Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Blog Entries

Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

Lets just put the flag belts on.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Lets just put the flag belts on.
    Pretty much everything Goddell proposes is garbage. The scary thing is, Once he says it publically, it's automatically written in stone. That's how he works.

Moving the kickoffs up 10 yards
    Locking out the real refs
    Sending games to Europe
    Fining and suspending players without warning
    Now this.

Watch.
    Yuck.

What a terrible idea.

4 and 15 isn't nearly intimidating enough. Watch Belicheat send his offense out and just look for a flag on Gronkowski or something. And with illegal contact giving an automatic first down regardless of where on the field it happens, why not try?

Again, terrible idea.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Pretty much everything Goddell proposes is garbage. The scary thing is, Once he says it publically, it's automatically written in stone. That's how he works.

Moving the kickoffs up 10 yards
    Locking out the real refs
    Sending games to Europe
    Fining and suspending players without warning
    Now this.

Watch.
    Yuck.
    I really won't be surprised when it's implemented. Gooddell is slowly ruining the NFL.

Can you blame him?

With the constant stream of ex players suing the league over a sport they knew was dangerous to begin with, it's hard to pin the blame on the Commish alone.

Anyone else in the same situation would have to consider such measures.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 12-06-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Blog Entries

It's not that crazy an idea if you think about it. And it doesn't really do all that much violence ;) to the game.

You replace the onside kick with going for it on 4th and 15 (or 20--I think you could argue about the distance). Both exciting plays with similar chances for success, but you don't have players on the return team getting hit by coverage players with a full head of steam.

You replace (most of) the touchbacks with kicks out of bounds, which are easier to accomplish but risk giving the opponent excellent field position--but if that doesn't faze you, you can accomplish the same thing with a squib kick right now.

In all other respects, the kickoff return is replaced by a punt return. Not as exciting for two reasons: the possibility of a high punt forcing a fair catch, and the decreased probability that a single block or a small seam can lead to 6. In return for that you get a reduction in closing speed for coverage & return teams which leads to less violent collisions.

On the whole, the game would lose something--the question is how much it would gain in player safety? I'd have to see the figures for concussions & other injuries for kickoff returns vs punt returns.

But let's face it, this idea would beat the living crap out just handing the other team the ball at their 30, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure I would prefer this solution, but I actually don't think it's a horrible idea for a couple reasons.

• Since they've moved the kickoffs up, 43.5% of kickoffs end in touchbacks. It's become boring and I usually find myself heading to fridge instead of sitting through Commercial-TB-Commercial.
    • Onside kicks. They're one of the most exciting plays in the game, but they're predicated almost entirely on luck and the ball bouncing your way. I think having your offense on the field to determine whether you can get an extra possession makes a lot more sense than a ball bounce.
    • Chance for a bad snap/blocked punt adds a little excitement. Since you're not kicking from a tee, there's a chance that a punter could mishandle the snap and give the other team a good starting point for their drive.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Can you blame him?

With the constant stream of ex players suing the league over a sport they knew was dangerous to begin with, it's hard to pin the blame on the Commish alone.

Anyone else in the same situation would have to consider such measures.
    Understandable, but I think the lawsuit against NFL is much deeper than the fact that the sport is dangerous. I think it goes along the line that the league is aware of the danger for so long and the league actively concealed that danger. I think that is basically the gist of the lawsuit.

Regardless, it shouldn't be a knee jerk reaction to "pussify" the league in the process. The league could very well make sure that each player signs a declaimer (if hasn't already done so) before playing.

I actually thought this was a great idea. Kickoffs right now are boring, and onside kicks are just silly luck draws. Might as well add some cool skill to it.

I think it's an interesting idea, and it should be discussed along with alternatives. They can look at the average starting position after a kickoff, and the average net on punts, and then determine what yard line to place the ball in order to end up with a similar average result. I'm guessing it would be more like the 40; putting the line of scrimmage at the 30 would result in the other team getting the ball around their 30, which is pretty far ahead of the typical kickoff return.

I wonder if teams would take the backup punter and long-snapper positions more seriously. And I wonder how special-teamers would be affected, since a lot more of them are used on a kickoff than on a punt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I wonder if teams would take the backup punter position more seriously.
    Or have their QBs learn how to punt, or their punters to throw. Wouldn't that be interesting--asking a QB to do something a body part other than his throwing arm...