Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Re: OT-- oh Goddell, really?

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    My point is that your suggestion:

"Why not just move to punts period and instead of 4th and 15, you can go for a fake punt (equal to onside kick) and you have to get 15 yards."

is identical to Goodell's.
    I thought his was, two options punt or in place of an onside kick you can line up under center and go 4th and 15th. Maybe I need to reread it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    You can onsides kick after a safety.

Also, I am pretty sure the odds of recovering an onsides kick is well below 20% now, probably closer to 10% (not counting surprise onsides). There have been two recent rule changes that have decreased the odds of recovery. One you can no longer overload one side of the ball as the kicking team. And two, your players can only be a maximum of 5 yards behind the ball when it is kicked, i.e. smaller running starts, slower speed going forward at kickoff.
    If you went to the 4th-&-15/20 punt-or-try change-of-possession scenario, there should be no onside-kick provision, & as in a regular punt the ball should not be live until touched by the receiving team. Dunno about current ball-kicked-off-out-of-bounds rules--you might want to keep those to increase the probability of a returnable kick.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    If you went to the 4th-&-15/20 punt-or-try change-of-possession scenario, there should be no onside-kick provision, & as in a regular punt the ball should not be live until touched by the receiving team. Dunno about current ball-kicked-off-out-of-bounds rules--you might want to keep those to increase the probability of a returnable kick.
    Well, as is being debated by others, there is no difference between a normal punt or try a 4th and 15 in terms of options. They are both the same as a normal 4th and 15; you can go for it or regular punt.

As for free kick "punt" after a safety, etc, that actually is a live ball (when kicked after a safety), but it can be fair caught just like a kickoff that does not first bounce off the ground. Not sure what people are talking about in some instances they are saying "punt" here.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I thought his was, two options punt or in place of an onside kick you can line up under center and go 4th and 15th. Maybe I need to reread it?
    Under Goodell's proposal, the punt would be a play from scrimmage, not a free kick. If your "Why not move to punts period" isn't describing a play from scrimmage, then you're describing a free kick, as in after a safety. Nobody's going to run a fake off a free kick to try to gain 15 yards. Maybe it would help if you'd be more specific about your "punt" scenario, since you don't seem to be talking about the same procedure as most of us.