Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
I think the bigger bodied WRs will all stack up ahead of Wheaton. Also, a team signing Wallace, Bowe and maybe even Welker and Jennings probably won't take a WR in the 1st or 2nd. NE will be an exception even if they actually resign Welker...they could use some youth at WR.

Wheaton will rise a bit if he goes sub 4.4 (very possible) next month but I still see him in the 3rd.
All the teams are looking for the next 6'4, 6'5 sort of WR. AJ Green, Julio Jones, Calvin, Andre, etc... I believe the only sub-6'0 WRs to go in the first round over the last few years were Percy Harvin (who is one of the best WRs in the NFL) and Kendall Wright (who was a bit of a reach at #22 but had staggering college production). I agree with you that smaller WRs are going to get devalued. I could easily see Justin Hunter, Cordarelle Patterson, Keenan Allen, and Terrance Williams all going in the 1st while the 6'0 and under guys fall way down.

And you know what? That suits me just fine. Jim Caldwell's Colts NEVER had a WR over 6'0. Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne were both 6'0 and fairly slim guys. The offense wasn't built around them outmuscling or outjumping guys, it was built around precision route running and sharp breaks. As long as a 6'0 and under guy can get off a bigger CB's jam at the line and plays bigger than his size he doesn't need to hit a certain benchmark for size or weight.

When I scout WRs the top two characteristics I look for are route running and quickness out of their breaks. In those respects, my top guys in this class are DeAndre Hopkins, Stedman Bailey, Markus Wheaton, and Quinton Patton. I think all of them would fit our offense well especially if we continue to trend more towards the Tom Moore style offense.