Page 151 of 333 FirstFirst ... 149150151152153 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,812 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Guys, I'm starting to think that there is a real possibility that we may only be re-signing Dennis Pitta, and Arthur Jones as an RFA this year, even Dickson is at danger. If Flacco gets franchised it is literally going to criple us, either Boldin or Jacoby will be cut, Leach will be cut, Williams and Birk are givens, this is including NOT bringing back most of our RFAs, David Reed and Harewood in all likelihood wont be back. We will almost surely have to extend some contracts to to get their cap hits lowered for 2013, and thats JUST to get under in order to franchise Joe. If we can somehow agree to terms with Joe before the deadline, it would be HUGE, simply because we will at least be able to re-sign some of our players, as-well as having at least some room to shop around a little. We may even restructure some contracts.

The alternative is to complete clean house, and cut Boldin saving 6 million, if we did that, we'd have enough room to make some moves, the problem is, you are losing a lot of continuity and talent doing that, and you will have to make damn sure that you draft well enough to replace those players which will be hard. So IMO the key is to avoid franchising Joe at all costs to not lose too much in the offseason.

Blog Entries

As many have already said:

If they have to franchise Joe, they've already got a plan in place.

If they re-sign Joe, they've already got a plan in place.

I said this back in August of last year, but I sincerely would NOT doubt in the least if Joe and the Ravens have already agreed to a deal in principle. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bisciotti and Ozzie told Joe Linta (Joe's agent) and Joe himself "Here is the deal we're willing to give you...you'd be one of the top paid QB's of all time and one of the top paid players in t he league of all time. Earn it."

They had no cap room this year though, so they wouldn't have been able to extend Joe anyway...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    As many have already said:

If they have to franchise Joe, they've already got a plan in place.

If they re-sign Joe, they've already got a plan in place.

I said this back in August of last year, but I sincerely would NOT doubt in the least if Joe and the Ravens have already agreed to a deal in principle. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bisciotti and Ozzie told Joe Linta (Joe's agent) and Joe himself "Here is the deal we're willing to give you...you'd be one of the top paid QB's of all time and one of the top paid players in t he league of all time. Earn it."

They had no cap room this year though, so they wouldn't have been able to extend Joe anyway...
    If we can get Joes cap number this year to 7.5-8.5 before the deadline, we can make some decent moves this offseason, its just a big IF really.

Tbh, I'm starting to become comfortable with Courtney Upshaw as the starter next season anyway, so re-signing Kruger (as good as he is) isn't all that big of a deal, we drafted Upshaw for a reason, and have plenty of depth at OLB as it is. I would say that McKinnie and Ellerbe are guys we need to bring back though, simple because we have very limited options to replace them, apart from through the draft, which isn't always the best formula to fill your needs, most rookies just aren't ready.

Blog Entries

Whatever happens here are our team needs in order.

(Assuming, Leach, Jacoby, Birk, Williams, retire/cut. Also assuming Reed, Kruger, and Kemoeatu are the key FAs that aren't retained. Finally it is assuming that Flacco gets franchise tagged, while McKinnie and Ellerbe are re-signed. Boldin and Oher get contract extensions, while Suggs and Ngata have contract restructures.)

Top team needs:
    1. Safety (Immediate starter needed)
    2. NT (Upgrade over Cody needed)
    3. TE (An immediate starter next to Pitta needed)
    4. ILB (An upgrade over Jameel McClain/McClellan/Bynes needed next to Ellerbe)
    5. OT (A future replacement at LT needed for McKinnie)
    6. DE (Someone to push Art Jones, and McPhee for a starting place next season)
    7. WR (Someone to push Tandon Doss for the #3 WR posistion next season)
    8. KR/PR (Someone to push Deonte Thompson, Asa Jackson, and Tandon Doss for that job next season.)
    9. OG/OC (Someone to push Gino for the starting posistion at C next season, depth either way is needed.)
    10. FB (Someone to replace the cut Leach, but will only be used in sub packages in Caldwells new installed offense.)
    11. CB (Depth needed, insurance may be required if Webb isn't the same.)
    12. OLB (Depth behind Upshaw and Suggs needed.)
    13. QB (Someone to push Tyrod Taylor for the back up QB job next season.)
    14. HB (An upgrade or competition is required for the #3 RB job next season.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If we can get Joes cap number this year to 7.5-8.5 before the deadline, we can make some decent moves this offseason, its just a big IF really.

Tbh, I'm starting to become comfortable with Courtney Upshaw as the starter next season anyway, so re-signing Kruger (as good as he is) isn't all that big of a deal, we drafted Upshaw for a reason, and have plenty of depth at OLB as it is. I would say that McKinnie and Ellerbe are guys we need to bring back though, simple because we have very limited options to replace them, apart from through the draft, which isn't always the best formula to fill your needs, most rookies just aren't ready.
    Well, even if they don't or can't resign Kruger, luckily this draft has some decent talent at pass rusher from the 1st round all the way down through the 5th and 6th rounds.

