Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Next years Oline

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    All I want for Christmas is Barrett Jones.

Naked. With a bow.
    He'd be a fine pick for the Ravens. Dude can play every position on the OL and play them well.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I'm a huge Aboushi fan. A buddy I played with in HS plays at UVA and is an 3-4OLB so he goes up against him daily. The guy has the work ethic of a rhino. May be more of a raw guy, but has good size and athletic ability. I'll take a raw guy with a work ethic anyday. If he dropped to the 2nd round and we could pick up someone like Mosely or a good DT/DE I'd say that's the best case scenario in terms of need:value ratio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    I'm a huge Aboushi fan. A buddy I played with in HS plays at UVA and is an 3-4OLB so he goes up against him daily. The guy has the work ethic of a rhino. May be more of a raw guy, but has good size and athletic ability. I'll take a raw guy with a work ethic anyday. If he dropped to the 2nd round and we could pick up someone like Mosely or a good DT/DE I'd say that's the best case scenario in terms of need:value ratio
    Aboushi is definitely an interesting Day-2 prospect.

I'm still watching video on these guys except for Fischer (not sure any exist in the public domain).
    I figure our WCS draft range is 24-26, so hypothetically, Fischer could be available. His skill set is excellent from what I've read, and I always ignore any "small school" talk from the media monkeys.

As far as Yanda at C is concerned, if it strengthens the unit and gives us a 3-man wall somewhere then I am all for it. I did not realize that he was making calls this season...that's very encouraging. When we have the ball, I almost always watch the secondary coverage and LBs pre-snap.

Jah has played okay in both PIT games, barely passing (but positive) vs. OAK, and poorly @ SD. Putting him between Yanda and an LT that should be much better than Oher seems like a good move. We can only hope that he improves as he experiences more live football...he's very much a rookie in that regard.

KO looks like he might be coming around. His negative plays @ SD are memorable, but he had far more unmemorable positive plays that game. Also, if his awful vs. CLE and awful @KC grades were only half a bad, he'd be a top 30 OT instead of the #41 graded overall. With Ryan Kerrigan, Miller, Tuck and Dunlap coming up, we're going to find out exactly where he is. If he swims then you gotta keep him at RT. If he sinks then yup, kick him inside where many of us think he'll eventually excel.

Gino is a wild card that I don't even care to gnash my teeth over right now.

Harewood is also a wild card. His pass pro was awful, but his run blocking is not all that bad (only slight behind CIN's Zeitler who is having a great rookie year overall). Harewood just hasn't played enough football...and despite his intelligence, the guy was lost on pass pro responsibilities. Maybe it will click from him this summer.

There's a not all that unlikely scenario in which Oher--unless he gets kicked inside--is a valuable back-up swing man. On a positive, that's a huge cost avoidance for 2014, and if we can do that as well as establish a better unit then great. Kicking him inside at another position yet again sucks, I know, but it's only an outcome to be considered b/c of the poor job we've done addressing the OL over the last 3 years. The 2009 (mostly) RT Oher was very good--a top 20 player--what a shame to have mishandled the OT position on the heels of that kind of production.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Aboushi is definitely an interesting Day-2 prospect.
    I think his ability to play LT is going to raise his draft stock and he'll probably be early day 2, but I would not consider him a 1st rounder, too raw.

Barrett Jones is an absolute beauty and I would love to have him. With the state of our OL guys who can play multiple positions (i.e Yanda and KO) are wonderful.

However, I hope the defence is addressed early and we wait till the second to look into the OL, but we all know FO takes best guy available which is fine with me as well

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    All I want for Christmas is Barrett Jones.

Naked. With a bow.
    I plan to watch Bama/UGA again over the holidays, but I recall Jones getting OG help quite a bit vs. Jenkins (UGA DT). Am I wrong on that?

If not and if Jones is slotted at C, I would much better prefer a guy who can handle his business solo. Having said that, the UGA game may have been the exception b/c Bama knew that with Jenkins wiped out they could run all day...which of course they did. I admittedly need to watch a lot of video over the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I don't think that you move your best offensive linemen to another position. That just seems dumb to me. I would think that they would go with Gradkowski at center next year. Also, I think KO will stay at RT. The biggest issue imo will be figuring out LT. I don't think Oher is the answer there.
    If the coaches think that resultant flexibility of Yanda at C makes a better unit (like gives us a better G-C-G) then they'll do it.

Don't be shocked if one out of Joekel or Lewan slides into the late 1st round. Seems to happen quite often in drafts. That's how we got Oher after all...well, wait...nevermind. I don't want that.

My "little voice" is telling me we'll go D in rounds 1 and 2: LB and DL. We ought to be able to pick up serviceable interior OL help with some of our compensatory picks. Yes, I am very unhappy about the way we have starved the LB and DL positions.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Don't be shocked if one out of Joekel or Lewan slides into the late 1st round. Seems to happen quite often in drafts. That's how we got Oher after all...well, wait...nevermind. I don't want that.

The Joker. For as strong and as steady as he is, I've never seen an OT play so smoothly. He's actually fun to watch. Yup...fun.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

I can see Lewan sliding, but not Joekel, he is just too talented to slide IMO. I guess anything is possible in the draft though. This years draft is going to be defensive big time though, not much offensive talent in terms of skill players.

Blog Entries
    Unless the Ravens lose out, they'll be picking in the late twenties (hopefully at 32...). At that point their best bet is to go after a guard because Joeckel, Lewan, and Matthews will be long gone.

Better fix: get an offensive system that gets receivers open. That will get the ball out quicker, which will cause the linemen to not have to maintain their blocks for more than a couple of seconds for most plays.

Then, in the draft - defense, defense, defense.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner