Page 54 of 333 FirstFirst ... 5253545556 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Mike Wallace has likely played his last down as a Steeler. Probably will get decent $ from some team.

He would be kind of redundant to Torrey. Though it would be interesting to see how teams would cover two speedsters. After seeing him some this season I question his heart. He looks like he quit in quite a few games. Plus the Steeler fans for the most part don't want him back it seems.

I think Dwayne Bowe would fit us nice, but doubt we will go after him.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Mike Wallace has likely played his last down as a Steeler. Probably will get decent $ from some team.

He would be kind of redundant to Torrey. Though it would be interesting to see how teams would cover two speedsters. After seeing him some this season I question his heart. He looks like he quit in quite a few games. Plus the Steeler fans for the most part don't want him back it seems.

We say it every year, but this year I really think is the year we concentrate on developing our own guys. Even if we let Boldin and/or Jacoby Jones go, Doss has shown major flashes this year and looks like our next Boldin. Deonte Thompson has shown some flashes and Tommy Streeter has a ton of upside. I would also certainly expect the Ravens to prioritize WR in the draft if they lose guys.

Wallace and Bowe are both overpriced and overrated. Not interested in either of them at all.

Oh i forgot to tell you Wicked, your boy Datone Jones looks like a really good 5 tech prospect, Marsh looked quicker then i would have expected as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    We say it every year, but this year I really think is the year we concentrate on developing our own guys. Even if we let Boldin and/or Jacoby Jones go, Doss has shown major flashes this year and looks like our next Boldin. Deonte Thompson has shown some flashes and Tommy Streeter has a ton of upside. I would also certainly expect the Ravens to prioritize WR in the draft if they lose guys.

Wallace and Bowe are both overpriced and overrated. Not interested in either of them at all.
    I think we should let Boldin Go and have Doss fill his spot, but I think we should extend Jacoby... I like his promise on offense, but he has been an absolute STUD on returns, and I don't think that is somethign we can do without.

I think it's worth noting that when we took Torrey in the 2011 2nd round (#58 overall - 5th WR taken), Harbs and Ozzie pretty much said the same thing...(paraphrasing), "we were surprised that he landed in our lap, but we knew we had to take him."

So they probably had 1st round or upper 2nd round value on him.
    We know KC took Baldwin at #25.
    At 43, MIN passed on a burner and went TE.
    At 44, DET went with Titus Young over Torrey...a more natural slot guy inside of Mega and Burleson. Young was the top WR on my board FWIW.
    At 47, STL also decided to pass on a burner (to help Bradford) and went TE too.
    CLE was at 59 (one slot behind us), but either they didn't want to or couldn't trade up for Torrey, and took Greg Little instead.

Accounting for the "good, but not great, big bodied" WRs out there (Allen, Hunter, etc.) plus the Combine-heroes, I can clearly see Studman staying on the board until late into the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

You know, I completely disregarded the fact that at least two teams with [theoretical high] WR needs are going to be filling them with Wallace and Bowe. PIT can't pay another WR with its aging defense, but KC just might pay Bowe (which would be great b/c LT Albert would only have to escape the tag in order to hit the market).

So that most likely takes one team, and maybe two out of the "we need to draft a game changing WR" mix for the Draft. So any perceived game changing WRs will stay on the Board longer...effectively pushing Studman down the board even more.

Another x-factor...you can argue that STL at #30, DET at #54, and the other 3 teams in between that took a late 1st or early-to-mid 2nd WR in 2012--got burned, but even if they don't think that they did, do they come back in 2013 and take another WR? Probably not. Good for the Studman and General Patton fans among us.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 12-28-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

BPR I hate you! Lol you have me in love with bailey. A thought just hit me tho. It is very possible that Austin goes in round 1. Couldn't it be very possible that the team that drafts geno smith reaches for bailey in the 2nd much like the colts did with luck and his tight end? The only hope we have is if Austin is there in round 2, I would still much rather have bailey as he is the more all round receiver . Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    BPR I hate you! Lol you have me in love with bailey. A thought just hit me tho. It is very possible that Austin goes in round 1. Couldn't it be very possible that the team that drafts geno smith reaches for bailey in the 2nd much like the colts did with luck and his tight end? The only hope we have is if Austin is there in round 2, I would still much rather have bailey as he is the more all round receiver . Just a thought.
    I was actually thinking about that as well. I believe the Chiefs will take Geno Smith #1 overall as I think he'll be fantastic through the pre-draft process. I would then think that if Bailey is around for the first pick in the 3rd, KC certainly could grab him at that point. Teams love to surround a rookie QB with comfortable weapons, and Bailey and Smith have been playing together since high school. They would be a natural pair at the NFL level and KC has a need at WR if they let Dwayne Bowe walk, which most believe they will.

