Page 97 of 333 FirstFirst ... 9596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,153 to 1,164 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'm putting enormous value on speed and I will "sacrifice" size.
    That's the way the game is headed with the new breed of quarterbacks and the passing (& contact) rules of the new NFL. It's all about speed, and the Ravens need to draft that way on both offense and defense.

The first 3-4 picks should all be for the front 7 and a LT.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Couldnt agree more, i'd put FS in that mix as well. We need an impact NT/DT who can play heavy snaps, a starter at ILB, a starter at LT and a starter at FS

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    That depends on what happens in free agency. As everyone saw yesterday, speed on offense kills defenses, and the Ravens need another impact receiver with wheels who can step in and contribute immediately, especially if Boldin is unaffordable.

Blog Entries

Or we could re-sign Bryant McKinnie for another year, and just completely focus on the front 7...

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I think the Ravens can move around in the draft and get Da'Rick Rogers in the 2nd round. The guy is big, fast and fearless across the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Do you think we'll be okay with his recent character history? Not being rhetorical here...I just don't think we'll go for a cat like him.
    I understood what you and others are saying with respect to "why would the Ravens take a shot on a 'character' guy after they've missed with Sergio Kindle and Jimmy Smith," but that's outcome bias. Each situation has to be evaluated on its own merits.

Kindle's brain injury was a freak thing, whether it was because he was drunk or purely an accident you can't make a future decision based on that decision not working out. Jimmy Smith has been perfectly clean off the field as far as we know--that decision looks like it won't pan out not because of his character but because of his play on the field.

I don't see those concerns with Da'Rick Rogers. His background check has to come through clean, he has to interview well, and he has to overcome the presumption that he's got problems. But if he does that I would have no problem with spending a 2nd round pick on him. In terms of his actual football ability I have him graded as my #1 receiver in the class although not necessarily my favorite receiver. If he pans out to his upside I think he has Julio Jones type potential.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Or we could re-sign Bryant McKinnie for another year, and just completely focus on the front 7...
    Bryant has played himself onto this team next year IF the financials work out and IF the coaching staff feels confident he can continue to play at this level.

Those are big IFs, but McKinnie's play over the last 2 games can't be underrated. He has been unbelievable.

Blog Entries
    McKinnie has played really well...but are the cosches really going to want to deal with him again this off season? Also, how do we know he isnt just playing hard now for a new contract that maybe the Ravens wont be able to give him?

There are a lot of questions going into this off-season. I still think Ellerbe and Kruger are the top priorities after Flacco.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    McKinnie has played really well...but are the cosches really going to want to deal with him again this off season? Also, how do we know he isnt just playing hard now for a new contract that maybe the Ravens wont be able to give him?

There are a lot of questions going into this off-season. I still think Ellerbe and Kruger are the top priorities after Flacco.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    I get what you're saying, but the team is going to the AFCCG because of McKinnie. Seriously... I'm not sure you can credit any player more than him. We already knew Flacco was great when he had time to see the field, set his feet, and throw on rhythm. We already knew our receivers could make clutch catches and that our DBs could make plays.

The BIGGEST thing that held this team back was offensive line play... and by FAR the biggest element of that was Michael Oher's complete futility at LT. But McKinnie has COMPLETELY changed that; he's now shut out Dwight Freeney and Elvis Dumervil in consecutive weeks. Michael Oher could never dream of that, but now he gets to play at RT where his terrible play is more easily mitigated.

I understand McKinnie is a problematic guy and the team probably would rather NOT deal with him next year, but where's the better option? I think they ought to draft a tackle, yeah, but the likelihood of that player being an upgrade over Big Mac in 2013 is very slim. I'm not saying they should throw a ton of money or a ton of years at him, but if they can re-sign him at a reasonable rate why the hell not?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I get what you're saying, but the team is going to the AFCCG because of McKinnie. Seriously... I'm not sure you can credit any player more than him. We already knew Flacco was great when he had time to see the field, set his feet, and throw on rhythm. We already knew our receivers could make clutch catches and that our DBs could make plays.

The BIGGEST thing that held this team back was offensive line play... and by FAR the biggest element of that was Michael Oher's complete futility at LT. But McKinnie has COMPLETELY changed that; he's now shut out Dwight Freeney and Elvis Dumervil in consecutive weeks. Michael Oher could never dream of that, but now he gets to play at RT where his terrible play is more easily mitigated.

I understand McKinnie is a problematic guy and the team probably would rather NOT deal with him next year, but where's the better option? I think they ought to draft a tackle, yeah, but the likelihood of that player being an upgrade over Big Mac in 2013 is very slim. I'm not saying they should throw a ton of money or a ton of years at him, but if they can re-sign him at a reasonable rate why the hell not?
    Because maybe then McKinnie goes back to eating himself out of house and home?

I don't disagree with you that McKinnie's play was fantastic.

I just also know that sometimes it is hard for a zebra to change their stripes. He's playing great now...but he also knows that there are several teams (including Baltimore) that will need a starting caliber LT.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Goal number one has to be get Flacco, Ellerbe and Kruger under contract. Looking at the numbers i think it's doable with some releases and restructures. If they could get Mckinnie back at a number that works for both sides then maybe they dont have to take a LT later that doesnt have to play right away. However like wicked said, there is some risks involved with that and the FO has to be comfortable with Mckinnie when he's not around to do what he needs to. Outside of him letting his conditioning become a issue i see no reason why he couldnt play a solid LT another 2 years. Im not sure how likely it is but how amazing would it be to sure up the QB, LT, Mike backer and pass rusher before we even get to the draft!? Oz and Co. could really be aggressive in that draft under this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Because maybe then McKinnie goes back to eating himself out of house and home?

I don't disagree with you that McKinnie's play was fantastic.

I just also know that sometimes it is hard for a zebra to change their stripes. He's playing great now...but he also knows that there are several teams (including Baltimore) that will need a starting caliber LT.
    Well, let me put it this way. It's "right player, right price" as it ALWAYS is for Ozzie Newsome. I'm certainly not suggesting the Ravens overpay for him... even if he continues his great play through a Super Bowl win, you're only talking about 4 games worth of good tape. But the team can easily protect themselves by offering him a modest incentive-laden contract and telling him "take it or leave it." If he wants to walk and check out his market I don't know how good of a case McKinnie could make to teams OTHER than the Ravens that he's their solution at left tackle.

How many teams are really just an LT away from a Super Bowl? Remember, McKinnie will be 34 years old in September 2013, he's not anybody's long-term answer at LT. I think his value (both in terms of his contribution to the team and the size of his contract) is higher to the Ravens than to anybody else. He would find that out very quickly if he gauged his worth on the open market.

I really don't see how McKinnie's value is going to be any higher than the 2 year, 7.5m deal w/incentives he signed in August 2011. He's 2 years older and hasn't proven anything more since then. That's a perfectly reasonable deal for the Ravens to take and try to go and make another run in 2013 while they develop whoever their long-term starter is at LT.