Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Could Contract Pressure be Getting to Flacco?

Joe Cool is the image that Joe Flacco has always presented. He's a calm and steady guy who rarely seems to lose his temper or get overly emotional about anything. Joe isn't a robot though. He's still a human being and like the rest of us regular guys he's still going to get stressed and worry when things aren't going well.

Is it possible that Flacco is pushing too hard because he knows that it means millions of dollars in a future contract? They've been trying to go deep since the Raiders game time after time. Deep balls mean more yards, more offense and more money for Flacco. The more he tries the more inaccurate he seems to become. Is it possible that the stress of what this means for his future contract is really getting to him? If that's the case and the 2 sides are unable to come to a deal and the franchise tag is used could we be looking at an even more stressed out Joe Flacco in 2013? I sure hope not.

Blog Entries

Re: Could Contract Pressure be Getting to Flacco?

I will say that I think winning is most on his mind right now. However, it is plausible that he's trying to continuously prove that he can win with his arm. Given the circumstances (Cam Cameron and surrounding talent), he's done a good job of that. It's almost like no matter how many times we see Joe come through in the clutch, in a winning or losing effort, we aren't satisfied and quickly forget the past. That plays itself out in the local and national media that Joe is not deaf to.

Trying to be 'that' QB, in an offensive environment not conducive to developing 'that' QB, can lead to frustration.

That's not to say that the money isn't on his mind. He turned down a number from the team and wants to prove that he's worth more. He's probably frustrated, because he hasn't really been given a fair chance to do that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I'm pretty sure this element exists however I don't think this could be used as an overriding factor in Joe's decline in performance. Again I'm sure some of this is self inflicted but at the end of the day I think he's trapped in a system that's not tailored to his strengths and those around him. That question will be answered next season when we have a new OC hopefully.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I will say that I think winning is most on his mind right now. However, it is plausible that he's trying to continuously prove that he can win with his arm. Given the circumstances (Cam Cameron and surrounding talent), he's done a good job of that. It's almost like no matter how many times we see Joe come through in the clutch, in a winning or losing effort, we aren't satisfied and quickly forget the past. That plays itself out in the local and national media that Joe is not deaf to.

Trying to be 'that' QB, in an offensive environment not conducive to developing 'that' QB, can lead to frustration.

That's not to say that the money isn't on his mind. He turned down a number from the team and wants to prove that he's worth more. He's probably frustrated, because he hasn't really been given a fair chance to do that.
    If I am him, I wouldn't play for Cam under anything other than the tag. Why invest in your future with that anchor on you. I think Joe is tired of this offense and it is starting to show.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    If I am him, I wouldn't play for Cam under anything other than the tag. Why invest in your future with that anchor on you. I think Joe is tired of this offense and it is starting to show.
    It's been documented that Joe has butted heads with Cam before I believe. It wouldn't surprise me if Flacco was fed up with Cam.

iggyman555 Guest

cant wait to hear from joe after the season whats on his mind

Blog Entries

We all remember the Divisional Round Playoff game in Indianapolis, where Joe Flacco and Cam Cameron got into a heated argument, sparked by Flacco and his frustration.

Things were rather quiet in 2010, but in 2011 you had Joe being called out by his own teammate. Then, you had Joe answering the call in the AFC Championship Game, despite Cameron and Harbaugh taking all day to let Joe run a halfway decent ship, only for an eight year vet to drop the pass that would have vindicated Flacco forever.

This year, more than any other, we are consistently seeing the frustration on Flacco's face. I even saw a play on Sunday where he got mad at Torrey for dropping, what would have been a TD pass. Fortunately, Rice ran it in on the next play. Torrey was suppose to head up field toward the endzone, but faded to the pylon and dropped the ball as well. You could read Joe's lips, "Torrey?! Fuck!".
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Why do players resign with crap teams? It's all about the money and comfort. This is the team that drafted Joe and he's done well here. No other QB has been able to get to the playoffs their first 5 years in the NFL. As long as he gets the money he wants he's going to stay Cam or no Cam.

Blog Entries

^agreed; he wants to get paid like other NFL QBs, of which several play on crappy teams or for subpar coordinators.
    But missing open receivers has nothing to do with the system and he's doing that more now. Last week he faced the best defense in the league that was manhandling the Oline so that was a big part of it. This week he has a chance to rack up some stats; lets see if he can do it.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

Is it possible that Flacco is pushing too hard because he knows that it means millions of dollars in a future contract? They've been trying to go deep since the Raiders game time after time. Deep balls mean more yards, more offense and more money for Flacco. The more he tries the more inaccurate he seems to become.
    You know what else looks good on your resume'? Completion percentage, time of possession and winning playoff games because of it. If he stops taking those deep throws so much, throws to the open intermediate guy, checks down to a run that works, eats up some clock, keeps the defense fresh, get's the rock to Ray Rice in space-all of this, he is the one who gets credit for it. If he makes good decisions, it looks good for his contract. If he pushes too hard and makes bad decisions, he is making it harder to justify that huge payday he wants. Bottom line.

Blog Entries

It could be on his mind. But personally I think he's frustrated with the offense and the tings that comes with the basic routes, tight coverage/tight windows = batted passes or overthrows. Slow developing routes etc.

I just feel this offense extremely limiting him, he feels it, he knows it and he's fed up. Just a feeling though.

Blog Entries

I doubt that Joe's worried about his contract. What can you do with $100 million that you can't do with $90 million? After a certain point it's just numbers in a bank, & what he'll get is waaaay above that point.

(The rest of this should be read as one minimally-informed observer's conjectures--I'm not sure of any of it, & I look forward to seeing counterarguments so long as they're not insulting.)

I think maybe he's much more concerned with being seen as the (at least, a) top man at his craft. Remember, this is the same kid who when they told him he'd be sitting behind Palko at Pitt said to himself, Screw this, I know I can play this game at a high level & I'm going somewhere where I can prove it to everyone! He was willing to sit for a year in order to get the ball in his hands & show what he could do with it.

I think maybe he's not as frustrated with Cam's offense as it seems. He luuuuuuvs to throw the long ball & Cam certainly accommodates him on that. IMO he's more frustrated when the OL doesn't give him time & the receivers don't get separation & drop the ball when they do, because it gets in the way of him showing what he can do. (To the extent that the lack of separation is the fault of bending routes rather than making sharp cuts, that is on Cam's offensive design.) He hides it well most of the time because I think maybe he doesn't want to be a dick & call guys out who are his friends, & because he knows he's gonna need to come back to them & there's no reason to put any more pressure on them to make plays than they (as professionals) will put on themselves.

I think maybe part of Joe's problem is that he's too confident in his abilities. He's said repeatedly that he wants the game on his shoulders. No one would say that unless he was absolutely sure he would win it. But blockers have to block, receivers have to run the right routes & run them well & get some separation & catch the ball--& All-Pro runners occasionally have to get a handoff.

When I see that deer-in-the-headlights look when things aren't going well, I think maybe he's thinking, This is not how it's supposed to play out, WTF is going wrong? Part of "WTF is going wrong" may be that there are NFL-caliber athletes & coaches on the other side of the ball & they have a distressing habit of trying to outplay & outplan & outthink you & your guys & they occasionally succeed. Joe needs to be able to go to the sidelines & ask his OC that question followed by What can we do to fix it? and expect a substantive answer in real time. And this is where I think he gets frustrated with Cam, because Cam (& by extension his entire staff of offensive coaches) is world-class putrid at in-game adjustments.

But sometimes there are no adjustments that will work. Sometimes your guys (including yourself) are just having a bad day. And sometimes the guys on the other side are just having a better day.