Page 146 of 333 FirstFirst ... 144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,752 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Forget about Jake Long, he isn't coming to Baltimore. Look at the usual solid/under the radar FA's that the Ravens normally look for to be playing in Baltimore next year, they wont over pay for a declining offensive tackle.
    He's not even that good. Long has been mediocre for the past 2 years. He's still going to get top dollar. I sure wouldn't want to be the GM who pays it.

Indeed. Even if you don't buy into PFF's framework, take a look at the deltas or trend line among Long's performance numbers across the 2010-2012 seasons. It's pretty drastic.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The Jets continue to be a circus...

They're looking at Jamarcus Russell.

I wonder who would be worse...Russell? Or, Sanchez?

What a disaster. Like I said last week, NYJ isn't going to be challenging the AFC for an awful long time. Old guys getting older. Still a shaky locker room. Awful owner. Rex and staff will be gone in 2014 in absence of a playoff run (which ain't happenin)...

Disaster.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    What a disaster. Like I said last week, NYJ isn't going to be challenging the AFC for an awful long time. Old guys getting older. Still a shaky locker room. Awful owner. Rex and staff will be gone in 2014 in absence of a playoff run (which ain't happenin)...

Disaster.
    It's clear at this point Rex is just a lame duck. Woody didn't want to fire Rex then bring a new coach into the Sanchez disaster. They are probably stuck with Sanchez for this season.

The Jets continue to be a circus...

They're looking at Jamarcus Russell.

I wonder who would be worse...Russell? Or, Sanchez?
    They (the Jets) make it so easy to make fun of them

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    With Jake Long, you REALLY have to ask yourself why a team would be willing to basically completely give up on a former first overall pick at LT who is only 27.

Nobody just lets guys like that walk when you have all the cap room the Dolphins have.

Everybody in Miami basically has said his play has REALLY been slipping over the last 2 years and he always seems to be hurt.

Not someone I'd be willing to invest $10 large annually in. There are red flags all over the place.
    All good points.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    I'm not saying "ignore the offensive line." I'm saying, "how much does a top LT actually do in terms of Wins/Losses, given how much cap space -- and therefore team depth at other positions -- he eats up?"

Ten highest paid LT's are who? I don't have an exact list, but from what I've seen it's guys like....

Joe Thomas? Loser team (cleveland). Jake Long? Miami -- loser team. Jordan Gross? Carolina. Loser team. Clady? Denver. Good team. One playoff win in 3 years???

D.B. Ferguson, Jets. Uhhh, yeah. The Jets... the Constanza of the NFL. Whatever they're doing, do the opposite and you'll be on the right track.

Roos, Tennessee.. Are they still in the league?

Peters, Philly. Meh. McNeill, San Diego. Penn, Tampa. Rebuilding? Relevant? Trent Williams, Washington? Improving team. Okung, Seattle? Finally we get somebody on a definitely good team at a good price.

Argue one or two above, sure.

Point is, most of those teams suck, and even the ones that don't totally suck are nowhere near being a SB contender. Denver and Seattle are the only ones on that whole list who are legit contenders right now.

So on balance I would say that tells me that the LT position appears to be overvalued by the market. If that list was chock full of teams routinely battling for the SB I'd say, yeah, looks like paying top dollar for a top LT is a must. But clearly it is not.

The fact that the Ravens were able to unearth a McKinnie on a dirt cheap deal (and thus save what, 8 million to spread around to the rest of the roster?) tells me that bargains win games, not paying top of market for one guy.

QB appears to be the only position that correlates well with "high paid" and "wins."

3 important names that belong on your list and undermine it to an exten are Joe Staley, Andrew Whitworth and Duane Brown. All perrneial playoff teams, and all clearly top 10 left tackles.

Blog Entries

Nate Solder is pretty good for the Patriots too.

Blog Entries

He was a guy I hoped the Ravens would take too but I wanted Jimmy more so I can't complain about it.

If McKinnie can be brought back and the guy will play ("will" being the key word) at the level in which he is playing now, then great.

However, the guy is going to be 34 years old this September.

If the Ravens bring him back, I think it should only be on a 1 year deal so that they can draft a young guy to groom behind him. If they aren't going to do that, then they better be willing to really look at potential LT free agents.
    34 is hardly old for a Tackle. Signing McKinney is a good idea, add incentives to the contract as well. Weight,starts, and sacks, pancakes...They have been to two AFCCG with Big Mac! No player that I can remember has got a worse rap for good solid performances than Big Mac.

Meh...Vollmer is better much better. Actually NE has been disapointed with Solder.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I can see why we might be locked onto Markus Wheaton. He gets out of his out and comeback routes with almost no wasted movement. While not jammed a lot on the Cal, ASU and BYU tape, he has done pretty well in that department in the 1on1's in Mobile. OSU's DBs play press coverage, so Wheaton has seen it for years at Corvallis and it appears to have helped him.

Like Boldin and Torrey, he's always looking to make a block on the perimeter and downfield and actually does it very well...just about as well as Patton from this class. Now, he's no Patton with foot quickness and he's no Studman with his routes, but he's a very balanced WR...and even though he's a track guy, he doesn't look like an athlete playing WR like Harper, Allen and Dobson IMO. I can see him being wide or in the slot. From a spring practice interview, he mentioned that he put on 10-11 lbs coming into 2012 (mostly muscle I would assume). He will need to bump it up another 7-8 lbs up top over time for the NFL.

In the link below, go to the last play at 5:32 and watch his effort and consider the following: it's a run call away from his side, late in the 3rd quarter, some back-ups are already in and his team is up 35 points. Coaches absolutely LOVE that kinda stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5-DwyPWQj8

His hands are better than average and he'd have the best vision and cutback ability among our WR corps come day 1.
    More tape on Wheaton. I would be pretty comfortable with him being selected, but I'm really only posting these b/c he seems to be on our radar.
    Come 2014, if it plays out...Dennis, Torrey, Doss, Streeter and Wheaton would be a pretty dynamic group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfNoK4BsVs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIs0pFOkR74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjtiPitIsgE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrPsnQWU6kA vs. the 1st or 2nd best cover CB at the Sr Bowl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofTTjPRPyBI @9:55 and 12:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4gd1tGWx6A @2:56...super quick feet on his hitch