Page 122 of 333 FirstFirst ... 120121122123124 ... LastLast
Results 1,453 to 1,464 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    after reading what he wrote about Aboushi, I have to take anything else he said with a grain of salt. He got beat consistently in drills and unless the goal was letting the passrusher by him I cant see how he didnt make any mistakes.
    The only opinion I trust flat out is Mayock's...which doesn't mean he's never wrong. IMO he just does the best job at explaning himself and putting skill-sets into context.

Everyone else gets weighed and balanced vs. everyone else.

Blog Entries

I have a couple of friends who go to the Senior Bowl every year (I went with them a few years), so I'll post up some of the things that they've told me.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

From what I've read and seen so far...

- Eric Fisher is borderline top 10...silly of me/us to think we had a shot at him
    - Ziggy Ansah is a good looking athlete, but not a 1st rounder IMO
    - Neither is Margus Hunt a 1st rounder IMO
    - Lane Johnson, Montori Hughes and Brian Winters are making money. I'd be happy with any of them
    - Quinton Patton is even a bit better than I thought
    - Kenjon Barner is a guy that someone might trade-up to #32 to get (haha...had Stepfan Taylor in there originally, as my Stanford-grad office buddy had just walked away gushing over him)
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 01-23-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    From what I've read and seen so far...

- Eric Fisher is borderline top 10...silly of me/us to think we had a shot at him
    - Ziggy Ansah is a good looking athlete, but not a 1st rounder IMO
    - Neither is Margus Hunt a 1st rounder IMO
    - Lane Johnson, Montori Hughes and Brian Winters are making money. I'd be happy with any of them
    - Quinton Patton is even a bit better than I thought
    - Kenjon Barner is a guy that someone might trade-up to #32 to get (haha...had Stepfan Taylor in there originally, as my Stanford-grad office buddy had just walked away gushing over him)
    I actually think Taylor is the most complete back in this entire class. Even more than Lacy, although Lacy has a much much higher ceiling IMO.

I don't see Barner being a 1st rounder, or even a high 2nd. He's elusive as hell and he's got the wheels, but he's small (190lbs) and in the NFL he is probably better suited as a change-of-pace back.

I can't see Barner going before the top of the 3rd round.

I still think Eddie Lacy is going to be the top back taken.

And someone is going to take Margus Hunt in round 1. You know that someone won't be able to resist his athleticism, size, and strength.

Any Chance Lane Johnson lasts until 32?

LT is basically the top 3 needs for this team, IMO. Our other needs can be "adequately" filled with MIddle round picks. I strongly prefer the first two rounds worth of picks to be used on QB, LT, WR, CB and maybe RB. Since we are "fairly" stocked at all of those positions sans LT, that makes me feel like we NEED TO get out of the 2nd round with a LT hopeful. I was hoping FIsher was the guy, but looks like that's out of reach. From what I've seen and read, Johnson is now my top target. What is his expected value?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Any Chance Lane Johnson lasts until 32?

LT is basically the top 3 needs for this team, IMO. Our other needs can be "adequately" filled with MIddle round picks. I strongly prefer the first two rounds worth of picks to be used on QB, LT, WR, CB and maybe RB. Since we are "fairly" stocked at all of those positions sans LT, that makes me feel like we NEED TO get out of the 2nd round with a LT hopeful. I was hoping FIsher was the guy, but looks like that's out of reach. From what I've seen and read, Johnson is now my top target. What is his expected value?
    No offense but no way in hell.

Lane Johnson has pretty much cemented his place as the 3rd LT and with the way OT's are overvalued, will likely be a top 15 pick...top 20 at the latest.

Frankly, at 32, there won't be a LT worth taking at that spot unfortunately IMHO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    No offense but no way in hell.

Lane Johnson has pretty much cemented his place as the 3rd LT and with the way OT's are overvalued, will likely be a top 15 pick...top 20 at the latest.

Frankly, at 32, there won't be a LT worth taking at that spot unfortunately IMHO.
    NO offense taken, I'm not that plugged-in. I guess that's obvious.

Considering all of our comp picks, I'd certainly get on the phone if he makes it past the mid teens... The early 20's may be reachable without using a future first round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

And someone is going to take Margus Hunt in round 1. You know that someone won't be able to resist his athleticism, size, and strength.
    I was a big Hunt fan a couple weeks ago in the first, but not anymore. I think in time he will be a good player, but he is so raw and over-aged that it would be tough for me to take him that high.

I agree that someone may take him, but I think he would be a guy who you can't count on contributing for 2 years...and by then he will already be 28 or 29.

I'm all on the Elam bandwagon int he first now.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I was a big Hunt fan a couple weeks ago in the first, but not anymore. I think in time he will be a good player, but he is so raw and over-aged that it would be tough for me to take him that high.

I agree that someone may take him, but I think he would be a guy who you can't count on contributing for 2 years...and by then he will already be 28 or 29.

Elam would be a great pick if he lasts until 32.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Elam would be a great pick if he lasts until 32.
    As weird as it sounds, Elam's availability may hinge entirely on whether or not the Ravens win the SB. If they're picking at 32 I don't have a lot of faith Elam would fall past the 49ers. They're probably going to let Goldson walk so they have a huge need at FS, and Elam fits their system and style of play PERFECTLY. That is, if he even falls past the late 20's.

At this point, the odds of the Ravens trading back from 31 or 32 have gone up a lot, IMO. There will be some team that covets a QB and hopes to take him at the top of round 2, but fears another team jumping them, necessitating a move back into the 1st. If Elam isn't there and the remaining prospects on the big board have 2nd round grades, if they can find a partner I don't see the Ravens losing much by jumping back into the top of the 2nd.

The Ravens could make a lot happen in the 2nd round. They have plenty of picks already and trading out of the 1st could land them even more. If I were Ozzie, I would have a contingency plan on the table that involves getting maybe as many as 3 2nd round picks... where a lot of the talent of the draft is. They could easily end up with Phillip Thomas (my #3 safety in the class), Khaseem Greene, and Da'Rick Rogers all in the 2nd... and focus on depth/small school sleepers in the rest of the draft, probably hoping to find a legit LT prospect out of a mid-round type of guy.

Doesnt it seem more likely by the day that even though it's only January 1. Elam will get to 32 2. Will be BPA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    As weird as it sounds, Elam's availability may hinge entirely on whether or not the Ravens win the SB. If they're picking at 32 I don't have a lot of faith Elam would fall past the 49ers. They're probably going to let Goldson walk so they have a huge need at FS, and Elam fits their system and style of play PERFECTLY. That is, if he even falls past the late 20's.

At this point, the odds of the Ravens trading back from 31 or 32 have gone up a lot, IMO. There will be some team that covets a QB and hopes to take him at the top of round 2, but fears another team jumping them, necessitating a move back into the 1st. If Elam isn't there and the remaining prospects on the big board have 2nd round grades, if they can find a partner I don't see the Ravens losing much by jumping back into the top of the 2nd.

The Ravens could make a lot happen in the 2nd round. They have plenty of picks already and trading out of the 1st could land them even more. If I were Ozzie, I would have a contingency plan on the table that involves getting maybe as many as 3 2nd round picks... where a lot of the talent of the draft is. They could easily end up with Phillip Thomas (my #3 safety in the class), Khaseem Greene, and Da'Rick Rogers all in the 2nd... and focus on depth/small school sleepers in the rest of the draft, probably hoping to find a legit LT prospect out of a mid-round type of guy.
    Very true, but how many of us saw the Niners taking AJ Jenkins in the 1st round last year?