Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Harbs presser after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    That was horrible too, but by that point did anyone expect any less? I mean the rookie QB's rookie backup just swung an 8 point final second comeback. Untouched!
    Yeah. After letting them drive 85 yds (plus extra yds on penalties) in 3 minutes, score a 2 pt conversion, go 3 and out on the first OT possession, I was sure as ever the team was about to lose one way or another. When he returned the punt I was not the least bit surprised or upset

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Harbaugh has no people skills.
    HARBS said we must bounce back.

NO shit Sherlock.

Harbs week in and week out says about the same thing.

THIS IS NOT A "" it is just an observation..

Talks about the defense and says some details.

Talks about the Offense. Well have to look at the game film.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=houstonravensfan;532902]
    Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    This is a very accurate statement.

The Ravens have a slightly above average QB, a below average offensive coordinator & one pro bowl running back. Their skill players are at best average and their OL has one (now injured) very good player. They are the 4th or 5th best team in the AFC and could just as easily be 6-7 or 5-8 right now.

Ozzie and DeCosta have whiffed and not put together a roster that is capable of overcoming injuries & making an impact. Defensively they've missed on a bunch picks and their philosophy of taking guys off the street to play LB has backfired. Josh Bynes is the best we can do? Really Ozzie?

I'd say that the franchise is coming to a pretty significant fork in the road. With the roster that they have, for the first time in a very long time I'm not terribly optimistic. I see a lot of holes.[/
    QUOTE]

IMHO, Ozzie's OVERALL record is superb. But, there's no way I can disagree with the passage I bolded above. Has he been in the job so long he's gone stale. Has success sort of gone to his head, so he believes he can build with UDFAs? Injuries? Sure. But all teams suffer injuries.
    Well if you look at the track record Ozzie has with picking UDFA and making them into good players it's hard to argue. Some of the problem I see is that yes Ozzie got to comfortable with just going after guys he thought could be developed into decent players. Ozzie also HAD a good coaching core that developed those players into starting caliber defenders. How many UDFA's left this team to go get big contracts somewhere and wide up being mediocre. Why do you think that is? Ozzie has been so successful with these guys because of the coaching that surrounded them. Well guess what that core coaching staff (especially defense) has set sail and now we have a vanilla scheme and the play calling is questionable more than not.
    When Ozzie had Chuck Pagano, Rex Ryan, Vic Fangio, Mike Pettine.......to name a few coaching and teaching these guys how to play football. John Harbaugh did little to try to retain Vic and Pettine just followed Rex. Either way that was a good Defensive coaching staff, now we have a coaching staff that roast mallo's by the camp fire during the off season and sign songs. We now have John's besties as a coaching staff. Chuck left and so did the fire that this team once had, even when Mattison was here with his vanilla shit Chuck still pumped the boys up. Now we just have ahh lets go play some football men, here is your shovel and shield.
    This team lacks that swagger that it once had and it lacks that coaching staff that could develop UDFA's and make them look like stars. UDFA's that made good players, FA's that came here and resurged their careers.

The coaching staff that made these players look good by coaching them and putting them into position to play well. The teams play with no emotion and it starts with the HC and just gets even worse with the Maggo's (Cam and Pees).

It also has to do with how many of these guys (with little starting experience) are on the field at the same time.

It isn't a linear progression, where having 1 inexperienced guy = X dropoff, 2 guys = 2X dropoff, 3 = 3X, etc. It is a bit exponential. There is some critical mass reached whereby there are not enough experienced studs out there to keep order or cover up for the number of inexperienced guys and your whole unit starts to become rapidly and drastically worse with each additional backup that is forced to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    It also has to do with how many of these guys (with little starting experience) are on the field at the same time.

It isn't a linear progression, where having 1 inexperienced guy = X dropoff, 2 guys = 2X dropoff, 3 = 3X, etc. It is a bit exponential. There is some critical mass reached whereby there are not enough experienced studs out there to keep order or cover up for the number of inexperienced guys and your whole unit starts to become rapidly and drastically worse with each additional backup that is forced to play.
    I agree.
    Thats what happened on the 2 pt conversion. It was an obvious Qb draw by the formation and the players on the feild. If we have Ray or Suggs on the feild they know that. Why we called TO thier was dumb, as they had none and had to scramble for a play and allowed them to set it up. Bad coaching and inexperienced players.

