Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
I think the whole thinking behind Tyrod is that if Flacco were to go down for a game or two, teams would have a hard time preparing for the kind of gameplan that Tyrod would be running. Just the novelty alone probably gives you a shot to steal a game or two. If Flacco goes down with a serious injury it doesn't matter anyway because that season is shot.

No interest IMO in going out and getting a backup QB on the open market. They can't spare the money. I'd rather just see them spend another 6th or 7th round pick on a more pure drop-back type QB, maybe somebody who flies under the radar because of playing at a small school or whatever. (Sean Renfree? Brad Sorenson? There are several good options out there.) Develop him and see what he can turn into.
I've subscribed to the "athletic backup QB" for a few years now... In the middle of a game if the starter goes down, it can be very, veryeffective in moving the ball. After a few weeks, however, you are correct. Additionally, it exposes yoru backup to injury as well, which long term isn't the best idea. So to go a step further, I like the idea of an athletic backup, and another pocket passer as 3rd string, and sometimes the 3rd string guy would be where I turn if I have a week to prepare my offense.