Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    8,266

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?



    Here's the flaw in this...

    Imagine this...Jets vs Patriots, Patriots lose opening toss. Decide to go for the 4th and 15 and convert. Score a TD on the drive. Convert 4th and 15 again, score another TD. Repeat. Potentially one team could keep the ball all game. Wasn't thats why they change the OT rules? Cause only one team potentially would have the ball. Also if the Patriots throw an incomplete on the 4th and 15, the Jets would get the ball at the Patriots 30 yard line!

    In 5-10 years time, football will become totally unrecognizable from its current state.




  2. #17

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Can you blame him?

    With the constant stream of ex players suing the league over a sport they knew was dangerous to begin with, it's hard to pin the blame on the Commish alone.

    Anyone else in the same situation would have to consider such measures.
    At what point has kickoffs been "unsafe" over the past 2 years?

    Theyve definitely improved.

    Either get over it or let the NFL fade out, because now the integrity of the game is just being stomped on.




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    I love how everyone is bitching about the "changing of the game" is doing it form the comfort of their couch, where there are no consequences for them when X player gets multiple concussions or is paralyzed.

    For the record, I am not saying I am favor of the proposed changes. I have my own things I think could make the game safer with out changing football, most specifically fundamentals "head up, wrap up tackling" stop the "hitting". I could get more specific but I'd don't feel like it right now.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,883
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    Frankly, everyone who straps on a helmet knows the risks they take. And that goes for any sport/hobby. They knew the risks 50 years ago. They know the risks today.

    Guys play because they (A) love it and (B) can get paid a lot of money.

    I'm an avid snowboarder who has sprained many an ankle, jammed wrists/fingers, gotten bruises so bad I could barely walk, and tore my shoulder. I knew the risks involved with snowboarding. I'm not going to sue Burton or K2 in 30 years because I'm old and my shoulder is bothering me.

    Ex-players suing the league are just money-grubbing. It's bogus and honestly, it pisses me off because there are guys like John Mackey who were obviously impaired later in life. There is a HUGE difference between John Mackey and someone like Jamal Lewis, who also filed a lawsuit against the NFL.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Frankly, everyone who straps on a helmet knows the risks they take. And that goes for any sport/hobby. They knew the risks 50 years ago. They know the risks today.

    Guys play because they (A) love it and (B) can get paid a lot of money.

    I'm an avid snowboarder who has sprained many an ankle, jammed wrists/fingers, gotten bruises so bad I could barely walk, and tore my shoulder. I knew the risks involved with snowboarding. I'm not going to sue Burton or K2 in 30 years because I'm old and my shoulder is bothering me.

    Ex-players suing the league are just money-grubbing. It's bogus and honestly, it pisses me off because there are guys like John Mackey who were obviously impaired later in life. There is a HUGE difference between John Mackey and someone like Jamal Lewis, who also filed a lawsuit against the NFL.

    No doubt about that.

    But using your comparison (not the lawsuit, that's BS). Making the game safer by changing rules or making tackling not hitting a rule, wouldn't that be similar to you getting lessons or practicing so you stop falling as much? Also, can't your lift ticket get taken away if you're bad enough to be a danger to others?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Here's the flaw in this...

    Imagine this...Jets vs Patriots, Patriots lose opening toss. Decide to go for the 4th and 15 and convert. Score a TD on the drive. Convert 4th and 15 again, score another TD. Repeat. Potentially one team could keep the ball all game. Wasn't thats why they change the OT rules? Cause only one team potentially would have the ball. Also if the Patriots throw an incomplete on the 4th and 15, the Jets would get the ball at the Patriots 30 yard line!
    That's not a flaw, it's a feature. If you allow a team to convert multiple 4-15s, you deserve to lose just as much as a team that allows the opponent to convert every single onside kick.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  7. #22

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    They need to just squeeze as much money out of it as they can, because this turd is circling the bowl.




  8. #23

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    "The" law suit?

    There's hundreds of suits right now.
    True, but those lawsuits have similar underlying rationale.




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    They need to just squeeze as much money out of it as they can, because this turd is circling the bowl.
    You have a very poor understanding of just how successful and popular the NFL is under Goodell. As much as a certain class of fans likes to complain that he's ruining the game, he's negotiated the biggest TV deal in history, and been in charge for the NFL's greatest run of parity to date. The game is bigger than ever and the idea that it's "circling the drain" is inexcusably wrong.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    they'll probably move to kickoffs to start the first and second half, and that's it. The rest of the time the team gets the ball on the 20. It's gonna happen
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  11. #26

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    You have a very poor understanding of just how successful and popular the NFL is under Goodell. As much as a certain class of fans likes to complain that he's ruining the game, he's negotiated the biggest TV deal in history, and been in charge for the NFL's greatest run of parity to date. The game is bigger than ever and the idea that it's "circling the drain" is inexcusably wrong.
    I think you misunderstand the idea of going too far or "jumping the shark". At some point in the very near future, if they continue along this path, they are going to jump the shark. You can choose to have the OPINION that I am inexcusably wrong all you want. I don't care what the TV contracts are, if you change the game into something that people don't want to watch it won't matter.




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I think you misunderstand the idea of going too far or "jumping the shark". At some point in the very near future, if they continue along this path, they are going to jump the shark. You can choose to have the OPINION that I am inexcusably wrong all you want. I don't care what the TV contracts are, if you change the game into something that people don't want to watch it won't matter.
    Except every change that's been made under Goodell and Tags before him have ultimately made the game more popular. You can personally dislike them all you want, but the results speak for themselves. We're not approaching some "shark jumping" watershed here, quite the opposite. Goodell has his finger on the pulse of what the majority of fans (note, not what the majority of old school die hards) want and that's A. Points, B. Parity, and C. For the recognizable stars of the game (generally QBs) to play longer and at a high level.

    You can get behind his vision and keep enjoying football or not, it won't matter to the NFL though because for every 3 yards and a cloud of dust fan they lose, they gain 2 fans of wide open high octane offense driven football.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    8,266

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I think you misunderstand the idea of going too far or "jumping the shark". At some point in the very near future, if they continue along this path, they are going to jump the shark. You can choose to have the OPINION that I am inexcusably wrong all you want. I don't care what the TV contracts are, if you change the game into something that people don't want to watch it won't matter.
    +1




  14. #29

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    We will see.




  15. #30

    Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Here's the flaw in this...

    Imagine this...Jets vs Patriots, Patriots lose opening toss. Decide to go for the 4th and 15 and convert. Score a TD on the drive. Convert 4th and 15 again, score another TD. Repeat. Potentially one team could keep the ball all game. Wasn't thats why they change the OT rules? Cause only one team potentially would have the ball. Also if the Patriots throw an incomplete on the 4th and 15, the Jets would get the ball at the Patriots 30 yard line!

    In 5-10 years time, football will become totally unrecognizable from its current state.
    I think the league percentage for 4th and 15 is about 20% (the idea is to make it about the same chance as an onside kick). To pull that off even 2 out of 2 times would be a 4% chance and meanwhile you're taking a big risk of letting a lesser team get some nice field position.

    I think the biggest flaw as someone pointed out is a 1st down via penalty. I absolutely think that if you want to take away a DB's ability to lay a hit and separate the ball from a man you need to let them be more physical and ease up on pass interference.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland