Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: use Flacco's legs

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    How many starts has Flacco missed? How many has Eli Manning missed? How many has Philip Rivers missed?

Now, thinking about this: How many starts has Big Jen missed? How many starts has Vick missed? How many do you think RGIII will miss (he's already missed 75% of a season in college from an ACL tear and has left a game with a concussion this season) throughout his career? Do you notice how McNabb washed out at age 33?

The point being that QB's who don't scramble don't miss starts and don't get injured. Say what you want about Flacco but he's extremely durable. We haven't had to say "Oh, you beat us, but our QB wasn't even playing." Our QB plays, and that's because he makes plays with his arms, not his legs. That's what you have RB's for.
    Granted, you have a point there.... I know you didn't suggest this, but I wanted to point out that Flacco played hurt (or is he?). It is not surprising when you have the offensive linemen and a long-developed (and rudimentary??) playcalling like ours, he is expected to get hurt. It is a matter of time before he is incapable of playing due to an injury, in my opinion. On top of that, he likes to hold the ball a bit too long, IMO.

Back to the OP, I understand the OP's point. Flacco does not have to scramble at every opportunity, but he should also capitalize on some opportunity to run and slide as a smart quarterback would. Tom Brady does that, and he is as durable as it gets (btw, Tom Brady missed significant games in a season for staying in the pocket, didn't he?) Last Sunday, he had at least two opportunities to run for a big gain, but he didn't.

With a linebacker spies on Ray Rice on every snap (I think it is one of the reasons why Leach was open on those short FB passes), there is a chance that a certain area of the field will be open. I don't care if it is a short gain, I rather a short gain than a sack and/or possibly a jarring hit that could knock Flacco out or a game changing sack/strip.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    I'd just like to see Joe's awareness and decision making in the pocket increase. Survey the field, nothing's available, MAKE A DECISION instead of tap-dancing in place patting the ball for another needless sack or strip-sack.

Even statues like Brady the Lady, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer use their legs to escape pocket pressure. I've seen Flacco's athletic ability, so it's not a question of IF he can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast
    It's really up to Flacco on whether or not he wants to extend plays, but we have seen him do it before. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts
    he should also capitalize on some opportunity to run and slide as a smart quarterback would.
    Agreed X 3! Nobody expects Tebow, RGIII, or Cam Newton. But it is not unreasonable nor reckless to ask for positive rushing yards, maybe to the tune of 15-25 yds/game from Joe. Especially if it replaces sacks, throwaways, and 3 and outs!

When it's there - take it! that's a mindset he needs to adopt before he drops back into the pocket.

He doesn't have a contract past the end of the year.
    A serious injury and he doesn't get his big pay day
    I wouldn't run under those conditions either.
    Ravens have put him in a tough situation that has now been exacerbated by his poor statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    This!

Joe gets paid to use his arm, not his legs. Give him time and he can knock a fly off a bull's ass at 60 yards. No need to risk injury trying to make him something he's not.
    Unfortunately, Flacco isn't a very accurate deep passer, at least not this season. He does roll out well, but that isn't used enough, IMO.

Once again, I'm not suggesting that Cam call five QB runs a game, or anything like that.
    Al

Blog Entries

If it comes to the point of win-or-go-home, Joe will run if he has to. Until then, highly doubtful. Considering the schedule, that may come as soon as Week 17.

Quote Originally Posted by OriAl View Post
    Unfortunately, Flacco isn't a very accurate deep passer, at least not this season. He does roll out well, but that isn't used enough, IMO.

Once again, I'm not suggesting that Cam call five QB runs a game, or anything like that.

Joe is a very accurate deep passer, when he gets time. Where he struggles is when he is under pressure. I agree that he could do more with his legs to avoid the pressure, but he will never be a running QB, and he souldn't try to be. He has been programmed to stay in the p[ocket and try to get rid of the ball as soon as possible. There is a fine line between standing tall in the pocket and bailing out of the pocket too soon. Brady, Brees, and Peyton have perfected it. Joe is still figuring it out.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    How many starts has Flacco missed? How many has Eli Manning missed? How many has Philip Rivers missed?

Now, thinking about this: How many starts has Big Jen missed? How many starts has Vick missed? How many do you think RGIII will miss (he's already missed 75% of a season in college from an ACL tear and has left a game with a concussion this season) throughout his career? Do you notice how McNabb washed out at age 33?

The point being that QB's who don't scramble don't miss starts and don't get injured. Say what you want about Flacco but he's extremely durable. We haven't had to say "Oh, you beat us, but our QB wasn't even playing." Our QB plays, and that's because he makes plays with his arms, not his legs. That's what you have RB's for.
    Then he can do like any other QB that scrambles or runs and slide. Today's NFL allows the QB to slide feet first to kill the play. I'd rather see him do that than sit in the pocket waiting for the receivers to get open and take a sack/fumble.

Blog Entries

I remember flaccos first rookie game in pittsburgh did yall remember that game? whe flacco cut across the grain shook off steelers ran back to his right and hit derrick mason on a comeback route? Flacco is mobile very mobile.

Blog Entries
    Didnt Flacco also have a 40 yard TD run his rookie year? Furthermore, any QB who can run a go route and catch a deep pass from Troy Smith is pretty athletic.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Flacco is not a good runner. He's pretty slow. I think he'd even tell you that.

If he and Brady ran a race, it would almost be like watching two guys run backwards.

He is a good runner for a QB. He should run a little more. He has made great plays with his legs many times.

Blog Entries

I don't think they need to design anything for him. He just needs to take a lane when he sees it, every now and then.

Flacco doesn't throw well on the run anyway. He's never been good throwing on the run. People just want to see him scramble for some yards sometimes, when things break down, instead of standing back there while the pocket collapses around him.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    I'd just like to see Joe's awareness and decision making in the pocket increase. Survey the field, nothing's available, MAKE A DECISION instead of tap-dancing in place patting the ball for another needless sack or strip-sack.

Even statues like Brady the Lady, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer use their legs to escape pocket pressure. I've seen Flacco's athletic ability, so it's not a question of IF he can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I don't think they need to design anything for him. He just needs to take a lane when he sees it, every now and then.

Flacco doesn't throw well on the run anyway. He's never been good throwing on the run. People just want to see him scramble for some yards sometimes, when things break down, instead of standing back there while the pocket collapses around him.
    Like I said to you at he tailgate last week Rav, I'm seriously thinking this is being coached out of him.

I truly believe he's being coached to stay in the pocket, trust his line , and wait for the receiver to get open.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, he can and has done it before and with great success.

He ain't no Fran Tarkenton or Steve Young, but he can move and run for positive yardage eliminating sacks and keeping the chains moving.

Maybe it is Flacco making the decision to stay there, don't know, but there's plenty of past footage of him earlier in his career here and at Delaware where it seemed he'd do it with little hesitation after making a quick decision whether to stay or go.

To me, you don't lose this part of your game that you brought with you into the NFL by happen chance, I think it more has to be taken from you, and the dude is no where near old enough for father time to be taking it at this point in his career.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!