Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Norv Turner, Welcome to Baltimore

His play calling is terrible. We have 7'37" recievers and TE's which are basically receivers (Tyvm Mr. Gates for reinvention to position) and Rivers is capable of through 60 yard bombs. He has the arm and the accuracy and we have towering targets who cannot be blocked because they are actually former basketball player (tyvm again Mr. Gates). What Norv is totally ignorant to is the fact that despite a good quarterback and actually good enough targets, you are never going to land anything over 30 yards with reasonable efficiency when you have an O line that gives an average of 2.4 seconds of passer protection.

Does this mean Rivers or the receivers were bad and all we can do is lament the losses of VJ and Brees? No. It means you play with the team you have, not the team you could have. Norv seems to have this binary play book where it's either up the middle or a 20 or greater yard bomb. Ok those are fine plays, and even despite what people say about Mathews, I think we have capable guys of making that game plan work. The problem is that BOTH of those type of plays hinge on a strong, effective o line. The greatest passer in the world is not going to connect with the greatest receiver in the world if the pass is longer than 25 yards and the protection is only 2.4 seconds. The receiver cannot run 10 yards per second (that's about 21 mph, or about the speed of most wolves). Similarly it's really stupid to judge Mathews running ability when Mathews probably hasn't seen a whole since he was in college. Lord knows LT wouldn't see another one after Norv came on ship.

Norv is a fine play designer and a fine strategist, but he is no head coach or play caller. He very clearly does not understand the strengths and weakness of the team he runs and/or does not know how to play with them. As a result he's putting Rivers in increasingly risky situations, causing Rivers to make bad throws and ints which damages his confidence and psyche which is slowly turning him into an actually bad quarterback instead of a good quarterback with bad stats because of poor play calling. Similiarly Mathews as a newer player needs to see more action to improve. Unfortunately our line can't protect him so this means games worth of free downs and puts him at greater injury risk (notice how half the time he always seems to be injured?). There are way to play around these weaknesses, but Norv won't do it. I don't know why, he has theory crafted us out of 3 seasons and it's time for him to go.
    sounds like the exact same coordinator we already have.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Anyone for starting a collection? Maybe we can pay Spanos to replace Norv with Cam?

Seriously, I don't see enough energy in the FO to do anything about Cam.
    I am actually hoping Cam gets offered a HC gig somewhere, probably not in the NFL. That might be the only way the Ravens get rid of him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post

I am actually hoping Cam gets offered a HC gig somewhere, probably not in the NFL. That might be the only way the Ravens get rid of him.
    I was hoping a few years ago that his alma matter, Indiana, would come calling for him.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

If he's as good as you guys think he will be, he could have something lined up rather quickly since other teams worse than ours will also be in need of his services and can pull the trigger sooner right? if thats the case, at 9-3 with a divisional title and deep playoff run on the line, I doubt the Ravens strongly pursue Norv but you never know!

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
    That is actually the source of this rumor.

Divided on Norv. He did great things in Dallas, but he had three hall of famers.

Still, I think Cam needs to be fired. Five years is enough. You can't breed a culture that's content with complacency and regression.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Still, I think Cam needs to be fired. Five years is enough. You can't breed a culture that's content with complacency and regression.
    Yep. The offense has progressed under Cam. Time for a fresh pair of eyes.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I like Norv better than Cam, but I also think that if some of you think he is going to come here and bring anything innovative, you are mistaken.

I find it funny that nobody here is putting any blame on Norv for Rivers decline...despite Rivers still being in the age range of a QB's prime in today's NFL. When Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates stopped dominating other teams secondaries, Norv hasn't been able to get the same production. IMHO, some of Rivers apparent decline has to be laid at the feet of Norv.

IMHO, we should go after an offensive coach from the Shanahan/Kubiak coaching tree...Shanahan was a master of creating and taking advantage of matchups.
    I would do anything to have an offensive system like the Texans...

Blog Entries

Don't often agree with landspeed.

However if you go to the Chargers board, they whine and complain about Norv just as much if not more than we do about Cam, yet you all somehow think the grass is greener? I want a Kubiak type OC, I'm just not sure who though... Imagine how productive Rice could be in that unstoppable ZBS that they run.

Blog Entries

If youre giving me a choice between Cam and Norv, its Norv by a mile. If youre giving me a choice of Norv and any other available coach, im not sure he cracks my top 10. Its not really a knock on him. Hes actually a pretty good OC, id just rather not have AC at all. Not even a well called one, or a variant of it, im just over it. Those that say these variants are being successful, thats true but id argue its more because of the other offense they had to splice into it than the AC part. for that matter I dont think any offense is truly strictly one scheme. Even here with Cam we run some WCO or spread offense formations from time to time, although not frequent enough for my liking or enough to call it a variant.

id like to look at some of the up and coming WR coaches. Greenbay, NYG, NE... Guys that run great routes and are from well coached teams. Usually these are the guys that get promoted from within to become OC of these great teams, so why not snatch them up early and give them a shot?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Norv never coached with John or his father. He never played with his brother. No way John Harbaugh hires anyone with those flaws to be OC.
    Careful, you are starting to sound like me...