Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 128

Thread: Suggs and Guns

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,019
    Blog Entries
    7

    Suggs and Guns



    Anyone understand this PFT article about Suggs being forced to give up guns he owned?

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ms-last-month/

    As part of ongoing domestic disputes involving Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs and the mother of his two children, Suggs was required last month to surrender several firearms, according to Justin Fenton and Jeff Zriebiec of the Baltimore Sun.

    “The guns were surrendered over to police pursuant to the court order, and they [Suggs and Candace Williams] are resolving their issues,” Suggs’ lawyer, Warren Alperstein, told the Sun. “All I can tell you is that he’s in rightful and lawful possession of the guns but turned them over pursuant to the requirements of the law.”


    So if he was is lawful possession why was he required by law to give them up? I know there are some firearms owners who live in MD on this board. Do you guys have any insight on this?
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,441
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    I can say Maryland has the worst gun laws in the country, it pretty much pisses in the face of the 2nd Amendment.

    Furthermore, I thin it is classless to write a story about a non-story. The only reason it is relevant is in wake of what happened in K.C.

    Editors should start being fired for what is being passed as journalism these days.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,929
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    I don't know the gun laws in MD but they are restrictive. Much harder to get a carry license there than other states, as I understand it.

    But yes they're just feeding off of the KC incident. Why doesn't the NFL use the opportunity to raise awareness on violence against women? That's the core of the problem, not guns.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,019
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I can say Maryland has the worst gun laws in the country, it pretty much pisses in the face of the 2nd Amendment.

    Furthermore, I thin it is classless to write a story about a non-story. The only reason it is relevant is in wake of what happened in K.C.

    Editors should start being fired for what is being passed as journalism these days.
    New York is pretty bad too. Just ask Plaxico who ended up in jail for shooting himself.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    609

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    This truly is a non-story and put Suggs in a horrible light which was totally overblown. PFT is starting to become like the National Enquirer.




  6. #6

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    As part of ongoing domestic disputes involving Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs and the mother of his two children, Suggs was required last month to surrender several firearms, according to Justin Fenton and Jeff Zriebiec of the Baltimore Sun.
    Im not really sure of the gun laws but i believe because children are involved and theyre still working things out or "disputing", one can ask for such a thing if they feel threatened. I would assume its only temporary until they come to agreement on custody and/or the "dispute/s" are over. Im sure if Suggs wanted to he could fight it, but its probably better in the courts eye if he just surrendered them. Probably only reason she or her attorneys asked is because of what happened in KC though. Again im not the best source, but to my knowledge its unlawful for them to take your guns, but its not to temporarily cease them.

    as for Silvers comments... totally agree. its a private matter that really has no bearing on anything. no reason to even report such a thing.
    -JAB




  7. #7

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    I love the national sports media.

    The guy in KC guns down his girlfriend and is a victim, but they're happy to paint Suggs as a bad guy based on one sided testimony in a custody dispute.




  8. #8

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Im not really sure of the gun laws but i believe because children are involved and theyre still working things out or "disputing", one can ask for such a thing if they feel threatened. I would assume its only temporary until they come to agreement on custody and/or the "dispute/s" are over. Im sure if Suggs wanted to he could fight it, but its probably better in the courts eye if he just surrendered them. Probably only reason she or her attorneys asked is because of what happened in KC though. Again im not the best source, but to my knowledge its unlawful for them to take your guns, but its not to temporarily cease them.

    as for Silvers comments... totally agree. its a private matter that really has no bearing on anything. no reason to even report such a thing.

    I am not sure if the incident in KC has any bearing on his wife or the wife's attorneys since Suggs surrounded the firearms last month?

    Off the point, I do not believe this is not the first time we read about a domestic issue between Suggs and his wife? Why don't they just divorce/break up already? (i know it is a simplistic view, but I just dont get it).




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    The gun issue is a non story, but what's all that crap about Suggs throwing shit at his GF and all that?




