Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Cam Cameron (10 years)

Before San Diego Cam spent five years as the head coach of Indiana University - where he went 18W and 37L - before they fired him!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    Before San Diego Cam spent five years as the head coach of Indiana University - where he went 18W and 37L - before they fired him!
    who the fuck did he frame or suck to get in the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    who the fuck did he frame or suck to get in the NFL?
    I'm sure he is a very nice man and a great friend. In certain circles that means a lot more than being competent. You never heard of the good old boys? I've witnesses that management strategy run a very successful corporation straight into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    Again I never dismissed the running game. I said that his success was from the running game... and it has seemed to disappear around these parts.
    I could care less if Flacco throws 30td's for 4,000yds. If the running game is dominated so be it, but don't ignore it and don't forgot about the guy several times in certain games that we always seem to lose. His game plans suck and he can not adjust in game, if he adjust in game it is to go pass happy with long developing routes.
    Hey, I generally agree with you. I was a Cameron critic long before it was trendy around here.

And I wasn't even looking at the stats, I was just looking at how many different varieties of plays and formations and routes/runs that other teams (almost every other team) use that don't even seem to be in our play book. To me stats are not as important as this. If I see this predictability/simplicity every game and the stats show Cameron's offense is 10th, then I conclude it could/should be 5th if the offense were more like other offenses, etc. If it's 5th looking like this, then I think it could be 1st if like others. If it is 1st like this than I think it could be 1st and even more dominant like others. So to me, stats aren't that big of a deal.

But I also do somewhat agree with RavensNTerps about people's automatic assumption that Joe is a great QB being shackled by Cameron. It may be true, it may not be true, but too many people talk as if it is not only true but clearly proven (how, I have no idea).

It may be a case, especially if you assume that our vanilla offense is partly the way it is because it is "safe," that some QBs would look worse in other, riskier, more complicated, offenses than they do in Cam's (if they can't handle the quick decision-making or pre-snap reads required to run, say, a Patriots offense). Or they might look the same in Cam's as others, if they are average at the mental aspects of the game. Or of course, if they are supremely talented in all aspects of the position, they might indeed look better in other offenses (explode, even) than they do in Cam's rudimentary offense. I don't think we can safely assume that the safe, vanilla automatically is harming the QB's stats or performance. It may be it may not be.

All that said, I think the Joe-Cam stagnation (if not regression) over the least two years means we need to change up that duo. Since good QBs (let alone potentially great QBs) are infinitely harder to find than semi-accomplished OCs, Cam should be shown the door. At that point we can see how much each of those two were responsible for our "average" offense.

Well if Cam is throwing the ball 60 percent of the time he is giving Joe every opportunity to shine. Shottenheimer never ran that kind of offense. Because without a Peyton Manning it isn't going to work. Its almost like he is setting Joe up for failure with such an unbalanced scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Well if Cam is throwing the ball 60 percent of the time he is giving Joe every opportunity to shine. Shottenheimer never ran that kind of offense. Because without a Peyton Manning it isn't going to work. Its almost like he is setting Joe up for failure with such an unbalanced scheme.
    I agree the number attempts are not the issue in the way the 49ers are "safe" with Alex Smith. But I think the pass routes and pass plays are "safe" in the sense they don't require too much decision-making and they avoid the areas of the field where a mis-read can easily turn into an INT.

So to me, even if we threw every down, the design and risk-averseness and simplicity of the pass plays themselves could hold back a QB who otherwise would thrive (assuming the QB could handle the extra risk and responisibilty without making so many mistakes as to lead to worse results).

So I agree, Cam would need to change everything if he wants a pass-happy offense (which he seems to be okay with). Using a Martyball playbook but throwing it more times than running it isn't the solution.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 12-07-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I agree the number attempts are not the issue in the way the 49ers are "safe" with Alex Smith. But I think the pass routes and pass plays are "safe" in the sense they don't require too much decision-making and they avoid the areas of the field where a mis-read can easily turn into an INT. So to me, even if we threw every down, the design and risk-averse and simplicity of the pass plays themselves could hold back a QB who otherwise would thrive (assuming the QB could handle the extra risk and responisibilty without making so many mistakes as to lead to worse results)
    Right, and the simple play design means the defense knows where the receivers are going. They can sit on the routes, which is why Joe is turning into Captain Checkdown.

Cam didn't run the offense in SD. It was Marty's offense, the same one he ran in Cleveland.

Shottenheimer was very conventional. Run Run Pass Punt. Cam seems to go out of his way to do the exact opposite of what a normal play caller would do.
    From what I'd read, Cam actually ran Norv Turner's offense that was implemented in 2001, the year before Cameron arrived in SD. And I've seen news reports in which Cameron stated categorically that it was his offense, not Marty's. That's not to say there wasn't a blending or overlapping of the two styles, though.

So in reality, he's not giving Joe every opportunity to shine; he's giving Joe every opportunity to fail.

Ok ok ok.

CAM S U C K S!!!
    That is all.

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

@jeffzrebiecsun: In last 3 games, #Ravens have run just 5 total plays out of no-huddle, according to game books. Flacco would like to do it more. [Twitter]
    Wow WTF?!?!?!?!

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    Ok ok ok.

CAM S U C K S!!!
    That is all.
    Best damn sig I've ever seen!