Page 93 of 333 FirstFirst ... 9192939495 ... LastLast
Results 1,105 to 1,116 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    And...Taylor Lewan is apparently going back to school.
    Interesting... Wonder if that Clowney beat down changed his mind.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Interesting... Wonder if that Clowney beat down changed his mind.
    I think it definitely had a significant impact on his decision. Before that game, I think he felt he had a shot of competing with Joker for the top LT spot and be a top 5 pick.

I think he feels that he would be the top guy going int next year (I don't think he will...I think Matthews from TAMU will be).
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Te'o may have a bad BCS game, but Kuechly played against lesser competition, while Te' was dominating against some of the top teams in America. Its also funny how you bring up "elite" sideline to sideline speed, because while Kuechly had a very average rookie year, Hightower has been lights out whenever he's been on the field, and a lot of people said that Hightower should drop weight, and said there's no way he could excel in a 4-3 scheme as a ILB, guess he proved everyone wrong this year.
    think you've got Hightower and Luke mixed up there. He's been lights out will Hightower and been the average one.

Dunno what exactly you see when you watch nfl games....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    think you've got Hightower and Luke mixed up there. He's been lights out will Hightower and been the average one.

Dunno what exactly you see when you watch nfl games....
    Yeah it was my bad, I just don't watch many Carolina games.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think it definitely had a significant impact on his decision. Before that game, I think he felt he had a shot of competing with Joker for the top LT spot and be a top 5 pick.

I think he feels that he would be the top guy going int next year (I don't think he will...I think Matthews from TAMU will be).
    I don't see how he thought he had any change of competing with Joeckel. There was no way he was going to be the #1 LT, but he was going to be the #2 LT and that meant a top 10 pick in all likelihood.

He didn't get "beat down" by Clowney. Clowney had 0 sacks. He had 2 TFLs and on one of the two (the one where he decapitated the RB) he went unblocked by design. If you re-watch the game, Lewan held his own... nobody can stop Clowney but Lewan held him to a couple pressures and just 2 TFLs. That performance didn't hurt his draft stock at all.

IMO Lewan staying in school is a terrible mistake. He could easily get hurt this year or just plain have a down year, and then he could absolutely collapse. I think guys stay in school because they get used to being the big man on campus and living basically a lavish life without needing to work hard. If you were Matt Barkley would you have wanted to leave USC last year and go to Cleveland? Sure, the money is nice, but you're already living like a king, what difference does it really make especially when you're too naive to think it could all go away in a heartbeat?

I question the competitive edge of any young man who doesn't want to move to the highest level and play against the best as soon as he's eligible.

From Lewan:

''People don't really understand why I wouldn't leave for the NFL,'' Lewan said Wednesday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press before making his announcement. ''But when I came to the University of Michigan, I didn't understand the tradition of this place, either. Now, I do. In the NFL, you just come and go. But here at Michigan, it's not like that. I love these guys - my teammates are my best friends - and I want to stay to win Big Ten championships.''

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    That performance didn't hurt his draft stock at all.
    Eh. I wouldn't go that far, but I agree I exaggerated.

I do agree also that it doesn't make much sense not coming out.

I question the competitive edge of any young man who doesn't want to move to the highest level and play against the best as soon as he's eligible.
    Your right in some scenarios, but there are just too many scenarios for that to always be the case.

Exhibit A - Andrew Luck
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    From Lewan:
    Generic and lame.

(Insert praise about University and tradition) (Insert dramatic statement about team/mates) (Insert desire to win conference/national championship)

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Generic and lame.

(Insert praise about University and tradition) (Insert dramatic statement about team/mates) (Insert desire to win conference/national championship)
    I don't think it's lame. Maybe the kid just wanted to finish his degree? Even with Matthews likely being the top rated OT going into next year, Lewan is still pretty much a lock to be a top 20 pick. Probably top 10 or top 5 if he has an even better senior year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

www.nfldraftcentral.com has a pretty good database of top rated seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshman.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't think it's lame. Maybe the kid just wanted to finish his degree? Even with Matthews likely being the top rated OT going into next year, Lewan is still pretty much a lock to be a top 20 pick. Probably top 10 or top 5 if he has an even better senior year.
    If your objective is to maximize the amount of money you can make over your NFL career, then it makes no sense to stay in school. If you have another objective, then that's fine, but it's pretty likely that he'll make somewhat less money over the course of his NFL career by devoting a potential year of it to staying in school. Adding in the risk of injury, and he may very well regret the decision, but... hey, it's his life.

As far as winning a title goes... not with my alma mater in the conference, with Urban Meyer at the helm

Generic and lame.

Do you feel the same way about the BYU players who take off two years to go on a Mormon mission? After all, they too are essentially delaying their entry into the NFL and risking millions of dollars.