Page 125 of 333 FirstFirst ... 123124125126127 ... LastLast
Results 1,489 to 1,500 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Don't get why everyone thinks WR is such a big need. We have one of the best WR corps in the league, if anything we need a TE to compliment Pitta. WR is such a glamorous position, everyone always wants one year in year out, but the truth is we have much more pressing needs than WR when you have Boldin, Smith, and Jacoby. The only way I see WR being a big need is if Boldin is a cap casualty (and going by his play off performance, there is no way the FO are going to cut him unless it comes to last resort cap space, Jacoby likely wont be cut either, infact I expect him to be extended if anything).

Safety is the biggest need when Reed retires, MLB comes a close second, and a nose tackle is a big need too. LT is a need, but if McKinnie is extended on another 1/2 year deal, we can buy some more time to find his long term replacement, or use a later pick on a developmental player, like a Ricky Wagner or a Xavier Nixon. TE is an underrated need, we arguably could do with two TE's, one who can block really well, and another athletic miss match.
    Because you don't draft purely on need and end up reaching for a player. In reality, there are no inside linebackers worth drafting in the 2nd and 3rd rounds unless Minter falls, so it may just be that the Ravens have to be creative in their selections. It's never a bad thing to add a weapon, and the Ravens could use another WR. Jacoby Jones and Anquan Boldin take up $12M in cap space, so they either should be restructured or it seems that at least one is going to be a cap casualty. I think Boldin is the key and has a few years left in him. Jacoby Jones (in spite of his Denver catch), really isn't a big part of the offense). If the Ravens could end up with a Julio Jones or AJ Green type of receiver, it would really put pressure on the defenses, but even a cheaper version/slight upgrade of Jones may be the only way to fit things under the cap.

A WR may not be a huge need, but it might be the best use of a draft pick when the time comes. To me, the WR situation is the same as the TE situation; the Ravens have enough there to compete, but certainly could use an upgrade. And the need for safety is not as dire as some fans think, either. There are safeties in the draft not named Matt Elam who can play ball. No one is going to replace Reed, so the Ravens shouldn't try to find someone who does and panic. And they won't. A mid-round thumper like DJ Swearinger might be good enough without overreaching. Pollard isn't the only guy on the roster, so it's not like the Ravens have nobody.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Because you don't draft purely on need and end up reaching for a player. In reality, there are no inside linebackers worth drafting in the 2nd and 3rd rounds unless Minter falls, so it may just be that the Ravens have to be creative in their selections. It's never a bad thing to add a weapon, and the Ravens could use another WR. Jacoby Jones and Anquan Boldin take up $12M in cap space, so they either should be restructured or it seems that at least one is going to be a cap casualty. I think Boldin is the key and has a few years left in him. Jacoby Jones (in spite of his Denver catch), really isn't a big part of the offense). If the Ravens could end up with a Julio Jones or AJ Green type of receiver, it would really put pressure on the defenses, but even a cheaper version/slight upgrade of Jones may be the only way to fit things under the cap.

A WR may not be a huge need, but it might be the best use of a draft pick when the time comes. To me, the WR situation is the same as the TE situation; the Ravens have enough there to compete, but certainly could use an upgrade. And the need for safety is not as dire as some fans think, either. There are safeties in the draft not named Matt Elam who can play ball. No one is going to replace Reed, so the Ravens shouldn't try to find someone who does and panic. And they won't. A mid-round thumper like DJ Swearinger might be good enough without overreaching. Pollard isn't the only guy on the roster, so it's not like the Ravens have nobody.
    You're telling me that Kaseen Greene isn't worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

None of us really know where team scouts rank the players anyway. For all we know there could be an ILB that none of us know much about that scouts feel is worth a first round pick. We jsut don't know.
    But IMO there is nobody even close to Julio Jones in this draft.

