Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Conspiracy - Or Not?

This may come from out of left field, so excuse me if this sounds like I should be fitted for a tin foil hat or am seeing the little black helicopters. I work here in DC (but live on the Baltimore side of the DMZ) and use the Metro to get to work. WMATA (those good folks who run the Metro) does some sort of track work every weekend and will be doing so for a few years under a capital improvement program. Every week, they close off a certain portion of the Metro system for the entire weekend to work. To make allowances for these closings, they usually have bus service workarounds or single track which causes crazy long waits and delays.

WMATA usually announces the given weekend's closings in the middle of each week. This week, they announced closings on the Green Line (the upper portion of the L'Enfant Plaza station that connects to the Blue Line, which as you guessed it, takes you to FedEx) and the Red Line from Silver Spring to Fort Totten. As coincidence may have it, these are the Northeastern-most lines, i.e,, the lines that would be accessed by those who would be coming from Baltimore if they wanted to take the Metro as opposed to dealing with the traffic nightmare near the stadium. The lines coming from Montgomery County, Virginia and Prince George's County? No closures. No delays.

Makes me wonder if WMATA wanted to try to give the Skins a little home cookin'. OK, irrational rant over, taking off the tin foil hat now!

Re: Conspiracy - Or Not?

If you're paying $150 or more for one of those tickets, there's no way you're missing it due to some transportation delays. Plus, hardly anybody uses the metro to get the Redskins games. The station is so far away from the stadium, and the capacity is too small for game day.

It's like relying on the Light Rail to get you to M&T Bank Stadium on game day.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    If you're paying $150 or more for one of those tickets, there's no way you're missing it due to some transportation delays. Plus, hardly anybody uses the metro to get the Redskins games. The station is so far away from the stadium, and the capacity is too small for game day.

It's like relying on the Light Rail to get you to M&T Bank Stadium on game day.
    Morgan Boulevard Metro Station is .8 mile from FedEx. Harborplace to M&T is about that distance (maybe even longer) and I know many people that park near the harbor and walk to M&T.

No Conspiracy, just the usual muddle that is DC Metro. The wife used to take Metro to work every weekday and sometimes we'd use it on weekends for non-work trips downtown. She is more than familiar with their inefficiency and mind-boggling decisions. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard her curse "Metro sucks!".

Can't tell you how many times I've found myself saying the same exact thing, my friend. But it definitely beats the alternative of sitting in D.C. traffic for hours on end.

Quote Originally Posted by da Blackbird View Post
    Morgan Boulevard Metro Station is .8 mile from FedEx. Harborplace to M&T is about that distance (maybe even longer) and I know many people that park near the harbor and walk to M&T.
    But at least then you get to walk through the beautiful inner harbor. Not just walk through the middle of nowhere.

Sounds like a conspiricy to me.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Um, sounds like you need to make acquaintance with Hanlon's Razor, m'man:
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    Not that I'm suggesting you cut your throat with it or anything......