Some of the more less-known pass rushers:
    Trent Murphy, Stanford, 6'6" 260lbs
    John Simon, Ohio State, 6'2" 255lbs
    Brandon Jenkins, Florida State, 6'3" 260lbs (This guy would have been a possible 1st round pick had he not broke his foot early last season)
    Sean Porter, Texas AM, 6'2" 235lbs (can play ILB as well...he really did well as a 3-4 rush OLB though...Texas AM switched to a 4-3 this past year)
    Travardo Williams, UCONN, 6'2" 233lbs (Pure pass rusher)
    Travis Long, Washington State, 6'4" 253lbs (kind of a poor man's Kruger...IMO)
    Dan Giordano, Cinci, 6'4" 260lbs (Athletic, quick twitch, inconsistent...maybe a late round flier)
    Ronald Powell, Florida 6'4" 245lbs (Athletic, inconsistent, has some knee concerns though...)

Blog Entries

Well, even if they don't or can't resign Kruger, luckily this draft has some decent talent at pass rusher from the 1st round all the way down through the 5th and 6th rounds.

Some of the more less-known pass rushers:
    Trent Murphy, Stanford, 6'6" 260lbs
    John Simon, Ohio State, 6'2" 255lbs
    Brandon Jenkins, Florida State, 6'3" 260lbs (This guy would have been a possible 1st round pick had he not broke his foot early last season)
    Sean Porter, Texas AM, 6'2" 235lbs (can play ILB as well...he really did well as a 3-4 rush OLB though...Texas AM switched to a 4-3 this past year)
    Travardo Williams, UCONN, 6'2" 233lbs (Pure pass rusher)
    Travis Long, Washington State, 6'4" 253lbs (kind of a poor man's Kruger...IMO)
    Dan Giordano, Cinci, 6'4" 260lbs (Athletic, quick twitch, inconsistent...maybe a late round flier)
    Ronald Powell, Florida 6'4" 245lbs (Athletic, inconsistent, has some knee concerns though...)
    Yeah John Simon is my favorite out of the lot, he would be a good depth player and a decent situational pass rusher to start with.

You also have to look at guys like Michael McAdoo and Adrian Hamilton that we currently have on the roster, both are obviously very raw, but carry huge amounts of potential.

Blog Entries

This team has made it known they plan to play young players and let no "integral" vets go. As much as I dont feel Upshaw is ready for that role yet, hell likely be the guy unless they deem Kruger essential to success.

Him or maybe McAdoo gets that pass rushing role? Anybody heard about his progress? Ive seen him around NO, seems to be walking fine but doesnt look like he added much weight either.

Also Streeter looks like he might have added some upper body strength.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...f-0190d460a581
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    This team has made it known they plan to play young players and let no "integral" vets go. As much as I dont feel Upshaw is ready for that role yet, hell likely be the guy unless they deem Kruger essential to success.

Him or maybe McAdoo gets that pass rushing role? Anybody heard about his progress? Ive seen him around NO, seems to be walking fine but doesnt look like he added much weight either.

Also Streeter looks like he might have added some upper body strength.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...f-0190d460a581
    So Jarret Johnson was not ready for all the years he played sam for us? Upshaw on film has to me looked just as good as JJ did playing sam in the snaps he's had this year, his run defense is stout.

Blog Entries

So Jarret Johnson was not ready for all the years he played sam for us? Upshaw on film has to me looked just as good as JJ did playing sam in the snaps he's had this year, his run defense is stout.
    hes been playing on the line just as much if not more. I was just watching them break down film on Upshaw this morning, not setting the edge and being out of position, which "he cannot do against Kaepernick". I dont want to hear the exaggeration that hes as good as JJ already. Hes not. Hes plent good already and enough to be there now and will only improve but that doesnt mean hes as good already, as arguably the best in the league was after 9 years.

I was talking about Kruger and the Passrush. We have Kruger because JJ couldnt pass rush. We lose Kruger, now Upshaws expected to do both, which no, he hasnt really shown an ability to do yet, but like i said, well trust him to step up or another player. Its the way the teams is moving forward.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I'm hoping that an off-season with the Ravens will help Upshaw drop some weight and become more explosive.

Blog Entries

I'm hoping that an off-season with the Ravens will help Upshaw drop some weight and become more explosive.
    if we lose Kruger i would expect that to be the direction they go. Theyll need him to be more of that quick twitch pass rusher than what he is currently.
    -JAB

What the hell has that comment got to do with Johnson?