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,019
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens27Girl View Post
    This truly is a non-story and put Suggs in a horrible light which was totally overblown. PFT is starting to become like the National Enquirer.
    They picked up the story from the Sun so they're the ones you should be angry at.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,019
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The gun issue is a non story, but what's all that crap about Suggs throwing shit at his GF and all that?
    She claimed he sprayed her with bleach but changed her mind later. If there was any reason to investigate the police would have been all over that one.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,124
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    She claimed he sprayed her with bleach but changed her mind later. If there was any reason to investigate the police would have been all over that one.
    I believe everything was resolved. I remember she had a lawsuit against Suggs, but she withdrew it. Maybe Suggs paid a settlement too.




  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,735

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I believe everything was resolved. I remember she had a lawsuit against Suggs, but she withdrew it. Maybe Suggs paid a settlement too.
    Is this from the incident where she sued for 75million after he signed his 75 million dollar contract?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  14. #14

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    I am not sure if the incident in KC has any bearing on his wife or the wife's attorneys since Suggs surrounded the firearms last month?

    Off the point, I do not believe this is not the first time we read about a domestic issue between Suggs and his wife? Why don't they just divorce/break up already? (i know it is a simplistic view, but I just dont get it).
    sorry, i must have missed that. I thought he surrendered them this week, which was the point of the article. clearly theres even less point to the article.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I believe everything was resolved. I remember she had a lawsuit against Suggs, but she withdrew it. Maybe Suggs paid a settlement too.
    I think the incident that started it was resolved but it sounds like theyre figuring out custody of the kids, which is still considered a "dispute" i believe.
    -JAB




  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Suggs and Guns

    Ask and ye shall receive...

    Firearm Prohibitions for Persons Subject to Domestic Violence Restraining/Protective Orders

    In Maryland, persons named as a respondent against whom a “non ex parte civil protective order” has been issued are prohibited from possessing a handgun or assault weapon.3 Moreover, no person may sell, rent or transfer a handgun or assault weapon to a person who is subject to a current “non ex parte civil protective order” issued pursuant to Md. Code Ann., Fam. Law § 4-506.4 Federal law also prohibits the purchase and possession of firearms and ammunition by certain domestic violence protective order defendants.

    Removal or Surrender of Firearms When Domestic Violence Restraining/Protective Orders Are Issued

    A final domestic violence protective order issued under Maryland Code Ann., Family Law § 4-506 must order the person subject to the order to surrender to law enforcement any firearm in his or her possession, and to refrain from possession of any firearm for the duration of the protective order.5

    Maryland authorizes, but does not require, courts issuing temporary domestic violence protective orders to require the subject of such order to surrender all firearms in the person’s possession and require that the person refrain from gun possession for the duration of the temporary order.6 The court may order the surrender of guns in these instances if the abuse consisted of:

    Use of a firearm by the respondent against the person to be protected;

    Threat by the respondent to use a firearm against the person to be protected;

    Serious bodily harm by the respondent to a person to be protected; or

    Threat by the respondent to cause serious bodily harm to a person to be protected.7

    Law enforcement receiving a firearm lawfully surrendered must transport and store the firearm safely while the protective order is in effect.8 Maryland law addresses the retaking of possession of the firearm at the expiration of a protective order.9

    Removal or Surrender of Firearms at the Scene of a Domestic Violence Incident

    Maryland allows a law enforcement officer responding to an alleged domestic violence incident to remove a firearm from the scene if he or she: 1) has probable cause to believe an act of domestic violence has occurred; and 2) observed the firearm on the scene during the response.10 The officer must provide information to the owner regarding the process for retrieving the firearm and must provide safe storage for the firearm during any related domestic violence legal proceeding.11 The owner may resume possession of the firearm at the conclusion of legal proceedings related to the domestic violence incident, unless ordered by a court to surrender the weapon.12

    http://smartgunlaws.org/domestic-vio...s-in-maryland/
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland