Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
Don't get why everyone thinks WR is such a big need. We have one of the best WR corps in the league, if anything we need a TE to compliment Pitta. WR is such a glamorous position, everyone always wants one year in year out, but the truth is we have much more pressing needs than WR when you have Boldin, Smith, and Jacoby. The only way I see WR being a big need is if Boldin is a cap casualty (and going by his play off performance, there is no way the FO are going to cut him unless it comes to last resort cap space, Jacoby likely wont be cut either, infact I expect him to be extended if anything).

Safety is the biggest need when Reed retires, MLB comes a close second, and a nose tackle is a big need too. LT is a need, but if McKinnie is extended on another 1/2 year deal, we can buy some more time to find his long term replacement, or use a later pick on a developmental player, like a Ricky Wagner or a Xavier Nixon. TE is an underrated need, we arguably could do with two TE's, one who can block really well, and another athletic miss match.
Because you don't draft purely on need and end up reaching for a player. In reality, there are no inside linebackers worth drafting in the 2nd and 3rd rounds unless Minter falls, so it may just be that the Ravens have to be creative in their selections. It's never a bad thing to add a weapon, and the Ravens could use another WR. Jacoby Jones and Anquan Boldin take up $12M in cap space, so they either should be restructured or it seems that at least one is going to be a cap casualty. I think Boldin is the key and has a few years left in him. Jacoby Jones (in spite of his Denver catch), really isn't a big part of the offense). If the Ravens could end up with a Julio Jones or AJ Green type of receiver, it would really put pressure on the defenses, but even a cheaper version/slight upgrade of Jones may be the only way to fit things under the cap.

A WR may not be a huge need, but it might be the best use of a draft pick when the time comes. To me, the WR situation is the same as the TE situation; the Ravens have enough there to compete, but certainly could use an upgrade. And the need for safety is not as dire as some fans think, either. There are safeties in the draft not named Matt Elam who can play ball. No one is going to replace Reed, so the Ravens shouldn't try to find someone who does and panic. And they won't. A mid-round thumper like DJ Swearinger might be good enough without overreaching. Pollard isn't the only guy on the roster, so it's not like the Ravens have nobody.