkowski.

If you look at Jimmy Smith, Cody, Kindle, and even Upshaw this year, the common denominator is that our FO drafted a player who had slipped to a certain point in the draft. It seemed like a great idea to take these sliding players, but perhaps we need to re-evaluate that strategy heading forward.

Slow day at work so I watched Brian Winters (LT from Kent State). Notes are at work but I think he's 6'5 315?
    Good drive with his run blocking. Slight mauler. Choppy steps on his pass blocking. Kept his QB clean but wasn't particularly dominate about it. Team captain.

Looks like he'd be a good G. The G board is stacked though, so I'll tag him with mid 3rd round value.

Also, watched Travis Frederick from Wisconsin. Jr Center. Excellent driver, blocks through whistle. Quickly gets to 2nd level when designed, and often gets at least a piece of somebody. Saw a few pancakes/takedowns. Pulls quickly and cleanly...but didn't really cream his man once he got there. Might not come out. I read he got owned vs. Penn State so I need to find that tape before I place value
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensghost View Post
    Would you guys trade a 1st second and third for Manti Te'o? If given the chance?
    No.

I think the only guys I would really consider giving up that many picks would be Luke Joeckel, Star Lotulelei, and maybe Damontre Moore.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Slow day at work so I watched Brian Winters (LT from Kent State). Notes are at work but I think he's 6'5 315?
    Good drive with his run blocking. Slight mauler. Choppy steps on his pass blocking. Kept his QB clean but wasn't particularly dominate about it. Team captain.

Looks like he'd be a good G. The G board is stacked though, so I'll tag him with mid 3rd round value.

Also, watched Travis Frederick from Wisconsin. Jr Center. Excellent driver, blocks through whistle. Quickly gets to 2nd level when designed, and often gets at least a piece of somebody. Saw a few pancakes/takedowns. Pulls quickly and cleanly...but didn't really cream his man once he got there. Might not come out. I read he got owned vs. Penn State so I need to find that tape before I place value
    Yea, Kent State and Northern Illinois both have some pretty underrated prospects.

I didn't think that Winters was that heavy...I thought he was in the high 290's, but he is a nice player. Nice upside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    This Clady talk is insane. The Broncos didn't just spend a fortune on Manning to let him get beat up by letting his best o-lineman go. They'll either come to a deal or franchise him. There is no way that Clady hits the free agent market.
    Clady feels disrespected GOTA. He's been with the team for years, but couldn't get paid before now, even though he's surpassed expectations? Yet, Manning shows up and gets the money? Why do that when you can come to an organization that would show you the appreciation that you deserve, and the money. He'd be the only major FA acquisition necessary.

Clady, Osemele, Gradkowski, Yanda, Oher.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Clady feels disrespected GOTA. He's been with the team for years, but couldn't get paid before now, even though he's surpassed expectations? Yet, Manning shows up and gets the money? Why do that when you can come to an organization that would show you the appreciation that you deserve, and the money. He'd be the only major FA acquisition necessary.

what money exactly? He turned down 60 mil over 6 years iirc. No way we can offer more than that without no signing flacco.

If we look at any left tackle it will be Brandon Albert of kc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    what money exactly? He turned down 60 mil over 6 years iirc. No way we can offer more than that without no signing flacco.

If we look at any left tackle it will be Brandon Albert of kc.
    Brandon Albert is just as good as Clady IMO, and an insanely good blocker, I doubt we could offer anything close to what other teams will offer Albert in the offseason (unless KC franchise or resign him).

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Brandon Albert is just as good as Clady IMO, and an insanely good blocker, I doubt we could offer anything close to what other teams will offer Albert in the offseason (unless KC franchise or resign him).
    I was looking at Albert yesterday. We'll see what KC does. They have to deal with Bowe, and they have the luxury of another good OT already on board (Winston) for $22M. Does a team that bad, spend $$$$ on two spots? What's better for a future franchise QB? Two stud tackles + a sub-par receiving corps or One stud tackle + a stud WR.

Whichever way, Albert is an LT, so even at age 28, he'll be expensive.

Blog Entries

Isn't Jake Long up too?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Isn't Jake Long up too?
    Yup. Bad performance year for him. "Hidden" injury? Maybe he just wants out? With his body of work, he'll be at or above Clady's offer. Although looking at his PFF.com numbers, not only is he having a really bad game here-or-there, his good games in 2011 and 2012 are about 50% less of his good games in 2009 and 2010. Maybe breaking down already?

Also, back to KC...their C/G Ryan Lilja is up too. 31 yo so might not get a huge deal from KC, but then again, it shouldn't take much for anyone else to take him away from there either.
    No sacks, 3 hits and 6 hurries year-to-date. Got $2.1M this year; final year of a 3 year $7.5M deal.
    Just thinking about a insurance policy on Gino not being ready (only the FO knows).
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 12-13-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Blog Entries

There is zero chance that A) The Broncos let Clady walk (he'll get franchised first), and B) the Ravens will be able to afford him.

If Clady hits the open market, he could very easily become the highest paid LT in the league. He's still young and very accomplished. Frankly, I think he'll stick it out with Denver. They've got a good thing going right now. What issues they had earlier this year may be cured by winning.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Brandon Albert is very underrated.

I still don't think we'd be able to afford him. I also cannot see a way the Chiefs don't re-sign him. They'll let Dwayne Bowe walk before letting Albert walk.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver
    I was looking at Albert yesterday. We'll see what KC does. They have to deal with Bowe, and they have the luxury of another good OT already on board (Winston) for $22M. Does a team that bad, spend $$$$ on two spots? What's better for a future franchise QB? Two stud tackles + a sub-par receiving corps or One stud tackle + a stud WR.

Whichever way, Albert is an LT, so even at age 28, he'll be expensive.
    This is a very black-and-white situation, IMO. Brandon Albert has consistently gotten better, is durable, and is a team player. Dwayne Bowe is inconsistent, has injury issues, and seems like he really isn't interested in sticking in KC anyway. Their future franchise QB is going to be Geno Smith. There is likely 0% chance that the Chiefs are not running to the podium with Smith's name in hand. Considering that, there are also a lot of really solid WR prospects in this draft that they can go get. They have a solid receiving TE (that they never use) in Tony Moeaki and they could easily go out and sign someone like Kevin Ogletree or Danny Amendola without breaking the bank. Or, if they can afford Albert AND a receiver, why pay for Dwayne Bowe when they could just as easily target Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings?