Page 78 of 333 FirstFirst ... 7677787980 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

A lot of LSU fans say Reid has had a bad year but I don't agree. He has looked bad when he's been put in man to man coverage. There aren't many safeties that can cover Wrs tho. Elam is the real deal tho, he's really instinctive. Either way I think both guys are more Goldson than Eric Berry.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This is too simplistic of a picture. Cody can't play--as in, at all. His technique is among the worst I've ever seen on the defensive line and he totally lacks functional strength. As an interior lineman, you do at least one of two things every down (preferably both): anchor, and penetrate. Cody doesn't have the strength to anchor or the speed to penetrate. At this point, he has to be presumed a bust. If he can come back next year and play well, then let him prove it, but he absolutely can't be relied on and the team needs to upgrade. Apart from that I do agree that we have enough young talent at interior DL to work with.

Suggs is probably never going to play at a Pro Bowl level again. He played well in his first game back against the Texans, but apart from that he's been mostly average. He'll be 31 this year and he's one of the oldest 31 year olds in the NFL as he's already a 10 year vet with several serious injuries. Does he even have 3 years left in the NFL? We need to begin looking for a replacement at rush DE/OLB.

Those are just a couple of serious concerns you seem to be overlooking. You're also assuming we'll have guys like Ellerbe and Ihedigbo back... but those 2 are both free agents and the team is cash-strapped. Failing to retain Ellerbe would be catastrophic, but it absolutely could happen especially if a long-term deal can't be reached with Flacco. Ihedigbo is a nice 3rd safety/dime package/special teams player but as I said he's a FA anyway and even if he's retained they need to add someone at FS. Christian Thompson is a total unknown and not a lock to even make the team next year.

This team has more needs than people realize particularly on the defensive side of the ball.
    Terrance Cody is only in his third year and this is only his second year with significant playing time. If you look at how far he had to come, from a physical standpoint, I believe he has more room to grow. He had to improve physically. He has really done that. Now, he needs to work on his technique. That takes time. Time that us Ravens fans don't like to give, because we've never really had to give it before. At least, not since the late 90's.

Ihedibo would do just fine as a replacement to Ed Reed. Rather than relying on him to make the sort of plays that Reed made, you would simply expect him to play the position, more along the way it was meant to be played, without the risk taking that Reed did.

Dannell Ellerbe will not be difficult to re-sign, because his position has been devalued over the years. There were about a half dozen quality ILBs sitting on the market for weeks, this past off-season.

Even though Suggs' tear was only a partial, it would be difficult to expect more than what you have from Suggs this year. He just needs to get healthy. I agree that they need to think about life after him, but that would only be depth for now. Which is all I said they needed to begin with. Every team could use more depth, seemingly, every off-season.

I don't see how you would expect them to add another FS, who wouldn't need time to develop, if you are already concerned about their salary cap situation. You draft guys to develop them. Let Ihedibo hold it down for a year. I think he's earned the opportunity to compete for that spot. Meanwhile, develop Christian Thompson.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Because Bowe isn't exactly a TD machine. Isn't that burner guy and just doesn't fit what I think of as Reid's system. They have the cap room, I really see them making a run at a Mike Wallace since Pitts isn't gonna have much money to sign him.

Just my .02 of course

What their gonna do in the draft beats me, I'm guessing they skip on the wanna be QB's coming out and go D, even though they have a ton of talent over on that side. And I bet Andy tries to lure Kolb in, or maybe evn going and picking up Jason Campbell whom he's familiar with because of playing him twice a year. But putting money into Bowe over Wallace, for Andy's sytem mind you, doesn't make sense. Add in Kolb or Campbell along with that rushing attack, a piece or 2 on the OL and their gonna be really good really quick.
    Reid runs a WCO and Bowe is exactly what you need in a WCO...a big guy who can run after the catch.

No way are they just letting him walk.

And with their cap room, they could re-sign him and sign Wallace.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Reid runs a WCO and Bowe is exactly what you need in a WCO...a big guy who can run after the catch.

No way are they just letting him walk.

And with their cap room, they could re-sign him and sign Wallace.
    Which they very well may do.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Which they very well may do.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Cassell needs all of the help he can get.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Cassell needs all of the help he can get.
    Honestly, they could bring in Calvin Johnson and it wouldn't help him. Cassell is just too timid to be an NFL QB.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

7. Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

I am certainly a homer, but looking at what we need and most people thinking we take a wr early. I would love nothing more to see Nuk Hopkins as a Raven, but would settle for Sammy Watkins next year if we could find a free agent to come in for a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonRaven View Post
    I am certainly a homer, but looking at what we need and most people thinking we take a wr early. I would love nothing more to see Nuk Hopkins as a Raven, but would settle for Sammy Watkins next year if we could find a free agent to come in for a year or two.
    Clemson grad?

Blog Entries

We're not taking receivers at the back end of the first round, you just never get value there. OT, S, or ILB are locks for our first pick of the draft IMO, unless Ozzie really likes Barrett Jones which is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    We're not taking receivers at the back end of the first round, you just never get value there. OT, S, or ILB are locks for our first pick of the draft IMO, unless Ozzie really likes Barrett Jones which is possible.

DeMaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks, Dwayne Bowe, Roddy White, and others indicate otherwise.

Take the BPA that's not a QB or RB.

Who woulda thunk...it really looks like "byebye Paul Kruger" for 2013.
    We just won't have the bankroll.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post

DeMaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks, Dwayne Bowe, Roddy White, and others indicate otherwise.

Take the BPA that's not a QB or RB.
    DeMarius Thomas went 22nd overall, and he isn't that great, he just as Peyton Manning throwing him the ball.

Dwayne Bowe went 23rd overall, not really what I class as the "back end".

I'll give you Hakeem Nicks and Roddy White, but these are rare picks. I can name you a lot more busts then get picked in the back end of the first round at the wide out position, Mark Clayton comes to mind, and Ozzie hasn't used a 1st round/early 2nd round pick on a wide out since.

Dez Bryant is a decent player, but look at the baggage that comes with him, besides, he only looked good this season.