Page 123 of 333 FirstFirst ... 121122123124125 ... LastLast
Results 1,465 to 1,476 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Very true, but how many of us saw the Niners taking AJ Jenkins in the 1st round last year?
    True. There are always numerous shocker picks in the 1st round that make this whole business a giant crapshoot.

I'll tell you what, I really did not like AJ Jenkins as a prospect and I made my feelings known. I felt pretty stupid when the 49ers made him a 1st round pick thinking they had seen something I did not. But he came into camp out of shape and lost, was a healthy scratch I believe the entire regular season, and is now behind Chad Hall on the depth chart (5'8 UDFA from Air Force signed by the 49ers just a week or two ago).

I don't feel as stupid anymore. Pretty sure that was the worst pick of the 1st, even worse than Bruce Irvin.

Blog Entries

There is nobody in this draft I'd trade up for apart from Star Louteilei or Johnathan Hankins. I think Matt Elam or Barrett Jones are just about the safest picks for us. I'd probably take Eric Reid in the 2nd round if I was considering to trade back.

At 31 or 32, it costs a whole lot to move up to the mid rounds. They'd be better served moving to the early second and collecting what they can.

Out of Barrett Jones, Manti Te'o, Kenny Vaccaro, Matt Elam, Barrett Jones, Margus Hunt, Eiffert, Ertz, Minter... someone's due to fall low. Just like Upshaw fell to us, just like Jimmy Smith fell to us, just like Torrey and Ray Rice did as well. The great thing about having a balanced team is that you can always just take the best player available without having to worry too much about positional needs. So that's why we can grab so much first round talent in later rounds.

reference: http://www.mynfldraft.com/points.php

Man, I was hoping Marquise Goodwin would be a good option for us in the 5th round or so...but from the reports down there, he likely is moving up a round or 2.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Flynn isn't a FA. He's under contract in Seattle. They might cut him, but they don't necessarily have to.

Other FA QB's...

Matt Moore
    Jason Campbell
    Rex Grossman
    Byron Leftwich
    Tarvaris Jackson
    Matt Leinart
    Chase Daniels
    Bruce Gradkowski

Slim pickings...
    True, but the Ravens could use a backup QB. I'm not sold on Taylor being a good enough alternative!

Blog Entries

We could always look at signing Matt Moore as back up QB, depending on the price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Man, I was hoping Marquise Goodwin would be a good option for us in the 5th round or so...but from the reports down there, he likely is moving up a round or 2.
    Maybe...maybe not. Keep in mind, there are still a lot of guys who will be at the combine who are underclassmen.

Also, Goodwin is pretty tiny. Not that his size makes him less valuable, but there are limitations and I don't know that many teams would take him before the 3rd round. Tavon Austin may drop as well.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    True, but the Ravens could use a backup QB. I'm not sold on Taylor being a good enough alternative!
    Well, is Tyrod a good fit for the offense that Flacco predominately runs? Probably not.

However, I'd like to think that if Flacco were to not be able to play and Tyrod were in the game, Caldwell would have plays/packages designed to utilize Taylor's strengths.

If they want a QB that fits more along the lines of Flacco, then they probably should be looking at Jason Campbell.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Maybe...maybe not. Keep in mind, there are still a lot of guys who will be at the combine who are underclassmen.

Also, Goodwin is pretty tiny. Not that his size makes him less valuable, but there are limitations and I don't know that many teams would take him before the 3rd round. Tavon Austin may drop as well.
    I'd much rather go with Austin over Goodwin. Maybe that's just my familiarity but I've seen Austin beat up on bigger corners (route-wise) in college, haven't seen that from Goodwin yet.

Well, is Tyrod a good fit for the offense that Flacco predominately runs? Probably not.

However, I'd like to think that if Flacco were to not be able to play and Tyrod were in the game, Caldwell would have plays/packages designed to utilize Taylor's strengths.

If they want a QB that fits more along the lines of Flacco, then they probably should be looking at Jason Campbell.
    I think the whole thinking behind Tyrod is that if Flacco were to go down for a game or two, teams would have a hard time preparing for the kind of gameplan that Tyrod would be running. Just the novelty alone probably gives you a shot to steal a game or two. If Flacco goes down with a serious injury it doesn't matter anyway because that season is shot.

No interest IMO in going out and getting a backup QB on the open market. They can't spare the money. I'd rather just see them spend another 6th or 7th round pick on a more pure drop-back type QB, maybe somebody who flies under the radar because of playing at a small school or whatever. (Sean Renfree? Brad Sorenson? There are several good options out there.) Develop him and see what he can turn into.

For center depth, Joe Madsen from WVU has had a very solid day in one on ones. He could be a nice 5-7 round pickup for depth purposes. He's big and squat, exactly what you want from a center.

How much cap room do we open up after Ray, Bobbie Williams, and Birk retire?