Page 29 of 333 FirstFirst ... 2728293031 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    No thanks.

Injury concerns and he is kind of a 1 trick pony.

I'd love to see the Ravens get another pass rusher, but there will be better options over Lemonier.
    I like Suggs and Upshaw as bookends. I think Kruger needs to be replaced, as he will likel get overpaid elsewhere, but to me, 5 technique is the bigger need. We absolutely need to sure up the spot opposite Ngata and reduce his workload while ALSO allowing him to shift to NT some. I like the combo of Art Jones and McPhee, but think one more player, hopefully better then either, would really benefit this team.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I like Suggs and Upshaw as bookends. I think Kruger needs to be replaced, as he will likel get overpaid elsewhere, but to me, 5 technique is the bigger need. We absolutely need to sure up the spot opposite Ngata and reduce his workload while ALSO allowing him to shift to NT some. I like the combo of Art Jones and McPhee, but think one more player, hopefully better then either, would really benefit this team.
    If McPhee, Suggs and Ngata return 100% then yup all we need is an NT that can collapse the pocket and we'll have a top tier unit up front.

Blog Entries

A NT prospect may not happen in this draft. Unfortunately, there really are only 2 solid NT prospects (Jon Hankins and Star Lotulelei) and they'll be top 10 picks. Jon Jenkins out of Georgia is interesting, but I'm not 100% on him. Jesse Williams out of Alabama is the other, but he has some durability concerns. Still, he'd be a solid section in the 3rd round.

Then you have a bunch of mammoth guys like Kwame Geathers and Dan McCullers...but I can't honestly say they'd be any different than Cody.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

No need for a 5 technique IMO, let McPhee and Art Jones continue their development. Terrence Knighton is the solution to our nT problem, he will come cheaper than you'd think too. he absolutely destroyed Bryant Mckinnie and Michael Oher in the pre season game when they came down here.

This draft is all got to be Oline, Oline, and more Oline.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    No need for a 5 technique IMO, let McPhee and Art Jones continue their development. Terrence Knighton is the solution to our nT problem, he will come cheaper than you'd think too. he absolutely destroyed Bryant Mckinnie and Michael Oher in the pre season game when they came down here.

Part of why I want a 5 technique is two-fold. Ngata plays too many snaps, and I could see him transitioning to NT as he ages.

Yeah, I would welcome a Knighton signing. The kid has majorly fallen out of favor in Jacksonville, he's not even starting over there anymore, but that doesn't matter for us. He'd only be a part-timer for us anyway, but is a huge upgrade over Creampuff Cody, the weakest 350 pound man I've ever seen.

Obviously I'm still beating the drum for my man Kenny Phillips, but at this point I don't know how much the organization will want to spend on defense in FA. The offense is just majorly thin right now. They need a LT terribly, possibly a LG and/or C, probably a WR, possibly a QB... probably a blocking TE.... TONS of holes...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Yeah, I would welcome a Knighton signing. The kid has majorly fallen out of favor in Jacksonville, he's not even starting over there anymore, but that doesn't matter for us. He'd only be a part-timer for us anyway, but is a huge upgrade over Creampuff Cody, the weakest 350 pound man I've ever seen.

Obviously I'm still beating the drum for my man Kenny Phillips, but at this point I don't know how much the organization will want to spend on defense in FA. The offense is just majorly thin right now. They need a LT terribly, possibly a LG and/or C, probably a WR, possibly a QB... probably a blocking TE.... TONS of holes...
    I'm also a HUGE fan of Philips, also like Daryl Smith. Kenny Philips won't be that expensive, he's sat most of the year out, and almost certainly won't be back with NYG. The best thing about him, is he's only 25 years old, he is 6'2 and would make a sizeable and physical safety partnership with Bernard Pollard. Could be the hardest hitting safety tandem in this league if we were to land Philips. Another guy to look at is Tracy Porter who only signed a one year deal with Denver. He has played well this year, and our CB depth isn't certain next season.

I honestly think this draft should be totally on offense, which is why, if we somehow have the cap room, we use all of that room on improving the defense.

Part of why I want a 5 technique is two-fold. Ngata plays too many snaps, and I could see him transitioning to NT as he ages.
    He certaintly could do it but i think it's a non featured position that makes it even easier for him to be double teamed

I'm also a HUGE fan of Philips, also like Daryl Smith. Kenny Philips won't be that expensive, he's sat most of the year out, and almost certainly won't be back with NYG. The best thing about him, is he's only 25 years old, he is 6'2 and would make a sizeable and physical safety partnership with Bernard Pollard. Could be the hardest hitting safety tandem in this league if we were to land Philips. Another guy to look at is Tracy Porter who only signed a one year deal with Denver. He has played well this year, and our CB depth isn't certain next season.

I honestly think this draft should be totally on offense, which is why, if we somehow have the cap room, we use all of that room on improving the defense.
    I think we could get Tracy Porter on a 1 yr make good deal, he's a quality corner, Chris Harris is just playing to well to get that job back

I don't feel that bad about the CB position honestly unless Webb won't be 100% for training camp (which is possible). Webb is a great player, Corey Graham has been basically the Ravens' defensive MVP over the past few games, and although Jimmy Smith has underwhelmed I think the team will give him another chance.

I think the 2013 CB depth chart is: #1 Webb #2 Graham #3 Smith #4 C. Brown #5 Asa Jackson. That's a very decent top 5... if they go out and get a guy it will likely be a late round draft pick. Again, I'm assuming Webb will be healthy... he's been through ACL rehab before so he should be able to bounce back.

The most IMMEDIATELY urgent need on defense IMO is free safety. They literally have nobody except raw developmental guys (Thompson, Omar Brown) or journeymen (Ihedigbo). Those 3 guys are good 3rd, 4th, and 5th safeties/ST players, but none of them are even close to starters.

After that, NT and ILB need to be upgraded, but the needs aren't quite as immediate. I think they can both re-sign Dannell Ellerbe and sign Terrence Knighton fairly cheaply, both would be upgrades.

Blog Entries

Agreed.

Chykie Brown has also been pretty good and Asa Jackson still may develop into a decent player.

The front 7 should be the focal point of this off-season. That and getting healthy.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

So who else is a fan of Daryl Smith?

The concerns I have are age (not the best of age at 31, but has shown no signs of slowing down, has four or five years left in him IMO), injury concerns (has sat out the majority of this season with a groin injury I believe) and scheme fit (although, not sure if this will be a problem with someone as talented as Daryl Smith.)