Page 31 of 333 FirstFirst ... 2930313233 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    The discussion is a few pages old, but for a late round QB target, I really like Sean Renfree out of Duke.

Great size, good arm, decent mobility. Put up excellent numbers considering the lack of talent he had around him.

He was also coached by one of the best QB developers there is.
    I don't think Sean Renfree is going to be drafted, but he would definitely be a very high priority UDFA for me. As you said, you gotta like that he was coached by the same guy who developed the Manning brothers. I haven't really watched any Duke games but he's got good measurables... don't like all the INTs though.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Good point. I like their wide receiver as well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Conner Vernon is a good player. I would like to get him in the 5th round, hopefully we'll have a number of compensatory picks this year to pile up the mid-round guys...

Speaking of mid-round wide receivers, would you guys take a chance on Marquess Wilson in the 4th or 5th round? A lot of people are scared off of him because of what happened with the coaching staff in Washington State, but honestly Mike Leach is such a scumbag that I wouldn't want to play for him either... not sure how much I'd hold that against him... think Wilson could be a really good fit for a lot of NFL offenses.

Blog Entries

Does anybody know much about TJ Johnson out of South Carolina? Big mauling center, but he doesn't really seem to get much coverage? I thought he'd be at least a mid round prospect by this year...

Blog Entries

My issue with Wilson is that he is a bean pole.

Now, Randy Moss was a very lean 6'4" 205lb receiver...Wilson is about 25lbs lighter than that. He is VERY skinny.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Does anybody know much about TJ Johnson out of South Carolina? Big mauling center, but he doesn't really seem to get much coverage? I thought he'd be at least a mid round prospect by this year...
    I watched Johnson vs. Florida. He's definitely mid round talent like you say. Really good size but I wasn't impressed with his power. Got to 2nd level okay IIRC but didn't do much when he got there.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I watched Johnson vs. Florida. He's definitely mid round talent like you say. Really good size but I wasn't impressed with his power. Got to 2nd level okay IIRC but didn't do much when he got there.
    Right, thanks for that. Bearing in mind that he's coming up against more talented teams and players in the SEC. I'm still a big fan of Federick being a Wisconsin guy primarily, but I'm not sure if he's a good fit at all if we want to go all in on the ZBS. Mario Benevides would be better for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I don't think Sean Renfree is going to be drafted, but he would definitely be a very high priority UDFA for me. As you said, you gotta like that he was coached by the same guy who developed the Manning brothers. I haven't really watched any Duke games but he's got good measurables...
    And a warning for those who care about such things...Renfree has been described as a "quiet leader".
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Right, thanks for that. Bearing in mind that he's coming up against more talented teams and players in the SEC. I'm still a big fan of Federick being a Wisconsin guy primarily, but I'm not sure if he's a good fit at all if we want to go all in on the ZBS. Mario Benevides would be better for that.

I agree with Frederick and ZBS. Dude is very powerful and could become the highest non-tackle OL drafted in 2014 he stays. Guess we'll see what the new OC has planned for the OL

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    My issue with Wilson is that he is a bean pole.

Now, Randy Moss was a very lean 6'4" 205lb receiver...Wilson is about 25lbs lighter than that. He is VERY skinny.
    He is definitely crazy thin, but he has the frame to put on weight at the NFL level. Like a lot of other talented college WRs, the coaches don't ask them to really hit the weight room hard at all. He has the kind of body control and ball tracking skills that you really can't teach... I'd rather have a guy with those skills who needs a year in the strength and conditioning program than a jacked up guy who doesn't understand the mechanics of the WR position.

Just go back and look at Devin Thomas and Limas Sweed... 2 of everybody's favorite WRs from the 08 draft, both of them were Combine/weight room heroes, neither one of them panned out at WR cause they were used to outmuscling everybody at the college level and had no technique and no real skillset.

Wilson also has never been injured in college IIRC despite making a lot of catches in traffic.

And a warning for those who care about such things...Renfree has been described as a "quiet leader".
    Not necessarily saying I want a Philip Rivers/Tom Brady kind of "rah rah" guy if we choose to go in a different direction at QB, but as much as I mocked people in the past for pointing out Flacco's quiet demeanor/lack of "leadership," it was really hard to watch him strolling the sidelines on Sunday and sitting on the bench by himself... looking disinterested and like nothing was going on at all... I don't question a guy's mental state but he certainly was not showing the outward signs you expect a truly competitive guy to show.

Blog Entries

McPhee has spent half the year injured, while Art Jones has only been a starter for some games. Not hard to put up better stats than players that are injured or rotational players when your an every down starter for a team that has it's defense out on the field 80 % of the time.
    OUR defense has been out there for 80% of the time too! Lol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    OUR defense has been out there for 80% of the time too! Lol.
    True lol

Mid round WRs that I like: Mississippi State's Chad Bumphis, Tennessee's Zach Rogers and SMU's Darius Johnson.

I'll have a higher valued WR in at least one version of my January mock.

Blog Entries

Mid round WRs that I like: Mississippi State's Chad Bumphis, Tennessee's Zach Rogers and SMU's Darius Johnson.

I'll have a higher valued WR in at least one version of my January mock.
    Bumphis is intriguing.

I like Emory Blake out of Auburn, Markus Wheaton out of Oregon State, and possibly Roy Roundtree out of Michigan. I think Roundtree is pretty underrated as a receiver. He never had a real QB to throw him the ball and was always in a gadget offense.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.