Page 109 of 333 FirstFirst ... 107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,297 to 1,308 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, he isn't a speedy guy...but neither are Marcedes Lewis and Anthony Fasano, yet they're not too bad.

Again, I'm not looking at a guy like Williams as someone who is going to come in and stretch the middle of the field like Pitta or Vernon Davis. I'm looking at a guy who can come in here and be somewhat of a poor-man's Pettigrew. Good blocker. Solid receiver. Red zone threat.
    You and I have just about the same requirements. I just added speed.

In this Draft there are guys that block due to scheme, catch and high-point well, and have tremendous height...AND it just so happens that they project as guys with 4.7 - 4.8 speed. Those are the guys, I called out. They are potentially every-situation TEs. That's definitely something to get excited about. Who the heck can defend a "Flacco-to-Boldin jump ball vs. IND" type of pass to a 6'5/6'6 TE that's not much slower than Boldin himself? And if that same guy can also pancake the OLB on a stretch run inside the RZ...that's even better. I just don't think we will pass up a guy like that.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    And those are things you cant coach. Ill take lesser talented guys who haul ass any day of the week over talented guys with poor work ethic.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Having a guy who can play the Corey Redding tertiary pass rusher role would be very nice. Vellano could fill that roll at some point down the road.

Ok, to take our mind off the game tomorrow (and to also remind us how blessed we are to be Raven fans....that the draft isn't the foremost concern on our mind....here is my mock draft).

1st round- Kevin Minter-LB-LSU
    2nd round- Oday Aboushi- LT- Virginia( Baltimore trades it's 5th round pick to move up 3-4 spots to draft him)
    3rd round- Baccari Rambo- S- Georgia
    3rd round (supplemental)- Tyran Matthieus- CB-LSU
    4th round- Larry Black Jr- DT- Indiana
    5th round- traded to move up to get Aboushi
    5th round (supplemental)- Ronald Leary- OT/G- Memphis
    6th round- Michael Williams-TE-Alabama
    6th round (supplemental)- Kenny Tate-OLB- Maryland
    7th round- Joe Madsen-C- West Virginia
    7th round (supplemental)- Javon Harris-S- Oklahoma

What are your thoughts?

Minter, Aboushi, and Rambo all become instant starters at the 3 spots most likely to be available heading into the draft.

Matthieu is the #5 CB behind Webb, Smith, Grham, and Chykie, but can play special teams with an eye on a bigger role in 2014.

Black fills the 7th Defensive Line position, with an eye on some serious snaps alongside Ngata in 2014, when Cody, and possibly Art Jones, won't be back.

Leary becomes our #7 O-lineman and 2nd reserve behind Jah Reid.

Madsen would be in a battle for a roster spot, but might make it due to only one true C being on the 13 roster (Gradkowski-the presumed starter)

Michael Williams would have the #3 TE spot locked up and would see the field quite often in 2013, given his value as a blocker in goal-line, short yardage situations.

Tate would be in an all-out numbers battle for a spot on the 53.

Harris is a very underrated prospect, and would be battling with Emanuel Cook/Omar Brown for 1 or 2 roster spots (depending on what the Ravens do with bringing back Ighedibo). You have to figure Christian Thompson is safe for a roster spot.

I would pretty much love that draft...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I would pretty much love that draft...
    Thank you. I don't think I'm being too unrealistic where I'm slotting these guys too. Michael Williams still being there when we pick in the 6th round is probably the biggest stretch I see. Aboushi to reach into the 55-60 range is probably a bit optimistic as well. If we could somehow make this draft happen and make some decent signings/resignings in Free Agency, we just flipped the oldest roster in the NFL to one with 85-90% of it's players in their 20s....all without taking a drastic dip in talent either. I am thinking we will probably keep Anquan/Kruger/Ellerbe and have to part ways with Jacoby, Jameel, Cary, McKinnie and Reed. Birk and Lewis retire. I'm thinking keeping Ighedibo might make some sense too, provided he carries the same cheap price tag as he did this past year.

