Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
I've been saying all along that people are underrating how much of a need free safety is for this team. I really don't see Ed Reed being back--the team's not going to sign him for the kind of money he'll want, and if they try to franchise him I think he would just retire--then maybe try to come back for 2014.
Yup...that hit me a little bit ago, but I didn't get a chance to watch Elam and Reid until yesterday, but in just a few minutes of viewing, it was clear that he was our kind of guy. I had seen Thomas a little bit ago, but he looked to be too much of a freelancer, and often out of position like Ed. So I don't think we pass on Elam at all, but I could see CIN snagging him just ahead of us.

Inside linebacker isn't a big priority at this point presuming they can resign Ellerbe... which I think they can do. Next to him will be either Jameel or Ray (in the unlikely event Ray comes back) and they have Bynes as a quality reserve. They could still use depth at the position but they don't need to use early picks for that.
Our ILB unit is embarrassingly weak, I think Ellerbe is a critical resign. More so than Kruger. I like Kruger a lot more now than I did in September, but if it comes down to choose one, I'd say Ellerbee

At DE/DT, Ngata isn't going anywhere and should be better next year. Art Jones is probably only going to get better, McPhee is starting to come all the way back, and Bryan Hall and DeAngelo Tyson are showing flashes. If they can get an elite pass-rushing DE/DT then sure go for it, but the only REAL need on the DL is NT and they can upgrade that position on the cheap.
Not fixing the NT position pretty much negates anything that we do with the ILBs. If we have the cap and the FO decides not to pursue an LT then I would expect we'd pursue an NT instead.