Page 18 of 333 FirstFirst ... 1617181920 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

I really hope we go for the Honeybadger. He may have a lot of off the field issues, but it is a perfect low risk, high reward scenario if we drafted him in the 2nd/3rd round. He would give us a potential playmaking FS/Nickelback. He is the guy I would love to replace Ed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Regarding the whole "draft hierarchy of needs," I think we all might be very surprised by how good this team feels about their OL. They're sticking with Oher and he might look a lot better in a new offense with more short drops. Jah Reid is being given every opportunity to win the LG job outright. They love KO at RT at this point and I doubt he'll ever move inside.

The only real question mark in terms of starters is C and the team will decide if Gradkowski is the answer there. I DO expect them to select some offensive linemen to bolster our depth as we will likely lose 3 guys there this offseason (Birk, Williams, McKinnie), but don't forget they have 2 guys on the PS they think highly of in Jack Cornell and Antoine McClain.

I would honestly be surprised if they take an OL early simply because the top 4 OTs will likely all be taken in the top 25 picks and then beyond that there really aren't any great prospects. I would be shocked if the BPA at #27 is an OL, Barrett Jones IMO is really the only possibility and if he's there he certainly could be the pick.

I can't reiterate enough how I think this team has NO other choice but to go out and grab a blue chip FA defensive player, whether that be on the DL, LB, or S. Even if they do that this is a defensive draft IMO with a few offensive linemen and perhaps a WR. Given the Ravens' needs and my overall big board I am 90% confident the Ravens will be grabbing a blue-chip defensive player in the first round no matter what they do in FA... that's just the way this draft looks.

Targets at #27 I would think would include these guys: Kenny Vaccaro, John Jenkins, Matt Elam, Alec Ogletree, and Barrett Jones. I think the most likely picks are LB and S. The talent at safety in this draft is really really good and the team has no depth at the position and no starter at FS next year. Christian Thompson and Emanuel Cook are depth/ST guys and Cook is a FA next year anyway.

There is NO WAY the team goes into 2013 with this depth chart: SS Pollard/???? FS Thompson/O. Brown. They WILL either draft a safety early or sign a FA. Count on it.
    Dashon Goldson should be available.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    I really hope we go for the Honeybadger. He may have a lot of off the field issues, but it is a perfect low risk, high reward scenario if we drafted him in the 2nd/3rd round. He would give us a potential playmaking FS/Nickelback. He is the guy I would love to replace Ed.
    I don't think he'll be drafted. If he is, it won't be until the 7th round. The Ravens will have the opportunity to take the guy, but I'm not sure they would.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Guys, I'm sorry, but I'm just totally sold on Eric Fisher, and we should do everything we can to get him. IMO he won't go as high in the first round as you'd think, I reckon we have a very realistic chance of landing our franchise LT if we're picking around 25/26 range. At this point, I prefer Mario Benevides to Barret Jones at center, Benevides is a tough nasty blocker that you don't fuck with. He kind of reminds me of a young Nick Hardwick.
    Fisher is very nice. Once the Combine monkeys do their thing, and make the simpleminded FOs forget all about the hours of tape they've watched, Fisher should be in range. Can't imagine that we'd leave him on the board. Might have to leap ahead of PIT though...I don't trust them.

Any links on Louisville offense? I can't find any.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't think he'll be drafted. If he is, it won't be until the 7th round. The Ravens will have the opportunity to take the guy, but I'm not sure they would.
    I can't see Ozzie even considering him. He won't be on the Ravens board. I also think he'll be gone by the 3rd or 4th round.

If they did switch, we would need a lot more 4-3 LB's. Also, who would play opposite Suggs? I know McPhee bulked up to play 3-4 DE, but maybe he could shed some weight if we switched back to being a 4-3 DE.

DE: Suggs/McLellan
    DT: Jones/Tyson
    NT: Ngata/Cody
    DE: McPhee/Upshaw

OLB: Ellerbe
    MLB: Ray/Bynes
    OLB: McClain
    Last year the Ravens played mostly a 4-2-5 in nickel sets, and the 4-man DL was Suggs/Ngata/McPhee/Kruger. I think they'd do well to move to that sort of 4-3 full time. It would look like this:

RDE-Suggs/McAdoo/???
    DT-Jones/Tyson/Hall
    NT-Ngata/Cody
    LDE-Upshaw/McPhee/A. Hamilton

A lot of defenses in the NFL now are having a lot of success going very deep at the DL, rotating guys and mixing up looks. I think the Ravens would do well to rotate everybody except Suggs... McPhee would be the first guy off the bench to play especially on the inside in nickel sets. I don't see him as a 4-3 end but rather as a 4-3 "under" tackle whose job is to hit the gap and penetrate first and foremost.

At LB, I actually think McClellan is this team's SAM backer of the future if they go to a 4-3. He would play the old Jarret Johnson role, JJ was actually primarily a 4-3 SAM backer. McClellan has shown he can drop to cover the flat/curl zone fairly well, he's one of the team's better edge-setters, and he seems comfortable playing in a two point stance.

Ellerbe needs to be re-signed to play MLB. He has the sideline to sideline speed and intermediate coverage ability to play the old Ray Lewis role, not as well of course. I love his physicality in the middle.

McClain would be cut as he is apparently worthless in either a 3-4 or 4-3. Disappointment of the year, IMO. The team would need to draft one of the many young, fast LBs in this draft to play WLB. Gerald Hodges would probably be my pick.

I wouldn't touch Mathieu earlier than the 4th or 5th. This is a guy who will likely struggle with substance abuse/legal issues his entire life. The problem with the dope addict guys isn't that they like dope, a lot of NFL players do, but when you start choosing dope over football (which is what Mathieu has done) you can't be counted on as a future NFL player.

Not to mention nobody knows if Mathieu can be anything other than a RS and dime back in the NFL. We'll see further along in the draft process, but right now the first thing he has to do is prove he is draftable. Just look at Burfict--went from a 1st round pick to UDFA and he didn't have half the problems Mathieu has.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Clady feels disrespected GOTA. He's been with the team for years, but couldn't get paid before now, even though he's surpassed expectations? Yet, Manning shows up and gets the money? Why do that when you can come to an organization that would show you the appreciation that you deserve, and the money. He'd be the only major FA acquisition necessary.

Clady, Osemele, Gradkowski, Yanda, Oher.
    It doesn't matter how Clady feels. If he doesn't sign they'll tag him. The Broncos are going to protect Manning and Clady is playing at a very high level this year.

I'd love to have him here. I wanted Clady a lot more than Flacco during that draft. But it ain't happening. The Broncos only have about 3 years with Manning. They're not going to screw around with his protection.

^For the Burfict comment, he has proven to be a very valuable addition to the Bengals. If I recall currectly he is #2 on the team in tackles. All I'm saying is we should really look into him. He has SOO much talent, it would be stupid not to at least look at him. Janoris Jenkins was in a very similar situation to Mathieu. Look at what he's accomplished for the Rams.

If they did switch, we would need a lot more 4-3 LB's. Also, who would play opposite Suggs? I know McPhee bulked up to play 3-4 DE, but maybe he could shed some weight if we switched back to being a 4-3 DE.

DE: Suggs/McLellan
    DT: Jones/Tyson
    NT: Ngata/Cody
    DE: McPhee/Upshaw

OLB: Ellerbe
    MLB: Ray/Bynes
    OLB: McClain

We'd need a lot more speed here.
    Someone like AZST's Will Sutton at DT or Oregon's Dion Jordan at DE.

10. Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

I'd like to see the team take on a new speed pass rush sort of look at least on the edges. I do believe we need to dedicate a lot of this draft to the defense and go out and sign a solid contributor for that side of the ball. I'd love to have Goldson.

Thanks for the insight. That is interesting, because a lot of things I've read on him claim he is a pretty speedy receiver.
    Good route runner, great hands, elite body control, and huge catching radius for his size.

He's like a poor man's Larry Fitzgerald. Not going to burn you deep, but can still be a down-field threat due to those strengths. Well worth a 2nd round pick, IMO.

Sammy Watkins is the blazer in Clemson's WR corps. Assuming he stays healthy next year, he's a top-15 pick, easily.

There's also the curious case of Martavis Bryant, who's rumored to be contemplating declaring due to academic issues. He's got elite size (6'5"), and is supposedly the fastest of the Clemson WRs. He's shown some crazy talent at times, but is typically a body-catcher. If someone can refine his technique and force him to improve his work ethic and preparation, he could be a steal in late day 2. I wouldn't risk taking him any earlier, however.

Dashon Goldson should be available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    I'd like to see the team take on a new speed pass rush sort of look at least on the edges. I do believe we need to dedicate a lot of this draft to the defense and go out and sign a solid contributor for that side of the ball. I'd love to have Goldson.
    I like Dashon Goldson quite a bit, but I'm concerned that he's going to be overvalued. He's a good player, but word is he's looking to be the highest paid safety in the game, and he's not worth THAT much nor do the Ravens have the capability to do a deal of that type.

I seem to be the only one carrying water for the guy but I really think they should just offer Kenny Phillips a 2 year, 8m type of "prove it" deal without big money up front. I think he has the upside to be the best safety in the league, but his injury history will drive his price down. The Giants already have Antrel Rolle locked up to an expensive long-term deal and Stevie Brown has been outstanding filling in for Phillips, so they'll likely just stick with that duo next year.

Best case scenario, Phillips signs that deal and plays an injury free 2013 at the level he was before he got hurt, which is presently a much higher level than Ed Reed. Then the team rips up the last year of the deal and extends him long-term. Worst case scenario, he gets hurt early and doesn't play a lot, but the team is going to need to draft a safety at some point just for depth so they'll be able to evaluate whoever steps in and then make another decision on Phillips before 2014.

I think Phillips is the best option on the market. Goldson, Jairus Byrd, and William Moore are the other top guys and they'll all want huge money, I don't see their teams letting them go. Louis Delmas is another option but his injury concerns are even worse than Kenny Phillips. If they don't get Phillips or somebody else in FA they'll have to choose between re-signing Ed Reed if he doesn't retire and turning to a draft pick. I honestly have 0% confidence our 2013 starting free safety is currently on the roster.