Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will Haloti Rebound?

It occurred to me how weird it is that Haloti Ngata is probably the least mentioned Raven this year on either side of the ball. We talk about the skill players, the shoddy oline, the carousel of corner backs and guys filling in on the D-line. Ngata just kind of "exists".

As we all remember, he actually looked like the DPOY in the early goings last year - with multiple forced fumbles, pass deflections, and a TD through the first four games. Then he got hurt and kind of disappeared. I thought having the offseason as a time to recover would do the trick and it looked that way in the opener as he accumulated 1.5 sacks and a PD. Since then he's had 2.5 sacks, 0 FF, and 0 PD. It looks like a shoulder injury after Week 5 and the MCL in Week 6.

I don't want to dog him because he's done admirable job considering, but I wonder a) was there no one really to fill in for him so he could at least rehabilitate somewhat this year and more importantly b) do you think he'll return to form next year?

2. Re: Will Haloti Rebound?

He plays too many snaps for a DT.
    I'm worried a little that he's going to go the way of Todd Heap.

Re: Will Haloti Rebound?

This has been a big problem for me as well.

Since we have paid him he has spent a lot of time being injured. Obviously I'm not blaming him, but having so much money go to someone who isn't ever playing at 100% is problematic.
    I really can't wait for the day he finally returns to form.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Blog Entries

This will all be forgotten about when he pops out of no where and destroys somebody haha

One of the corollaries of always being in playoff contentions is that you rarely get opportunities to draft Haloti Ngata's and Terrell Suggs's of the world at 27-32. It's been a while since Ozzie really HIT on a draft pick. Ray Rice was the last one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    One of the corollaries of always being in playoff contentions is that you rarely get opportunities to draft Haloti Ngata's and Terrell Suggs's of the world at 27-32. It's been a while since Ozzie really HIT on a draft pick. Ray Rice was the last one.
    Don't forget about Webb. And Sergio Kindle of course... oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    This has been a big problem for me as well.

Since we have paid him he has spent a lot of time being injured. Obviously I'm not blaming him, but having so much money go to someone who isn't ever playing at 100% is problematic.
    I really can't wait for the day he finally returns to form.
    Haloti has been continuously injured for about 14 calendar months at this point, and his performance has steadily declined. Over his last few games he's been playing at a below-average level.

He's not going to get healthy again this season, so why not just shut him down? Realistically, Arthur Jones may be an upgrade at his spot, DeAngelo Tyson has played fairly well in limited snaps, and McPhee is getting healthier.

The focus for Haloti needs to be getting healthy, losing all the bad weight he picked up this offseason, and getting back to Pro Bowl form. I believe he WILL do that, but if he continues to play at his current level, his contract will look like a bad decision in retrospect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Haloti has been continuously injured for about 14 calendar months at this point, and his performance has steadily declined. Over his last few games he's been playing at a below-average level.

He's not going to get healthy again this season, so why not just shut him down? Realistically, Arthur Jones may be an upgrade at his spot, DeAngelo Tyson has played fairly well in limited snaps, and McPhee is getting healthier.

The focus for Haloti needs to be getting healthy, losing all the bad weight he picked up this offseason, and getting back to Pro Bowl form. I believe he WILL do that, but if he continues to play at his current level, his contract will look like a bad decision in retrospect.
    Ngata playing nose tackle hurt is better than Kemo and Cody combines IMO.

I also don't know where the "bad weight" thing is actually coming from.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Yeah he's not getting the push we've seen out him him before, but he isn't getting pushed back either.

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    But at the same time, when you're always in contention and have a solid roster, you can afford to take risk when drafting and just take the best player available. When you need to improve that season, you have a tendancy to reach and take a player for need and not value.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

I have been on board for a while now with moving Ngata to NT. He played the position successfully earlier in his career, it would limit his snaps and keep him fresher, and he is likely better than Kemo and Cody.

A 3-man DL of Jones at DE/DT, Ngata at NT, and McPhee/Tyson at 5-tech DE looks pretty good, with Ngata playing about 35% of snaps. Bryan Hall deserves to see some time in the rotation as well.

Haloti gained a lot of weight this offseason, it's very visible to look at if you compare 2011 to 2012. He was much more explosive in 2011, he said in the offseason that he wanted to put on weight because he felt it helped him avoid getting injured. But he was injured pretty much all throughout training camp anyway and has never gotten healthy since last year.

I guess I'm kind of speculating that it's "bad" weight, it's certainly fat and not muscle but it wouldn't be a problem for a DT if he was playing like Vince Wilfork. He isn't.

Blog Entries

Arthur Jones-Haloti Ngata-McPhee sould be the future IMO, unless they want to go into a 4-3 scheme next season.

Have you noticed that McPhee has bulked up a lot too?