Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Norv Turner, Welcome to Baltimore

As some posters have already mentioned unless Norv has any kind of family connection to Harbaugh I seriously doubt Harbaugh would consider him.
    Norv will have his suitors if he becomes available. The question is would he consider an OC position? There may be potential HC openings in Dallas, Philadelphia, KC, Carolina and Cleveland so he could certainly draw some interest.

I don't think Norv is much of an upgrade over Cam unless he's willing to implement a west coast offense which I firmly believe taliors to Joe's skillset. Which begs the question. Other than Norv who else can we speculate coming to Baltimore?

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    What was Chuck Pagano's connection to the Harbaughs?
    Sssshhhh

You're gonna ruin the false meme.

Blog Entries

What was Chuck Pagano's connection to the Harbaughs?
    Other than him being hired when Harbs was hired (2008) I don't believe there was a previous connection.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Kubiak coached under Shanahan for years. Not too many run that system because it's very personnel specific or it doesn't work. Honestly Flacco isn't mobile enough to play in that system. You need a QB like Ben or Rodgers who can move laterally. You also need someone with great pocket awareness.

Flacco can't do any of those things. He needs to focus on getting rid of the ball quicker to open guys. That's exactly what the West Coast Offense is all about. More options to throw the ball to creating a lot less time from drop back to the release of the ball. Brett Favre proved that you can still go deep and that a big arm works great in a West Coast system. That's the fit for Flacco
    Schaub is mobile? He is the same statue that Flacco is. Elway in his twilight years also was a statue. Hell, Brian Griese looked like a quality NFL starter for them in Denver.

I completely disagree with the mobile stuff. Just because Shanahan and Kubiak are smart enough to take advantage of mobile QB's like RGIII and hell...Jake Plummer, doesn't mean that you HAVE to be like that to have success. In fact, that just makes me want someone from that tree even more as they have had success with traditional pocket passers and have also modified their offenses to take advantage of an option QB (RGIII) and a QB who thrived in a "moving pocket/rollout" system (Plummer who was a failed traditional pocket QB).
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by b-more_4_Life View Post
    Our best chance of getting a good OC after the season is for Harbs best friend, Pat Shurmur, is fired from the Browns.

I honest believe that had guys like Shurmur and Turner been available last year (or Kubiak, the year before), they would have fired Cam. Unfortunately, for the Ravens there was no one of that ability and seasoning available and I don't think they want to turn Flacco over the a 1st time OC.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by b-more_4_Life View Post

Our best chance of getting a good OC after the season is for Harbs best friend, Pat Shurmur, being fired from the Browns.

He only hires his buddies. Hell he wont even fire the OL coach who is a drunk to say the least because they went to High School together!
    Shurmur would be "ok"...not real excited by him though either.

Blog Entries

I honest believe that had guys like Shurmur and Turner been available last year (or Kubiak, the year before), they would have fired Cam. Unfortunately, for the Ravens there was no one of that ability and seasoning available and I don't think they want to turn Flacco over the a 1st time OC.
    Yea, but now that Flacco has a lot of experience against a lot of tough defenses, bringing in a young/1st time offensive coordinator may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Schaub is mobile? He is the same statue that Flacco is. Elway in his twilight years also was a statue. Hell, Brian Griese looked like a quality NFL starter for them in Denver.

I completely disagree with the mobile stuff. Just because Shanahan and Kubiak are smart enough to take advantage of mobile QB's like RGIII and hell...Jake Plummer, doesn't mean that you HAVE to be like that to have success. In fact, that just makes me want someone from that tree even more as they have had success with traditional pocket passers and have also modified their offenses to take advantage of an option QB (RGIII) and a QB who thrived in a "moving pocket/rollout" system (Plummer who was a failed traditional pocket QB).
    Exactly.

I've never seen Shaubb scramble in my life, and I never really see him extend plays, there is always somebody open and he gets the ball away. In that system, it's really great when playing blitz happy teams. Not to mention that great running scheme they have, that would work wonders for Rice and Pierce.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yea, but now that Flacco has a lot of experience against a lot of tough defenses, bringing in a young/1st time offensive coordinator may not necessarily be a bad thing.
    Karl Dorrell would be my choice too, I would love that move.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Cam's weakness is not the system. It's his inability to adjustment and his lack of creative play calls that has held this offense back.

In that regard, Norv is an improvement.
    Truth in all of that! But....

I can see it now, we are at 4th and goal from about the 3 and Norv calls for a hand off to Rice and the other team's Ray Lewis equivalent knows exactly what the OC is going to be calling and stops the play dead for a game-losing loss.

Bring in Norval? No, please no.... he would be a slight improvement over Malcolm, but Ray Lewis showed us that we don't want him either. Norv adapts better but is still predictable

There is an article on the front where Malcolm is admitting that the ball wasn't run enough....
    I'm aggravated by this....it is the same bullsh*t I heard a year ago after the Seattle game Ray 5 rushes for 27 yards. and Ricky Williams tossed in 3 for 8 yards. Of course David Reed had 1 for 16yds and Torrey also had 1 for 16yds.
    I heard it last year, I'm hearing it again this year, and we will hear it next year if Malcolm stays.

Its time for leadership (which is not reaction or over-reaction), time for Steve Bisciotti to make an off season move.... he found Harbs who I don't really have much of a problem with as a HC, time for Steve to guide the ship to an OC
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Wonder if Jason Garrett would be available next year....

So, for all the "let's fire Cam" people (and I've felt that too, lemme tell you) how would they feel knowing that vacancies in the staff here have traditionally been filled from in house via promotion, etc, meaning you could get the drunk for an OC instead?

Blog Entries

I'm glad to see Pat Shurmur getting some mentions in here. That's the guy I would want. When you look at Cleveland's talent offensively, they seem to be better than they should be, albeit maybe not statistically. I was impressed with the stuff they did in that first game here this year, a game they should have won, and also with how they played between the 20's in the second game, a game they also could have won. They stay committed to running the ball and they work off that in the passing game...how the Ravens should be playing offense. I would be pleased if they brought in Shurmur.

Concerning Norv...no. If they are going to break from Cam, break from that system entirely and go a different direction.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52