Blog Entries

Absolutely, but it doesn't help the fact that the Defensive coaching is not what it use to be. Rightfully so these guys left for the next best thing, but there was little done to find that next DC with fire to get a staff in here to develop guys. Dean Pees was not the answer by a long shot. I know we are hurt, but guess what look North West, that shit stain of team that we can't stand has had many key injuries to their defense as well and look at what they have done this year.
    Perm out for many games, Woodley out games, Harrison still recovering. You know why they are still number one (yes they have played cellar Offenses) but they are coached very well. I never seen a Ravens Defense miss so many tackles and play so effortless at times, some of these guys fly around I got it, but they play very undisciplined and that is from poor coaching. A par defense that schemes and plays disciplined football can seem better than what they are.
    I'm not disagreeing with the lack of knowledgable players / real starters, but if the players are buying in then they go on the field fired up to make a play and they are coached and ready to make plays, not sitting out there hesitant and lost. For the most part these guys are 230+ LB's, they should be strong enough to stop a QB sneak if they go after the play right and do not hesitate because they are unsure of themselves.
    Last edited by Sua Sponte; 12-10-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleRaven View Post
    Harbs and his high school level coaching staff will never take this team to a Super Bowl. He also has no coaching skills and should fire himself. Then maybe he can be hired back as the special teams coach as they sure need one.
    other then the Punt return in OT the Ravens have had by far the best special teams unit in the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    He doesnt know the rules of the game. He wasted a timeout for no reason. He has Joe at 3rd and 5 with EMPTY backfield and Joe gets hit and throws a pick. NEVER EVER EVER go empty backfeild with this line especially when you have Ray Rice. He takes the ball in OT instead of kicking, against a rookie QB on top of that. Harbaugh is an idiot. SOS, game after game.
    doesnt know the rules of the game? ill give you the clock management at the end of the 1st half was horrible but to say we should have kicked in overtime instead of received is just dumb. when ever you win the coin toss in OT you take the ball 100% of the time. I dont think I have ever seen a team elect to kick in overtime

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Isn't it amazing that no one has brought that up at any point today?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    No one had brought up the punt return in OT that led to the game winning FG for the Skins because everyone realizes the obvious:

The game never should have gone to OT.
    When it did, no one was shocked that we lost.
    If anything, we were expecting that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Well, John, I am disheartened that you constantly take a knee, with timeouts to spare, at the end of quarters, instead of trying to put extra points on the board.
    Amen to that. Why not take some shots downfield? Maybe they break a big run and then hit a pass play to try a field goal. Harbs is not the guy who will lead this team to the "promise land".

Under old rules everyone, or almost everyone, chose to receive in OT because it was sudden death. Here are the exceptions, usually because of heinous weather:

http://quirkyresearch.blogspot.com/2...coin-toss.html

But the new kickoff and overtime rules certainly make the decision a bit closer, and make kicking it away a lot easier to rationalize. If you think the defenses will outplay the offenses, you could decide that if you kickoff, you will get the ball back in better field position with only a FG to make to win it. If you receive you can't win with a FG, and if you go three and out the other team can win with a FG and will likely start with good field position.

But in general, I agree, it is tough to make a choice where it is possible you will not touch the ball in OT before losing (kicking off and letting them drive the length for a TD).

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    doesnt know the rules of the game? ill give you the clock management at the end of the 1st half was horrible but to say we should have kicked in overtime instead of received is just dumb. when ever you win the coin toss in OT you take the ball 100% of the time. I dont think I have ever seen a team elect to kick in overtime
    With the new rules, it better to be on defense first in OT. Provided you stop them from scoring a TD. Plus, they where using a rookie QB with 11 passes thrown. Its similar to college its better to have the ball last.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Under old rules everyone, or almost everyone, chose to receive in OT because it was sudden death. Here are the exceptions, usually because of heinous weather:

http://quirkyresearch.blogspot.com/2...coin-toss.html

But the new kickoff and overtime rules certainly make the decision a bit closer, and make kicking it away a lot easier to rationalize. If you think the defenses will outplay the offenses, you could decide that if you kickoff, you will get the ball back in better field position with only a FG to make to win it. If you receive you can't win with a FG, and if you go three and out the other team can win with a FG and will likely start with good field position.

But in general, I agree, it is tough to make a choice where it is possible you will not touch the ball in OT before losing (kicking off and letting them drive the length for a TD).
    If you are facing Brady or Manning I take the ball to start OT, not Rookie Cousins.

Blog Entries

You know what a great coach would have said tonight? He would have told the media that, this was a gutless performance on his part as a head coach and that he will take full resposnsibility for this chicken shit balls less approach. Thats what that coward of a coach harbaugh should have said.