Don't get why everyone thinks WR is such a big need. We have one of the best WR corps in the league, if anything we need a TE to compliment Pitta. WR is such a glamorous position, everyone always wants one year in year out, but the truth is we have much more pressing needs than WR when you have Boldin, Smith, and Jacoby. The only way I see WR being a big need is if Boldin is a cap casualty (and going by his play off performance, there is no way the FO are going to cut him unless it comes to last resort cap space, Jacoby likely wont be cut either, infact I expect him to be extended if anything).

Safety is the biggest need when Reed retires, MLB comes a close second, and a nose tackle is a big need too. LT is a need, but if McKinnie is extended on another 1/2 year deal, we can buy some more time to find his long term replacement, or use a later pick on a developmental player, like a Ricky Wagner or a Xavier Nixon. TE is an underrated need, we arguably could do with two TE's, one who can block really well, and another athletic miss match.
    How in the world do we have one of the best WR corps in the league? I'm not even sure our WR corps is in the top half of the league... Boldin has impressed us all over the last few games but he's still a 32 year old slot receiver. Torrey can take over a game now and again and beat anybody deep, but he disappears from the game when pressed and still has a lot of growing to do. Jacoby is a situational deep threat. There's no #1 WR among that group and none of them reliably get separation at a high level.

To top all that off, one of Jacoby and Boldin are probably not going to be here next year... my money's on Jacoby. At that point we really don't have a real threat as a #3 and we don't have a successor for Boldin... so we need to make an addition there just to keep up. Couple that with the strength at WR in this draft and I have a hard time not seeing a WR as a possible BPA at some point in the draft. It's definitely a need although it's probably behind FS and ILB as you said.

Honestly the team has gone way too long surrounding Flacco with old, overpriced FAs and late-round draft picks. Now that Flacco has proven he's the QB of the future and capable of playing at an elite level, the Ravens need to make a real effort to build the offense around him and what he does well. I think that means going out and spending early round draft picks at the offensive skill positions like the Colts did with Peyton Manning. He was never short on talent to throw to or hand off to.

Blog Entries

There isn't anyone in this draft that compares to Julio Jones, stop dreaming people. Maybe not WR corps, but when talking all around receiving corps, we probably are up there when you have Ray Rice and Dennis Pitta to account for too.

This was our year to draft that left tackle. There could have been five legit left tackle prospects if lean and Matthews entered, and one was bound to drop a bit.

Now we just maybe have to take a flyer on xavier Nixon or Faulk in round three probably.

I hope for something like this. Elam round 1. Arthur brown round 2. Nixon round 3. Brandon Jenkins round 4. Jordan hill round 4 comp. Mathieu round 5. Michael Williams round 5 comp. oline depth round 6 and round 6 comp pick. Other round 6 comp a pocket passer type developmental QB. Then god I dunno, lucky dip round 7

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    This was our year to draft that left tackle. There could have been five legit left tackle prospects if lean and Matthews entered, and one was bound to drop a bit.

Now we just maybe have to take a flyer on xavier Nixon or Faulk in round three probably.

I hope for something like this. Elam round 1. Arthur brown round 2. Nixon round 3. Brandon Jenkins round 4. Jordan hill round 4 comp. Mathieu round 5. Michael Williams round 5 comp. oline depth round 6 and round 6 comp pick. Other round 6 comp a pocket passer type developmental QB. Then god I dunno, lucky dip round 7
    I'm with you on that. Re-sign McKinnie for a 1/2 year deal while a guy like Nixon develops. I'd much rather invest a 3rd round pick on a developmental OT than a WR who will likely be average or wont contribute much, this is a really weak WR class.

The only thing I'd disagree with is Arthur Brown. I'd take Greene from Rutgers over Brown, but that's just IMO, I think Greene is the 3rd best LB in this class.

You're telling me that Kaseen Greene isn't worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick?.
    If I am not mistaken (and I could be), Khaseem Greene is an outside linebacker. After Minter (and T'eo, but I'm not a fan), there is a big drop off into probably the 4th round for an inside linebacker.
    There isn't anyone in this draft that compares to Julio Jones.
    But there are receivers who could end up being a solid #1, and that's my point. The Ravens don't necessarily need a #1, but they could sure use a #2 to strengthen the WR corps and solidify it for the future. I'm not suggesting they use a first rounder on a WR, but I think they should take a look in round 2 or 3.

