Page 59 of 333 FirstFirst ... 5758596061 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    The more and more I think about it, I could definitely see us taking Matt Elam in the first round. He doesnt have great ball skills, but he is arguably the best pure free safety in this class and he just has exceptional range. He makes plays all over the field. I hope he keeps a low profile. I could see him being a big time draft day riser.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The more and more I think about it, I could definitely see us taking Matt Elam in the first round. He doesnt have great ball skills, but he is arguably the best pure free safety in this class and he just has exceptional range. He makes plays all over the field. I hope he keeps a low profile. I could see him being a big time draft day riser.

I brought his name up earlier :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

hes a born leader as well. He's the boss on that field. You see him aligning players, pointing things out, everything Lewis does for us.

I think he would be a great guy to have to replace ed. of he even had a couple season to learn from ed, that would do wonders as well

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    hes a born leader as well. He's the boss on that field. You see him aligning players, pointing things out, everything Lewis does for us.

I think he would be a great guy to have to replace ed. of he even had a couple season to learn from ed, that would do wonders as well
    I dont think Ed will be around to teach him anything.

I dont think Ed will be around to teach him anything.

wishful thinking at 3mil per year over three years. We can all dream

Blog Entries

You know, after watching the Cuse/WVU game...I'm not so sure how a team could be sold on Geno Smith as the #1 overall pick.

Someone is going to be severely disappointed if they think that they are going to take Geno #1 overall and he's going to perform like RGIII has for the Skins or Luck for the Colts. Geno is good...but he isn't anywhere near the product that Luck and RGIII were.

I've been saying all along that people are underrating how much of a need free safety is for this team. I really don't see Ed Reed being back--the team's not going to sign him for the kind of money he'll want, and if they try to franchise him I think he would just retire--then maybe try to come back for 2014.

Inside linebacker isn't a big priority at this point presuming they can resign Ellerbe... which I think they can do. Next to him will be either Jameel or Ray (in the unlikely event Ray comes back) and they have Bynes as a quality reserve. They could still use depth at the position but they don't need to use early picks for that.

At DE/DT, Ngata isn't going anywhere and should be better next year. Art Jones is probably only going to get better, McPhee is starting to come all the way back, and Bryan Hall and DeAngelo Tyson are showing flashes. If they can get an elite pass-rushing DE/DT then sure go for it, but the only REAL need on the DL is NT and they can upgrade that position on the cheap.

The real glaring spot is free safety. They just don't have anybody who can start at the position next year and they don't even actually have any depth. Ihedigbo, Considine, and Cook are all FAs. Omar Brown is maybe a good 3rd safety or dime back type player. They realistically need to get 2 more safeties somehow for 2013--a starting FS and a 4th safety who can play special teams.

Spending a 1st round pick on Matt Elam or (if we're lucky and he falls for some reason) Kenny Vaccaro would be a great investment. Those are the 2 guys that I see as definite day-one starters at the position in this draft. After that, you're probably looking at Phillip Thomas or Tony Jefferson in the 2nd, both prospects I like a lot but I'm not sure they're day 1 starters. I don't really like Eric Reid a lot as a prospect but I need to watch his tape more. I seem to recall him getting burned every time he played single high safety and we need a safety who plays smart and covers a lot of ground in Cover-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    La Canfora speculating that Harrison may be cut from the Steelers after this season.

How's that for an upgrade to the pass rush?
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    You really think James Harrison would upgrade our pass rush? At this point, I'd say Kruger is a better pass rusher at this point in Harrisons career, he's just too old. He should retire with Troy and Whines Ward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Lol no Harrison is done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we are going to go after old Steelers, the only guy I think I'd take for a year or 2 is Casey Hampton.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

You know, after watching the Cuse/WVU game...I'm not so sure how a team could be sold on Geno Smith as the #1 overall pick.

Someone is going to be severely disappointed if they think that they are going to take Geno #1 overall and he's going to perform like RGIII has for the Skins or Luck for the Colts. Geno is good...but he isn't anywhere near the product that Luck and RGIII were.
    He looked horrible. He's got the combine and workouts to get his stock back up but that stinker will be in people's minds for a while. Couldn't believe how bad he looked.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I agree, gonna be interesting to see what direction they go. Looking at the top tier players you have to think they are praying someone falls in love with one of the top prospects enough to move up, which i doubt.

Agreed. You just can't get away with looking that bad given that Syracuse's defense isn't even great and the guys around him played fine. I think he's out of the conversation for #1 overall pick unless he makes up a ton of ground between now and draft day.

I still think he is a potential franchise QB, but he isn't #1 overall material. A #1 overall QB is a guy that will be asked to come into a bad team without a lot of weapons and really elevate everyone's play, and Gino isn't that. If I were Kansas City, I would love to trade down and get him still in the top 10, but now adding an extra pick or two to surround him with another receiver or lineman. If I were Scott Pioli, I would trade down a few spots and grab Gino, then get to work spending all that excess cap space KC has.

Re-sign Branden Albert, sign Greg Jennings, use the 3rd you got for trading down to grab Stedman Bailey... now you've surrounded your QB with some weapons and protection to make sure he doesn't bust. I'd also go out and upgrade on their coaching staff, bring in an offensive guru who knows how to work with a young QB... maybe Jay Gruden?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Where is this notion that the Ravens can sign Branden Albert coming from? The Chiefs have oodles of cap space and will have a new QB in 2013 that they need to surround with talent. Albert is a good left tackle--not elite, but certainly good enough.

If the Chiefs aren't able to resign him I have little doubt they'll franchise him. Even taking into consideration that Albert is a local kid, I highly doubt he'll be in purple and black next year. If we get a new LT it'll be through the draft. There's almost no point in debating otherwise.
    The Albert fans and I aren't making predictions, we're just working through scenarios and possibilities. Without putting up a wall of text to explain, I think the Albert situation is the most likely FA solution to our LT problem. However, this does not mean that it's most likely that we will pursue an FA fix to our LT problem. That is what you and a few others are proposing--a Draft solution, not an FA solution, is the more likely approach....and that's perfectly fine. The matter is not one of debate, just opinion. Until our existing roster moves shake out (first week of March?), there's really no use in debating which path is best; there are just too many variables IMO.