Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Norv Turner, Welcome to Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    And Matt Schaub is?

I agree that he needs to focus on getting the ball out quicker to open guys. The problem is no one is open!
    Schaub is pretty mobile in the pocket. He's not going to run for any 1st downs but the Texans move him around a lot. He's most agile than Flacco.

The West Coast Offense makes it easier for guys to get open underneath. No one is open on the Ravens because they only have so receivers they are willing to put in the pattern and they run predictable routes. Instead you sacrifice extra blockers for extra receivers. The Ravens do this on a minor scale with Leach. It's not like Leach is a great route runner but he comes out unexpectedly defenses can't always get to him.

I think the team needs to actually FIGURE OUT its philosophy. Are we sure we want to be this new passing attack oriented thing? Or do we want to go back to our roots in the run game (much like the Steelers did this year)?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I think the team needs to actually FIGURE OUT its philosophy. Are we sure we want to be this new passing attack oriented thing? Or do we want to go back to our roots in the run game (much like the Steelers did this year)?
    this too, when wed rafted flacco this team has been having an identity crisis, we got boldin, torrey and 2 pass catching TEs but then we paid Yanda and aquired leach? what is it? do we run or do we pass? wake comittment already.

I am not sure they have to pick an "identity". I could live with an offense that has multiple options, depending on the opposition. That requires that the OC knows when and how to use the different parts. And right now, that is the missing piece.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    I am not sure they have to pick an "identity". I could live with an offense that has multiple options, depending on the opposition. That requires that the OC knows when and how to use the different parts. And right now, that is the missing piece.
    bouy thats a tall order for killa cam, its all about taking what the defense gives, then when they adjust you take something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    This...i've always thought the identity was overrated. I'm more concerned with how many ways you can beat an opponent and how you adjust to what they are trying to take away.

I'd love to see Norv here but I think he will get a better job offer than Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator. Even if he does take an OC job it will be someplace with better weather and a rocky head coach. I predict Miami. He can't do any worse there than Cam did.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Schaub is pretty mobile in the pocket. He's not going to run for any 1st downs but the Texans move him around a lot. He's most agile than Flacco.

The West Coast Offense makes it easier for guys to get open underneath. No one is open on the Ravens because they only have so receivers they are willing to put in the pattern and they run predictable routes. Instead you sacrifice extra blockers for extra receivers. The Ravens do this on a minor scale with Leach. It's not like Leach is a great route runner but he comes out unexpectedly defenses can't always get to him.
    Just because the Texans may use more rollouts than us doesn't mean Schaub is more agile.

Flacco ran a faster 40, with faster 10 and 20 yard splits, ran quicker 20 shuttle, and had a quicker 3 cone drill. The only athletic drill that Schaub outperformed Flacco is the vertical.

Flacco is a better athlete than many give him credit for (hence the desire to see us run more rollouts), and he is definately more agile and athletic than Schaub.

BTW...Shanahan ran a version of the WCO for one of the greatest offenses I can remember (the 92-94 49ers) as well as a version with the Broncos. He just has always brought that idea from the 49ers of a smaller, quicker OL with him that has done very well for his and Kubiak's teams.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Just because the Texans may use more rollouts than us doesn't mean Schaub is more agile.

Flacco ran a faster 40, with faster 10 and 20 yard splits, ran quicker 20 shuttle, and had a quicker 3 cone drill. The only athletic drill that Schaub outperformed Flacco is the vertical.

Flacco is a better athlete than many give him credit for (hence the desire to see us run more rollouts), and he is definately more agile and athletic than Schaub.

BTW...Shanahan ran a version of the WCO for one of the greatest offenses I can remember (the 92-94 49ers) as well as a version with the Broncos. He just has always brought that idea from the 49ers of a smaller, quicker OL with him that has done very well for his and Kubiak's teams.
    I agree, i think Flacco is much more mobile then Schaub but people are so used to seeing Houston move the pocket and us not that it clouds their thinking on it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I agree, i think Flacco is much more mobile then Schaub but people are so used to seeing Houston move the pocket and us not that it clouds their thinking on it.
    Greg Knapp is rumored to be out of Oakland at the end of this year. He spent the last couple of years at Houston as the QB coach but he's been OC at other places. Just an option to consider.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Another idea for those who would like to see Caldwell as the OC. Tom Moore has been taking various consulting roles, now with the Titans to the end of the year. Caldwell has never called plays at the NFL level but if we hired Moore in somewhat the same capacity to assist Caldwell it could be a good thing. Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Greg Knapp is rumored to be out of Oakland at the end of this year. He spent the last couple of years at Houston as the QB coach but he's been OC at other places. Just an option to consider.
    Def. another option, the Raiders haven't taken to his scheme, particularly in the run but he's definitely a quality coach.