I'm with you on that. Re-sign McKinnie for a 1/2 year deal while a guy like Nixon develops. I'd much rather invest a 3rd round pick on a developmental OT than a WR who will likely be average or wont contribute much, this is a really weak WR class.

The only thing I'd disagree with is Arthur Brown. I'd take Greene from Rutgers over Brown, but that's just IMO, I think Greene is the 3rd best LB in this class.
    i haven't seen him, hope to see him in the senior bowl however.

I've heard reports his instincts are good and therefore has slow reactions, whereas Arthur brown sees a play before it happens.

Blog Entries

If I am not mistaken (and I could be), Khaseem Greene is an outside linebacker. After Minter (and T'eo, but I'm not a fan), there is a big drop off into probably the 4th round for an inside linebacker.
    But there are receivers who could end up being a solid #1, and that's my point. The Ravens don't necessarily need a #1, but they could sure use a #2 to strengthen the WR corps and solidify it for the future. I'm not suggesting they use a first rounder on a WR, but I think they should take a look in round 2 or 3.
    He plays WILL in a 3-4 hybrid at Rutgers, he can play 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB it doesn't matter, he can play anywhere. He is great in coverage and can knock the snot our of RB's in the hole. Arthur Brown will go in the 2nd round too and plays ILB for K state. There is also Kevin Riddick, Alec Ogletree, and a bunch of other LB's who go in the top 3 rounds.

B In reality, there are no inside linebackers worth drafting in the 2nd and 3rd rounds unless Minter falls, .
    I hope I'm wrong, but I see Minter eventually going in the top 15. He is a total stud. One of the downsides of winning on Sunday is that it's going to make it really hard to draft him without giving up the world.

As to the 2nd half of your point, I think Skov from Stanford would be a nice addition to our roster in the late 2nd round. I'm not totally sure he is a MLB though, as more of a hybrid type who can excel at multiple LB positions in the 3-4. I also like Kevin Reddick, but I wouldn't draft him until the 3rd round. He's not a bad plan C option if we have to wait a bit later to get our MLB.

I think it's a strong likelihood that one of the top two picks will be a safety.

Problem is you're just going by stats and yards now, so that must mean Flacco isn't a good QB because his stats weren't great this year?

Only reason Torrey and Boldin didn't have the great stats this year was because of Cam Cameron. Had we had Caldwell all year calling the plays, our offense would have been in the top 5 by yards and scoring IMO, and both Boldin and Torrey would have been over 1k yards.

I'm going by the play offs here, and our offense has looked better than everyone else, even Atlanta who have Roddy White and Julio Jones.

And LOL, Pittsburgh have a better corps than us? Indi? Cincy? How do you figure that one out?
    Pitt switched OC this year. Last year Wallace and Brown were considered one of the better duos in the league. Statistically speaking there were better this year and that was going a few games with a terrible QB.

Cincy has AJ Green who some consider as good at Calvin Johnson. Marvin Jones was playing well when he went down with an injury. They also have Andrew Hawkins who put up good numbers despite missing two games.

Indy has Reggie Wayne and TY Hilton. For a young guy TY Hilton looks like a stud. Reggie Wayne is still getting it done. Donnie Avery is very good #3.

Your view of our WRs is homerism at its best. Boldin clearly can't get separation anymore. I am not even sure if Boldin is good enough to be considered a #2. T smith is not a #1. He is certainly developing into one. As he becomes better he won't disappear so often. If we had Caldwell all year it is not going to make Boldin faster or suddenly able to get separation. Boldin is strong and comes up with amazing catches. The reason he comes up with amazing catches is because he can't get separation.

Don't think the Ravens can get a Julio Jones but WR is definitely a need. I will be very disappointed if the Ravens give a big contract to Joe and come back without upgrading the wr corp.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    As to the 2nd half of your point, I think Skov from Stanford would be a nice addition to our roster in the late 2nd round.
    I think Skov decided to stay in school.