Could/should Bailey go in the 2nd round? Well, the draft committee told him he'd be a 3rd round pick and most scouting services have him in that range. The pre-draft process will really dictate if he's able to creep up into the 2nd. If he has a great Combine, great Pro Day, etc. then it might be possible. I don't know if he'd be the Ravens' BPA at that point.. depends on who's on the board. I like him enough as a prospect to do it, though.

It's kind of funny, because looking back at some things Mark Clayton was also listed at 5'10 193 coming out of Oklahoma, exactly the same as Bailey, and they really were quite similar prospects. Both of them were guys who had very polished route running and quickness out of their breaks, but not elite long speed. Both were top playmakers in the short passing game who put up big time YAC with toughness, both played bigger than their listed size, and both were also credible deep threats and red zone targets for a Heisman Trophy-favorite QB. Both were Biletnikoff Award finalists who played in extremely receiver-friendly offenses in pass-happy conferences.

Clayton wasn't a bust per se at the NFL level, but the game was simply a bit too fast for him to be as dominant as he was in college. Does that bode anything for Bailey? They are REALLY surprisingly similar prospects if you go back and re-watch tape. Kind of interesting and neat to look at.

I'm nowhere near a huge Bailey fan as some of you, but there is no way he lasts until our 3rd round pick.

Frankly, there are a couple wideouts I like in this draft, but frankly the team has too many other issues IMHO to take one unless they are going to be a game changing type of guy.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

On the subject of Brandon Albert, he isn't really a known quality in the NFL yet. He's a very good LT and would be three times the upgrade over Oher at LT, but he won't be as expensive as I thought. I looked at Duane Browns contract, and it's around 55 million over 7 years, so I think we could possibly get Albert to sign for 5 years for 40-45 million which is below market price for top tier LT's, but it really depends on how good Albert thinks he is. We could probably just about afford him if Ozzie gets away from his signing ''depth over stars philosophy'', and go into 2013 relying on more of the younger draft picks stepping up with an already young squad that are blooded after this year. If we get Albert to sign, we could re stock this defense in the draft, while possibly drafting a C and a wide out.

We will need to cut a lot of players for this to happen, and probably restructure a deal or two and extend some others, but I think it's just about possible, if the deal is backloaded.

Blog Entries

Still on the Kevin Minter bandwagon

Positives:
    Shows great discipline sticking to his gap assignments
    Surprisingly good in coverage (I also heard he used to play safety like a bunch of other LB's in this class
    Looks to be the biggest hitting LB in this class apart from Manti
    Once he gets his arms around you, it's over
    Has a good frame and perfect weight at 242 lbs
    Looks to be a guy who can drop back into coverage, but also be a north and south defender
    Would compliment Ellerbe in the 3-4 scheme, but looks to be a good fit in a 4-3 too
    Good inside blitzer

Negatives:
    Looks pretty short
    Takes some bad angles at times
    Can be sloppy with his tackling technique, needs to wrap up more effectively
    He is good in coverage, but his foot work dropping back into coverage looks sloppy at times

Because of the nature of the position, I can see him dropping to us in the second, and IMO would be a great value pick. Through the last few years, here are some highlighted second round picks on LB's.

Sean Lee
    Daryl Washington
    Curtis Lofton
    James Laureinitis
    Pat Angerer
    Akeen Ayers
    Bruce Carter
    Novoro Bowman (3rd round pick, but he's so good, I just had to include him)

That's a lot of talent found in the 2nd round, there certainly seems to be a high % of picks on LB's in the 2nd round that work out.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 12-29-2012 at 06:08 AM.