Page 1 of 333 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

I know there was one posted a while back, but it's a little dated, so I thought we could start a new one in light of today. I don't expect anything out of this team now, won't be surprised if we lose out the injuries we have.

The first big point is Joe Flacco.

Do we resign, let go, or franchise tag. That's the big question. To me the most likely scenario is tag him for the year, and bring in a new OC to see what he can do in a legit offense. That will be 14 million in salary cap... gone. That means quite a few players are going to have to be asked to walk.

Jameel McClain hasn't backed that contract up, I think he'll be cut.
    Matt Birk should just retire
    Bobbie Williams will retire or get cut
    Ray Lewis is up in the air, I'd personally like him to return for one more year
    AnQuan Boldin could be a cap casualty, I would hate for it to happen, but it's possible if Ozzie really wants to rebuild the D.

Some others could be gone too.

My next point is Ed Reed, what do we do with him if he decides not to retire. Do we resign him? The franchise tag will not be a luxury we can use if Flacco gets tagged. I will shed a tear or two if he departs from Bmore, I really wanted to see him win a ring with us, after all he's done for us, such a sad thing.

Paul Kruger has potential, it all depends on how much he demands. IMO, we sign him to a fairly cheap deal, if he wants more, let him go because he hasn't proven him self to bean every down player.

There are other guys like Arthur Jones, Dennis Pitta, and Terrence Cody who we'll probably have to use a tender on. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Then we come onto the more favorable discussion on who we sign in FA and who we draft...

It's a defensive deep draft, not much in the way of offensive skilled positions. The FA market isn't very deep this year, but there are some players we could potentially have a shot at.

Frankly I don't want another year like this for a while, we are 9-4, but it reminds me a lot of 2007, very depressing. Thank god the rugby team I play for, are doing well this year, as well as England rugby doing well beating the All blacks the other week, or I'd be a manic depressant right now :D.

Discuss.

Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

The cap situation is horrible. They better hit on the draft because they won't be able to bring much money in.

this front office has been getting free pass for all the busts they've drafted. JO and Ray was in 1995, they need to stop padding themselves on the back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenray View Post
    this front office has been getting free pass for all the busts they've drafted. JO and Ray was in 1995, they need to stop padding themselves on the back.
    Stupid post sorry.

We have drafted the second most all pros (second to the Pats) through he last decade. Do some research before blindly contributing to this thread.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The cap situation is horrible. They better hit on the draft because they won't be able to bring much money in.
    The cap isn't terrible at all, it's just going to be bad if we use 14 million to tag Flacco.

Frankly, is he worth that much?

Honestly, let Reed walk at this point....

And I'm a huge Reed fan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The cap isn't terrible at all, it's just going to be bad if we use 14 million to tag Flacco.

Frankly, is he worth that much?
    Go read Ravor's latest. 37 players under contract. $14 million under the cap. They need to sign draft picks, RFAs, ERFAs and Flacco. Do the math. Even if Flacco doesn't get franchised they are going to have to be creative just to fill the roster. There won't be any name free agents this year without significant cuts of big money. Boldin will be on that list but some other surprises will have to be there too, Leach is the most obvious luxury they really can't afford.

Blog Entries

You just gotta hope Flacco's agents see the light and get him to sign the deal they offered him. I mean really sure a team might pay him elite money like he want's but they're going to be horrible. Is a extra mill or 2 a year really worth it?

Also hoping Reed takes a cap friendly deal, but honestly could see him wanting to go play for the Pats or Texans, or hell even the Colts with Luck who all will prob get to a SB before us. He wants a ring and I'm guessing Ray is done after this year.

Boldin looks to be another restructure or be a cap casulty.

Next up the first 2 rounds of the draft had better be to get a 3-4 DE and a MLB. PERIOD.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Go read Ravor's latest. 37 players under contract. $14 million under the cap. They need to sign draft picks, RFAs, ERFAs and Flacco. Do the math. Even if Flacco doesn't get franchised they are going to have to be creative just to fill the roster. There won't be any name free agents this year without significant cuts of big money. Boldin will be on that list but some other surprises will have to be there too, Leach is the most obvious luxury they really can't afford.
    Ravor has stated that he estimates us to be at around 7.5 million under the cap, that is not terrible shape IMO. Yes it will mean saying good bye to some good players, maybe Boldin, but it really depends on Flacco tbh.

10. Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

It's not worth gutting the rest of the team IMO. We HAVE to rebuild this defense first and foremost, that is who we are. It'd be nice if we had some space to work with in FA and yes, we HAVE to land some defensive picks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Stupid post sorry.

We have drafted the second most all pros (second to the Pats) through he last decade. Do some research before blindly contributing to this thread.
    I disagree with this, a decade is a long time, what have they done in the past few drafts? They hit on Webb, what else?

They've done next to nothing in the draft as far as bringing in legitimate studs since the 2008 draft of Flacco and Rice, IMO. Pitta, Smith, those guys are nice players, but not sure they'll ever end up being more than that. Jury is still out on some, of course. But I can certainly see the argument that the FO hasn't been as good at bringing in quality contributors through the draft in recent years as they were in the past.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

For next season:

1. Review coaching staff. Fire Cam. Look at possible replacement for Moeller.
    For OC: Promote Caldwell or bring in Turner.

2. Bring back Flacco.

3. Cut/Let Walk/Retire:
    McClain
    Birk
    Williams
    McKinnie
    Ayanbedejo
    Kruger
    Williams
    Kemoeatu
    McBean
    Considine