I'd rather part ways with Anquan then Jacoby at this point. I'd also rather part ways with Kruger.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I'd rather part ways with Anquan then Jacoby at this point. I'd also rather part ways with Kruger.
    It's a tough choice either way. They both won't be back...that's for almost sure. I think Boldin is far ahead of Jacoby as a receiver, though, and that's where his value is harder to replicate. I think it's easier to move Doss up to replace Jones than it is to move Jones up to replace Boldin and bring Doss up to replace Jones. I think that the Ravens need to do something about his $6 million base salary this year...that won't work. Assuming he restructures/re-signs, Boldin is the bigger piece of our puzzle of success.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    It's a tough choice either way. They both won't be back...that's for almost sure. I think Boldin is far ahead of Jacoby as a receiver, though, and that's where his value is harder to replicate. I think it's easier to move Doss up to replace Jones than it is to move Jones up to replace Boldin and bring Doss up to replace Jones. I think that the Ravens need to do something about his $6 million base salary this year...that won't work. Assuming he restructures/re-signs, Boldin is the bigger piece of our puzzle of success.
    Besides Jacoby, our special teams have been downright TERRIBLE since Harbs has been here... SO his vlaue there is hard to replace.

I really think the move is extension/cap reductions on JJ, Leach and Boldin. Maybe 3 year deals each, counting next year. It would help allow some flexibility.

At this point, I'm simply thinking that Kruger will be FAR overvalued in FA. I alos think it's more likely that Upshaw improves as a passrusher as compred to Kruger improving in coverage and agaisnt the run. I think the combo of Hamilton/Macadoo can probably add some third down rush abilities as well. I'm nearly to the point of being completely disinterested in EVEN TRYING to retain kruger.

Vellano just made a hell of swim move to almost grab a sack

I remember someone posting a thread on Keith Pough (Local kid from Howard U)

OLB Keith Pough, Howard (6016, 241 -- West Team)
    With his performance on the practice field this week and through talking to NFL scouts, putting Pough at No. 1 was the easiest decision on this list. He showed off his natural athleticism and coordination during drills, and while he has room to get stronger, his aggressive and violent playing style was impressive. Pough's physical attributes stand out, but so does his approach to the game. He brings a non-stop motor and competitive attitude to the defense, regardless if it's practice or a game. Although he's still a tad rough around the edges, Pough is a player on the rise and it wouldn't be a shock if he ends up as one of the first players drafted from this year's Shrine Game.

Vellano with a sack (may have been AJ Francis)

Great mock LukeDaniel, been working on one myself and i have a few of the same people...

1-Kevin Minter LB LSU
    2-Justin Pugh LT Syracuse
    3-Baccarri Rambo FS Georgia
    4-Brandon Williams NT/DT Missou Southern St.
    4-Ace Sanders WR South Carolina *Compensatory*
    5-Michael Williams TE Alabama
    5-Devonte Holloman LB South Carolina
    6-Keith Pugh OLB Howard
    6-Brad Sorensen QB Southern Utah *compensatory*
    7-Matt Stankiewitch C Penn St.
    7-Greg Reid CB Valdosta St. *compensatory*

-Count me in on the Minter train, him and Ellerbe(crosses fingers lol)would be a formidable tandem

-Pugh is a legit LT prospect that as played in a pro style pass offense, really just needs to bulk up a bit, reminds of Joe Staley

-Rambo i think is being undervalued, i think he's a day 1 starter, has the range, physicality, play making ability and he's decisive

-Williams i think has huge upside, can play the Nose or 5 tech, needs some grooming but i think CB can make him a player

-Ace Sanders is an explosive compact guy who i think can be that chain moving slot guy

-Michael Williams give us a blocker presence at TE and a red zone threat either as a receiver or blocker

-Holloman is a former SS, physical guy, can be that nickel LB we need but has some upside to be more in time

-Pugh is a explosive developmental edge rusher

-Sorensen is a former BYU guy that has the tools to be a nice backup, could also allow the team to use Tyrod in special packages

-Stankiewitch is a rock solid guy that could possibly be a long term back to Gino

-Reid is a former Florida St. corner that was dismissed from school, coming off injury but has upside as a slot corner and KR depth

Please guys share any thoughts, criticisms, critiques
    Last edited by Carey; 01-19-2013 at 07:11 PM.